Viewing 34 posts - 1,001 through 1,034 (of 1,034 total)
  • Elon Musk
  • dakuan
    Free Member

amusing as elons behaviour is, if the $/eyeball rate is attractive and they no longer have to worry about their logo being next to ImWithHimler88’s posts, the advertisers will be back.

Threads not really competition for twitter, you can’t search easily by topics, you can use it as personalised news feed like you can with twitter

convert

There’s no shortage of people on Twitter who stick the word “autistic” in their profile and use it as an excuse to justify some abhorrent behaviou

I think you’ve missed my point. This isn’t about him (or me) trying to excuse his behaviour. This is about trying to understand why he struggles with the nuance of this bit of business. He clearly has lots of other skills, but he appears not to have the capacity to understand the human condition and appreciate the art of diplomacy – both why it is needed and how you do it. If you are the dictatorial leader of a business then you might get away with it with internal communication (I’d argue it can make you a shite leader unable to get the best out of people, others might just describe him as ‘exacting’) but in the world of marketing diplomacy he simply is found repeatedly wanting. I guess the question is, does he have to self awareness to appreciate this and step back and let someone with this skillset do their thing for him. So far, it appears not.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve pretty much stopped opening Facebook through as adverts make up more than 50% of my feed. I’m just not interested in scrolling though adverts.

Click on feeds then its advert lite and everything in order.

monkeyboyjc

His attitude towards business (and pretty much everything else) has become so nonchalant the more money he’s accrued, he optimises capitalism.

I do wonder how many startups he’s invested in over the last 20+ years that have failed – we hear about the big successes but not what must also have been the many many failures. & how many of them, specifically in the ‘eco projects/business’ category, and even tesla he’s had involvement in which were started with large amounts of grant funding rather than his own personal wealth and risk.

scuttler

does he have to self awareness

No. None. Ever. He’s richer and cleverer than anyone else in a room full of yes-people.

dakuan
    Free Member

I do wonder how many startups he’s invested in over the last 20+ years that have failed – we hear about the big successes but not what must also have been the many many failures. & how many of them, specifically in the ‘eco projects/business’ category, and even tesla he’s had involvement in which were started with large amounts of grant funding rather than his own personal wealth and risk.

Hyperloop being the most self evidently stupid idea in the history of engineering.

matt_outandabout

I also wonder how many of the successful ones are off the back of him managing to wangle some investment to recruit a few key slaves talented folk to run things for him….Arguably his success is actually not him.

crazy-legs

Hyperloop being the most self evidently stupid idea in the history of engineering.

The Boring Company (the tunnel digging company responsible for building / delivering Hyperloop) was set up to prevent the Americans cottoning onto the idea of high speed rail and urban light rail / metro. HS and light rail are serious threats to car manufacturers and America is absolutely ripe for that sort of development so whenever anything like that gets proposed, EM comes along with Hyperloop proposals, does some flashy marketing, offers up the Boring Company (which so far has built a test tunnel and just under 2 miles of tunnels at the Las Vegas Convention Centre)…and then **** all happens. Projects get abandoned, costs turn out to be “optimistic” and the actual benefits are near zero – certianly orders of magnitude lower than building a proper metro system.

It’s a flashy overhyped marketing tool to prevent decent mass transit ever being built – dazzle the city authorities with a billionaire and the promise of auto-freedom zipping around efficiently underground all powered by AI and tech and wizardry.

It’s all total bollocks.

molgrips
    Free Member

He clearly has lots of other skills

Really? I mean, he’s successful, but you can become very rich with nothing more than luck and some money to start with. We only see the rich successful people, we don’t see all those people who buy companies that subsequently fold, so we don’t have much to compare with. But don’t assume he’s skilful just because he’s rich.

verses

It’s a flashy overhyped marketing tool to prevent decent mass transit ever being built – dazzle the city authorities with a billionaire and the promise of auto-freedom zipping around efficiently underground all powered by AI and tech and wizardry.

Wow, I never thought Marge and Elon would have anything in common…

nickc

Over privileged man -child has limited experience of public transport shocka…

“I think public transport is painful. It sucks. Why do you want to get on something with a lot of other people, that doesn’t leave where you want it to leave, doesn’t start where you want it to start, doesn’t end where you want it to end? And it doesn’t go all the time.” “It’s a pain in the ass,” he continued. “That’s why everyone doesn’t like it. And there’s like a bunch of random strangers, one of who might be a serial killer. 

Idiot 

kelvin
    frankconway

Quote of the day
    ‘I will certainly not pander. And, Jonathan, the only reason I’m here is because you are a friend.’

‘I’m Andrew.’

– Elon Musk in conversation with Andrew Ross Sorkin at the New York Times’s DealBook summit.

julians
    Free Member

I think public transport is painful. It sucks. Why do you want to get on something with a lot of other people, that doesn’t leave where you want it to leave, doesn’t start where you want it to start, doesn’t end where you want it to end? And it doesn’t go all the time.” “It’s a pain in the ass,” he continued. “That’s why everyone doesn’t like it. And there’s like a bunch of random strangers, one of who might be a serial killer.

Now, im no musk fan, but he’s not wrong there with his assessment of public transport.

I’m typing this from a packed train from Euston, standing room only, expensive, and awful.

kelvin

You’re missing out. You could be sat in traffic, waiting for your chance to use Musk’s 2 miles of tunnel from nowhere to nowhere.

Now, if only we built more train lines linking London to the rest of the UK, to alleviate the capacity problem identified decades ago…

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Why do you want to get on something with a lot of other people, that doesn’t leave where you want it to leave, doesn’t start where you want it to start, doesn’t end where you want it to end? 

Because the whole world isn’t arranged around my personal demands, and that’s okay?

oldnpastit

Now, im no musk fan, but he’s not wrong there with his assessment of public transport.

I’m typing this from a packed train from Euston, standing room only, expensive, and awful.

That’s a reflection of our refusal to properly do public transport in this country. Plenty of countries create awesome public transport, so it’s clearly possible, it’s just that we suck at it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Because the whole world isn’t arranged around my personal demands, and that’s okay?

Pff, hippy…

dissonance

You’re missing out. You could be sat in traffic, waiting for your chance to use Musk’s 2 miles of tunnel from nowhere to nowhere.

Ah but I have my top of the cybertruck range cyberbeast so can drive over anyone sitting in front of me in traffic watching bullets bounce off its armour. So long as someone doesnt throw a ball at it anyway.

I do like how the top in the range does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds with a small print of “with rollout subtracted”. Some US drag racing thing apparently allowing it get moving before measuring. So, not really 0 then.

FuzzyWuzzy

The latest video of them throwing a ball against a Cybertruck window again is hilarious; first time around it was a metal ball, this time a baseball and yet somehow that’s supposed to show they’ve improved it?! I’m not going to try but I’d be annoyed if a baseball thrown at that speed against my own car’s window did any damage

Poopscoop

Just to prove he’s losing it, he put a poll up on X to see if people wanted Jones reinstated…

They do but sometimes giving people what they want when advertiser’s are running away might not be a good move in 4D chess?

I’m the past Musk said this of the ban on Jones:

In one post, he cited the death of his 10-week old baby in 2002 as motivation for not reversing the ban, writing: “I have no mercy for anyone who would use the death of children for gain, politics or fame.”

Apparently he is justifying the return now as “free speech more important than ad revenue”…

Alex Jones: Conspiracy theorist set to return to X after Elon Musk poll

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67673623

nickc

Of course Alex Jones is coming back to Twitter/X. It pretty much sums it up perfectly, while at the same signally exactly where it’s headed. 

molgrips
    Free Member

“free speech more important than ad revenue”

Not when your business is funded by ad revenue, surely?

Someone give the man some philosophy books.

thols2

Someone give the man some philosophy books.

I suspect he’d probably find Martin Heidegger to his liking.

ratherbeintobago

Bloomberg reporting that Hyperloop is being shut down. This is A Good Thing as it was essentially a spoiler to stop high-speed rail being built rather than anything that was ever going to deliver.

cookeaa

Not when your business is funded by ad revenue, surely?

Isn’t half of Alex Jones business pushing questionable supplements along side his practicing of ‘free speech’.

Elon gets to have it all, unconstrained free, hate-spouting, right next to ads for Dick pills and Testosterone supplements… Win, win!

dyna-ti

Elon gets to have it all, unconstrained free, hate-spouting, right next to ads for Dick pills

Maybe thats the algorithm deciding he’s a complete dick and acting accordingly.

piemonster

I see the guy from Dukes of Hazard publicly called for Joe Biden to be hung as a reply to @ POTUS. (Now deleted)

*never saw the original post, but does seem to have happened.

Klunk
    Free Member

This is A Good Thing as it was essentially a spoiler to stop high-speed rail being built rather than anything that was ever going to deliver.

evolution came up with the “crab” five times. every time they set ai to solve transport it invents the train.

nickc

Interesting quote from Sam Altman I heard the other day.

“Elon desperately wants the world to be saved. But only if he can be the one to save it.”

Neatly sums him [and his megalomania] up I reckon.

funkmasterp

I don’t think he wants to save the world. He just wants to be the centre of attention at all times. If he wanted to save the world he wouldn’t be launching **** rockets and he’d be distributing his wealth. He’s full of shit.

devash
    Free Member

I don’t think he wants to save the world. He just wants to be the centre of attention at all times.

Exactly this. The world seems to have a big problem with leaders / influential men who never got past the toddler phase.

somafunk

FuzzyWuzzy

Watch Elon squirm in Don Lemon’s interview… https://youtu.be/hhsfjBpKiTw?si=zr4gKpdpC54_bfh7

Viewing 34 posts - 1,001 through 1,034 (of 1,034 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.