Home Forums Chat Forum Driving in Wales 20mph !

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Driving in Wales 20mph !
  • swanny853

I’ve clearly not quite adapted to leaving 5 minutes earlier for each 20mph zone I need to pass through, I don’t speed but it does annoy me it takes longer.

How many 5 mile long 20mph zones do you usually go through?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sorry, sarcasm obviously doesn’t make it through the forum without emoji anymore.

Dickyboy

Sorry, sarcasm obviously doesn’t make it through the forum without emoji anymore.

It’s okay some people got it I’m sure.

swanny853

On this subject and given some of the arguments people have put forwards? I normally assume tongue in cheek as a safe default in this place but on this thread you’ll have to accept my apologies for taking things at face value.

minus
    Free Member

Some more details on the data in this bbc article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjee04vlqglo

It isn’t as clear cut; the numbers injured in 20/30 limits has decreased a bit but not by that much (only very slightly lower than 2017). Over all roads, in the same period injuries actually increased by a similar factor in the same period (presumably just statistical variation).

Essentially, the decrease in 20/30 limits isn’t so big that the change obviously caused it. More fundamentally, 30 limits were already quite safe, so making them safer doesn’t have a big impact overall on road safety.

Finally to the point that there is no cost, there is. Time is money. If going more slowly cost someone six minutes a day and their time was valued at the minimum wage, then that would have cost them around £400 per year. If that was the average across the welsh population, it would have cost the population £1.2 billion each year. Made up numbers, but illustrate that this is actually quite an expensive policy for those routinely affected.

I’m certainly not set against the policy, but it is worth being aware that it isn’t such a clear win with no downsides as some want to portray.

scaredypants

Made up numbers

predicated on assumptions along the lines of “traffic always flows at 30 in a 30”

sharkbait
    Free Member

Wales’ll have been more than that just because it was more time-critical

What about the far greater amount of signs that need changing?

Even a village with a single road through it would have double the number of signs… Each of which needed changing.

It’s the labour cost involved, not just the hardware.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.