Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 545 total)
  • Do I want a pizza oven?
  • Drac

That’s a thing of beauty Bruneep.

Yeah freezing seems pointless I’ve done it once it didn’t rise as well after being frozen, plan ahead or up the yeast for a short prove.

Firing ours up tonight for chicken tikka and probably tomorrow for pizza.

Rik
    Free Member

That Gozney Dome looks awesome!

Was thinking about a Komado bbq for next year, but this might be better. Low and slow with the door, high for pizza! Wonder how much heat it pumps out the door might even work as a patio heater too

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Some nice garlic naan is next for the koda.

grum
    Free Member

Yeah freezing seems pointless I’ve done it once it didn’t rise as well after being frozen, plan ahead or up the yeast for a short prove.

You’re doing it wrong. Also, yeast? Strictly sourdough here. 😛

themightysimmonite
    Free Member

Built my pizza oven about 5 years ago. Cost an arm and a leg. Doesn’t get used that often maybe 4-5 times a year. Takes ages to get it up to temperature (on a cold day almost 2 hours). But the whole family absolutely loves it & wouldn’t be without it.
    We love the whole drama & theatre of getting her going, tending her & feeding her.
    She repays us with awesome pizzas, followed by fresh baked bread and always a slow cooked meat joint.
    Bro-in-law has an Ooni which I am seriously considering so we have a faster and more convenient option but nothing will beat a day in the garden, several cold ones and proper wood fired pizzas.

The only things I do differently would be build the base slightly higher so I don’t crick my neck peering into the oven to see how the pizzas are getting on.
    And build a roof over it to keep the rain off. Once wet it takes some time to dry out hence the long wait to get her up to operating temperature. At teh moment I used a tarpaulin but this looks pretty ugly. Next spring I plan to upgrade to a fully covered oven.
    I’m sure she will approve.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes I’d imagine frozen is pointless if you do it wrong.

Perfect pizza after an afternoons defrost/proove at room temp the secret is not to fully prove the dough before freezing or you’ll end up with over prooved dough which leads to no rise.

I do about half a proove on the dough I’m freezing . Then it defrost in about the same time as. A portion of sauce.

Voila perfect pizza for seconds of prep.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

proper wood fired pizzas.

You won’t taste a difference between wood and gas fired.

20 minutes to get to temp is brilliant, I don’t miss spending hours nursing the ‘proper’ way’ 😁

Drac

Perfect pizza after an afternoons defrost/proove at room temp the secret is not to fully prove the dough before freezing or you’ll end up with over prooved dough which leads to no rise.

Probably the later part where I went wrong as it was left over from a pizza party. Tasted fine but wasn’t as light.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Trial and error for me to find out

My next project once building control come is to build a covered composite decking in the L formed by my utility room and my extension with a clear roof and half sides….perhaps with storm shutters ……

For the ooni the BBQ , my hammock and an outbacker stove in the corner ……

Make winter outside cooking more pleasurable.

Drac

Tonight’s tikka.

coconut
    Free Member

Im sure this has been asked a lot before but… can you tell any difference in taste of a pizza cooked with the gas, or wood ooni ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No.

Koda 16 takes less than 2 minutes to cook a pizza, wood smoke just won’t make a difference at that temp, time.

Drac

Im sure this has been asked a lot before but… can you tell any difference in taste of a pizza cooked with the gas, or wood ooni ?

It has yes about 3 replies above. The answer is no as not only is the time too short but the smoke goes up a chimney.

toby1

The answer is no as not only is the time too short but the smoke goes up a chimney.

Completely true, but there’s a smugness that comes from cooking it with wood too, only import to people like me 😉

Drac

Oh! Yes there is that I may still build a wood one yet.

grum
    Free Member

I wanted a wood-fired Ooni but I got the Koda as it was the only thing available at the time. I love a real charcoal BBQ and low and slow smoking etc but the convenience of the Koda is fantastic, means it gets used all the time.

I would like a big wood-fired oven too though, just because.

Drac

Pizzas tonight weren’t a huge success as I think I killed the yeast, still tasty though. Can I recommend ‘nduja as a topping absolute game changer.

DrP

I’m having a kiddies pizza party on sat…
    I’m gonna make me my favourite pizza topping…steak and egg… mmmmmm

DrPizza

DavidB
    Free Member

Dammit this thread has cost me £300. Koda incoming

ugarizza
    Free Member

Tried mine yesterday, main issue was they didn’t slide off the peel.
    What’s the answer to this?
    More flour on the peel?

bruneep

what peel? more flour will just burn the base. Are you overloading the pizza, load pizza on counter and slide onto peel remember less is more.

Try a wooden peel to launch and a alu one for turning

sadexpunk

whether its a wooden (better) or alu peel for loading, youre better off stretching the dough to size, then plopping onto the peel which has been pre-loaded with semolina/rice flour/polenta.

these are more like tiny balls rather than flour, and assist the pizza dough to slide off the peel. chuck the toppings on as quick as possible then straight into the oven…..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Wooden peels for loading (basic ones from Amazon are perfectly fine but have doubled in price since I got ours) – metal peel for turning during cooking.

grum
    Free Member

Tried mine yesterday, main issue was they didn’t slide off the peel.

Too much/too wet ingredients is usually the issue IMO.

Drac

Wooden peels work better, prep the pizza on the peel but sprinkle with ground rice flour first just a light covering. Vented peels are supposed to be better still but I’ve not tried one yet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If your loading it on the peel, give it a shake every wee while whilst loading, helps to stop it sticking.

And as little semolina flour as you can, if you must.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Great advice. I’ll get rice flour/semolina and a wooden peel. Trying again later today without those, so will do the keep moving it technique.
    The second problem was my dough balls really didn’t want to stretch into a disc at all.
    Thinking that’s lack of kneading for initial mix?

grum
    Free Member

Yeah it’s good to do a shake test before ‘launching’. I often just lift the edges with another peel and this is enough to stop the sticking.

When you say didn’t want to stretch do you mean it broke up? Maybe you’re not using high enough protein flour?

Drac

If it has stuck blow underneath an edge and it should lift, you can even blow a little flour under.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The second problem was my dough balls really didn’t want to stretch into a disc at all.

Could be a few things, how long did you prove for?.

grum
    Free Member

Today’s efforts

ugarizza
    Free Member

better results today, cheers!
    Came out better today, thanks guys.

One thing, we’re seeing a small thin burnt line all the way under the crust on the base.
    Any tips on removing that?

And any tips on avoiding surface charring?

theotherjonv

small thin burnt line? Don’t know that, you haven’t go a mark or imperfection on the stone have you? Try the other side?

Charring – too much heat, turn more often / don’t put as far back in the oven

DrP

See.. now I used to top it ON the peel… but now i find that making the pizza on a floured surface , THEN QUICKLY adjusting metal peel under, then QUICKLY loading into the oven works best…

ymmv

DrP

ugarizza
    Free Member

I can see the logic in that technique, I’ll try it.

https://pasteboard.co/JvblOU5.jpg
    Not sure how to get pics in but really happy with today’s results. Amazing to have pizza that tastes as good as in a restaurant at home!!
    Such a fun process to make it as well.
    Just got to use it a few times now to justify the cost!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks great!

Amazing to have pizza that tastes as good as in a restaurant at home!!

Yes, this in spades!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Although spades don’t make the best pizza peels (too much curve) 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s a shovel you’re thinking of….

Drac

That looks really good.

beagle
    Free Member

I’ll second what Drac says. Lovely. What technique is everyone using for stretching them?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 545 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.