Home Forums Chat Forum eBay collecting in person – best payment method?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • eBay collecting in person – best payment method?
  • munkster
    Free Member

I don’t mind paying in any of the obvious formats but wondering what the best way is for me as the buyer? It’s for a turbo trainer which I am guessing will not be set up, so while I can kick the tyres and check it’s not obviously borked, I won’t know properly until I set it up myself. In current climate not so keen to be in their house any longer than necessary either I guess.

From what I’ve read it looks like collecting in person pretty much removes any eBay buyer protection whatever the payment method.

Any thoughts? Let’s face it, almost certain it’ll all be fine, but still… Cheers!

nickjb
    Free Member

You’d have some protection with PayPal but I doubt a seller will accept it. Cash on collection, sold as seen is the norm

scotroutes

I recently bought a 2nd hand laptop; Collected locally, paid in advance by Paypal.

monkeyboyjc

PayPal or nothing. I’ve sold a few things collection only, PayPal each time.

b230ftw
    Free Member

The PayPal collection scam doesn’t work anymore as they have provided a barcode or 6 digit number for you to give to the other person when you collect. If you enter it in it proves it has been collected. If they won’t do that then don’t give them the goods if paid by PayPal.

You can always refund and demand cash, most people are ok with this in my experience.

I have deleted PayPal as a payment option in eBay now as people can pay direct by card so you don’t have to pay PayPal fees. I sold a frame set on eBay on a £1 selling day, they paid via eBay with a card (not by PayPal) and I got £219 of the £220 selling price in my bank account.

munkster
    Free Member

Ah that’s interesting, I was wondering about that. If I pay by credit card the seller doesn’t get ruined for fees, that sounds like the winner then.

@bruneep
    am I looking at something specific? I’ve already seen that page…

andrewh
    Free Member

Just ask for it to be set up when you arrive?
    You see it working, give him cash, easy and everyone’s happy

bruneep

If you pay by paypal you are still covered for buyer protection

Items collected in person are still covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee if paid for with PayPal, however eBay Money Back Guarantee does not cover cash on collection transactions, or transactions where the item was not collected by the buyer.

Or are you looking for something else that I’ve missed?

tomhoward

Items collected in person are still covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee if paid for with PayPal,

So even though the buyer has the chance to inspect the item before buying, they still have an option to back out for 30 days after?

Another reason not to sell through eBay then…

GolfChick
    Free Member

It used to be if someone paid on collection with cash that you’d save all the fees. With eBay now taking all of the cut and not PayPal they will still charge you the same cut even if you accept cash. At least that’s what I read about the new structure.

ads678

You always had to pay fees, unless you ended the auction early or had a deal.

I’ve sold 4 things this weekend on eBay, all collect. Got t them to pay PP as I don’t want cash and haven’t set up the new eBay payment stuff. Scanned the qr code to say it’s been collected. All good.

The qr code scanning is the key, as nobody can say it hasn’t been delivered if the qr has been scanned.

nickjb
    Free Member

You always had to pay fees, unless you ended the auction early or had a deal.

You always had to pay the eBay fees. With cash you save the PayPal fees. With the new system you only pay eBay fees but at a higher percentage. Works out about the same as PayPal, more expensive if you take cash, much cheaper if you do a £1 selling offer. By taking PayPal for a collection it costs the seller money for no gain.

kerley
    Free Member

So even though the buyer has the chance to inspect the item before buying, they still have an option to back out for 30 days after?

No, they don’t have an option to “bak-out”. Then can however raise a case if the item is faulty, not as described etc,. Seem’s fine to me unless you are selling something that is faulty of course.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Pay in cash its the nice thing to do as it will save the seller 2.8%

As said though paying by paypal gives you some come back if you get it home and its borked. Then they will want the code off you to prove collection, if they don’t ask you for the code then more fool the seller as you the buyer could rip them off.

footflaps

I’ve sold things with the buyer paying via PP on the doorstep, you get an instant notification money has gone through.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘eBay collecting in person – best payment method?’ is closed to new replies.