Home Forums Chat Forum Dundee

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Dundee
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I am looking at a job in Dundee. I am 52 and live in Hertfordshire, so hopefully this one will see me retired; its a dream job.

Any thoughts on what its like, places to live and of course bike riding?
    Will I need a passport and Google translate?

bruneep
    Futureboy77
    Free Member

Dundonian born and bred, but now living in Aberdeenshire due to work.
    The past few years have seen a big change in the city for the better. Plenty of nice bars and places to eat, the V&A and there was recent talk of locating a new Eden Project in one of the local parks.
    Dundee’s location is a big advantage. Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen are all around an hour’s drive away.
    Lots of decent local riding and the Cairngorms are a shortish drive away, as is Perthshire.

Living wise, the west side of the city is nice, as is Brought Ferry on the east. I wouldn’t rule out property in Fife within commuting distance either. I’d imagine your money will go much further than you’d get in Herefordshire!

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

duckman

Dundee boy,also in the shire! First off: Fleet rule ya bass. Now that’s off my chest,cracking place to live, really good food and as said close to everything. Ferry and West end are best, but the likes of Liff and Monifieth are also lovely and minutes from the city centre.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

“Twa pehs an an ingin in anaw” Dundee has its own version of Scots. Instantly recognisable. A roundabout is know as a “circle“.

Not a bad place for biking you can head over the bridge to cycle in Fife or head north west to the Sidlaws. You are also not far from the Angus glens.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Even when dundee was shit i thought it was quite a nice place.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The main issue with Dundee isn’t the town itself or its geographical positioning… it’s the Dundonians. Never met such a bunch of loud, aggressive, argumentative people with bigger chips on their shoulders in my life. And they hate Fifers.

fasthaggis

I agree with everything that future boy and duckman said and none of what the home brewer spouted.They welcomed me in even though I was a posh Edinburgh boy, it’s an excellent location, but at the end of the day life’s what you make it and all that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never met such a bunch of loud, aggressive, argumentative people with bigger chips on their shoulders in my life

That’s Glasgow you’re thinking of.

duncancallum

i like it, only visted mind though my mums from Broughty.

also its one of the drier citys in scotland by some margin.

rainfall graph thingy

Phil_H

And they hate Fifers

Perhaps thats because they used to be charged to cross the bridge into Fife when it was free to cross from Fife into Dundee 😃😃

MrGrim

Perhaps thats because they used to be charged to cross the bridge into Fife when it was free to cross from Fife into Dundee

My Dundonian mate living in Fife used to say “best 50p I ever spent!” 😃

I’ve never lived in Dundee but grew up just up the road and visit regularly. There’s definitely been a huge change to the city in the last 10 years. Great walks along the riverside, nice pubs and restaurants. Harbourside has changed massively. Agree with the comments on looking at the Ferry or west side of the City. I would also look over the Tay in places like Tayport, Wormit, Newport-on-Tay

poly
    Free Member

And they hate Fifers.

Do they? I used to work with a lot of them, and a lot of Fifers who worked with them in Dundee – there was definitely banter, but I never once thought there was hatred. Perhaps that comes from having grown up on the west coast where we did ingrained hatred properly.

piemonster
    Free Member

Lived in Dundee for 5 years

Lived in Fife for 5 years

I don’t recognise any of what yourguitarhero posted. Assuming we manage to avoid economic apocalypse it’s not entirely out of the question we move back!

stevious

I’m in the bit between Perth & Dundee and really like it here.

Not sure how it compares to where you live now, but the ‘straight out of the door’ mtb options are a bit limited: there’s excellent riding to be had within a short drive but not much on the doorstep.

The road riding, on the other hand is outstanding. Lots of quiet roads with beautiful scenery right outside the city.

Oh, and I’d take any ‘x hates y’ stuff with a bit of a pinch of salt.

andy4d

I studied in Dundee 30 years ago and was not a fan of the city but as I said that was 30yrs ago, and I have rarely been back since. If I was working in Dundee I would look at living nearer Perth as Stevious says above as I much prefer it as a location and has great access to nearby riding (closer to comrie  etc).

clubby

City changed a lot in the last decade. Lots of regeneration but still lots of deprivation as well in certain areas.
    Lots of building going on especially along the peripheries. If you are after an older property Broughty Ferry, Monifieth and Carnoustie are all quite nice and also lots of small villages around if you don’t mind the lack of amenities. Villages along the railway line out on the Perth side are also nice.
    Do you have kids at school? If so beware of the Dundee/Angus boundary which would determine where they go to high school. North West corner which looks like Dundee is actually Angus and kids get bused to school in Monifieth on the east of Dundee.
    Lots of good biking close by. Sidlaws and Ballo both 10 minutes by car. Can be biked to but not a pleasant ride. Lots of good gravel style riding nearby, Angus has a really good Core Path Network.

scotabroad

im from Dundee originally and still have family there so regulary visit.  Lots of affordable housing options, and very quick access to the country, biking, hill walking, climbing, skiing, good sailing scene.  Traffic not too bad either.  big university scene in west end, plenty commuter options if you wish. Changed huge amount for the better in last 20 years.  I would recommend it for a dream job opportunity without hesitation.  There are large areas in the city you dont want to live, but thats the case anywhere in the UK.

scotabroad

Ps “fleet rule ya bass” haha, I thought the hilltoon huns did?  :)

Mat

I stay in Aberdeenshire (yet still feel compelled to stick my oar in), one factor you might want to consider is it’s generally colder up here, kind of stating the obvious. Through the summer when we’re bouncing around the high teens/low 20s the home counties are pushing into the 30s and obviously can be a good bit colder in winter too. Winters the last decade haven’t been very snowy but there have still been some very protracted icy snaps. Also the winters are quite dark (although you’re rewarded with endless days in summer!). None of this bothers me but I know it does get to some.

franksinatra

I used to work there when I was an account manager, spent about three days a week in the city working all over the place. I always liked it a lot. That was 15 years ago and the place has changed massively, for the better, since then. I think it is a cracking place and would be a really good move for you.

As said above, you will get waaaay more for your money than in Herts.

FWIW I am originally from Buck/Herts border. Scotland is better on pretty much every single measure and you could do a lot worse than Dundee. Go for it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yourguitarhero i think they might Just not like you!

I’ve always found them friendly.

Used to amaze dundonians o worked with that i commuted over the bridge. They could not understand how you could be over the bridge and still quite close!

Futureboy77
    Free Member

Ps “fleet rule ya bass” haha, I thought the hilltoon huns did? 🙂

Nah, Young Lochee Fleet rule! 😉
    Oh misspent youth!

dyna-ti

Birthplace of Grand Theft Auto.

joshvegas
    Free Member

And more importantly.

Lemmings

wonnyj
    Free Member

My brother went to uni there and due to various events (badly timed architecture degree pre-2008 crash, phd in architecture, job, wife, kids) never left. Seems to love it though.

Shackleton
    Free Member

I’m in Dundee (well, Liff, a village a few miles NW) and moved up from Newcastle 7 years ago to work at the University. As someone who likes open spaces with easy access to the outdoors I really like it. If you want a sophisticated city culture you probably won’t. As a city it has everything I want or need and no more. Crossing the city at rush hour takes 20 minutes. As it has a fairly high proportinon of middle class types it does have a fair bit of interest in terms of art/music/theatre etc so it isn’t the cultural desert that many paint it to be but it isn’t Edinburgh.

The natives are on the whole pretty friendly considering that I sound English in a way that winds the folk in Glasgow up no end when I open my gob there. Probably because I’m not a Fifer. ;)

I can ride on trails 2 minutes from my front door, ride to the Sidlaws mostly off road in 40 minutes and the few roads are quiet B/C roads. Ballo is 30 minutes ride away for the local enduro-style riding, Perth is 20 minutes drive for their trails, Dunkeld, Lomond hills and Pitmedden 40 minutes in the car or Comrie area is under an hour. Likewise Glensee, Glen Clova, etc are about an hour and Braemar is 90 minutes. Torridon is an easy weekend trip. If you live to the east of the city (Broughty Ferry, etc) where things are a bit more la-di-da (the women get someone to hold their chips before they pi$$ in the street) it is all rather flat and of little interest for much other than road biking (unless you also rock climb in which case you are close to the excellent Arbroath sea cliffs sports routes).

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Don’t know the city well at all but the mountain biking in the Angus Glens nearby is immense.

oldtennisshoes

Dundee has my favourite airport.

Shackleton
    Free Member

I like the airport too, basically a bus shelter with a baggage scanner. It’s nice to be able to turn up for a flight 20 minutes before departure, check in and still have time to drink a cup of coffee before boarding.

andykirk
    Free Member

Dundee is easily one of the better cities in Scotland. I lived there for a while and had a great time, it has a nice vibe about it, plenty going on. The waterfront is an abomination of bad planning and ugly buildings/ spaces but it has some lovely streets/ parks in the West End. Go for it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Have you got your Toblerone’s?

beamers

My inlaws stay just over the bridge up behind Newport on Tay.

The road riding around there is absolutely fantastic as mentioned above. For MTBing Dunkeld is only 50 mins away from Dundee and that area has some top notch MTB trails. Check out the Trailforks map for that area

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m from Arbroath originally , went to uni in Dundee.

Moved to Aberdeen for job prospects in 2008 post crash.

I’d move back to Dundee In a heart beat.

It’s a city trying to be a city ….not a town trying to be a city.

And good access to not just trails but real airports (ones where you can go somewhere useful direct )

Inbred456
    Free Member

Wife is from Newport (amazing views of Dundee at night) over the river, she then moved to Invergowrie for work (Ninewells.) She loves the place and would move back tomorrow. If I had to go back with her my choice would be Perth 15mins along the A90. It’s has a totally different feel to Dundee, it’s much more central, feels more cosmopolitan if that’s even a thing!

Ps. The A90 has had all the side exits/entries now changed to up and over/under slip roads so your chance of survival has increased dramatically.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my choice would be Perth 15mins along

At 120miles an hour maybe.

Shackleton
    Free Member

Not being a native to either Dundee feels like it is growing and thriving, Perth feels like it is slowly withering. It still has more fancy middle class shops than Dundee but I wonder for how long? Simple answer is to live between the two like me!

Inbred456
    Free Member

15mins! Ah you’re right maybe 30mins. Still it’s not a bad commute. In the Autumn sun as you reach the outskirts of Perth the trees look amazing. I’ll never tire of that view.

birky
    Free Member

Another local here. Grew up in Invergowrie, had a flat in town for a while then moved out to Birkhill 26 years ago.
    As others have said the biggest plus point is location, you don’t have to go far for good mtbing, road cycling, walking up the Angus glens, skiing at Glenshee, beaches on the Angus and Fife coast. Edinburgh is only an hour away for better shopping choices or a proper airport.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, it does sound good.
    My issue is that we have a council house, which is really good, so that limits our moving choices. Buying or renting are our options, which is a big risk.

I guess the application process will sort that out. Its at the University, so that probably means someone is lined up for the job already…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Dundee’ is closed to new replies.