Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 545 total)
  • Do I want a pizza oven?
  • mahalo

might be a daft question. when cooking with gas do you leave the door off when initially heating up the oven?

sadexpunk

not on mine, there are venting holes in the top…..

Educate her that less is more – and don’t put topping right up the the edge of the pizza.

haha that made me smile, theyre the exact words i use to her every time. always the same answer, “leave me alone, i like loading mine up” 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

might be a daft question. when cooking with gas do you leave the door off when initially heating up the oven?

There is no door on an ooni buddy, it’s the stone your heating.

mahalo

mines a Karu 12. it comes with an impressive looking insulated door. it does say in the bumf that its to be left off when coking with gas – but i wasnt sure if it should stay on during the initial heat-up?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ah, sorry, no experience of those! Youtube is your friend.

wait4me

Christened the koda 12 last night. Just wow! Wish I could be bothered to post a pic as they looked as good as they tasted. First mouthful my wife took and she just said “oh my god that’s good”. Used the dough I’d frozen that I’d previously done in the oven. I’m sure somewhere in this thread somebody asked why not just cook them in a hot oven and save yourself a couple of hundred quid. I can’t believe how wrong they were. Best purchase decision I’ve made in a long time. Thanks for everyone on here for inspiring me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Made a batch of dough for the freezer this morning – great to be able to knock up a perfect garlic pizza to go with the pasta in just 15 mins.

grum
    Free Member

Nice one @wait4me – one of my best toys also 🙂

First mouthful my wife took and she just said “oh my god that’s good”.

🤭

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@wait4me superb, know what you mean about the pics, tbh the first few pizzas you make are a blur!

wait4me

You’re not wrong Nobeer, it all felt a bit frantic. At one point I thought it’d gone horribly wrong.

And the amount of times I’ve told Mrs W4Me not to talk with her mouth full Grum 😂

DavidB
    Free Member

Our local baker is selling frozen ready made pizza dough. Tried it last week 10x better than mine. Top result. Just need a local mozzarella farm and I’m sorted.

mahalo

made some dough that seemed alright. the rest of the experience was a disaster tho. most of it get hoyed in the bin… lots of lessons, lots more still to learn.

i really hope the next cook is successful or i fear it may be the last!

grum
    Free Member

What went wrong mahalo and maybe we can help? Stick with it it’s worth it!

mahalo

well it started raining so the operation had to move inside which was a ball ache and elevated stress levels. then id read the base should be almost transparent, so we rolled the first very thin, but could not get the peel under it! then we assembled one on the peel but couldnt get it off into the oven… we finally got one to work with a ton of flour but in frustration completely forgot cheese (so the kids had a burnt base with barely melted cheese) while i was outside dicking about with that the mrs had rolled out an applied toppings to the rest of the dough indoors but obviously they were glued to the worktop too. ripped to shreds trying to get the peel under em!! just lobbed the lot in the bin!! even managed to find some Nduja which was wasted too!

i have ordered a couple of wooden paddles which they seem to use in all the vids. this should make the supply chain easier. and im told flour flour flour, even more than you’d think?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

then id read the base should be almost transparent

Na, thats pish, ignore.

All the other stuff is sorted by having a wee system, Just do one pizza at a time though, it’s not like making pizza in oven, it’s too quick to be trying to sort the next pizza while one is cooking.

I use an alu peel, don’t use much flower on the base, it just burns. Keep it moving to stop it sticking, and don’t hang about. Sounds like you may have went for a high hydration too, don’t do that, get used to something a bit easier to handle first, then try higher hydration once confident.

sharkbait
    Free Member

i have ordered a couple of wooden paddles which they seem to use in all the vids. this should make the supply chain easier. and im told flour flour flour, even more than you’d think?

Ok, it’s pretty simple TBH

1) if rolling the dough out do it on a floured surface and make sure you can lift it – if it’s too thin you’ll get holes which is bad. Experiment.
    2) use a wooden peel (cheap is fine) and make sure you either flour it (rub the flour in to the wood) or sprinkle it with semolina before putting the base on. I think the latter is better – think of the semolina as ball bearings that the base will sit/roll on.
    2) don’t put anything on the base until it’s on the peel
    3) don’t add a load of toppings and wait until you’re ready too cook it- too much pizza sauce will make the base soggy and it will stick to the peel.
    4) when launching the pizza into the oven put the peel quite a long way into the oven (so that the pizza is fully in the oven) then give it a forwards then backwards shake and the pizza should move forwards onto the pizza stone…… then pull the peel out gently leaving the pizza behind.
    5) change to the metal peel and after 20 seconds slide it under the pizza and pull it out(don’t be shy… by this time the base will have cooked a bit so shouldn’t fold up), turn it 180 degrees and put it back in for another 20 seconds* – repeat twice but turn by 90 degrees then 180 degrees so all sides have been cooked.
    Remove from the oven and slide back onto the wooden peel.

* keep an eye on the pizza all the time – this time could be less.

Don’t put oil on the pizza before cooking – it will burn quicker.
    If you’re doing garlic pizza [with garlic butter] – it will cook really quickly, so consider turning the gas down to reduce the heat from above.

EDIT: Don’t even think about doing something else while cooking the pizzas – they’ll burn!!

FB-ATB

We find a wooden peel works for making the pizza and launching then the metal to remove from oven. When we just had the metal peel they were harder to remove without too much flour

grum
    Free Member

Yeah good advice above but just to reiterate don’t try and make them too thin at first, and remember to really go easy on the toppings. Are you using good high protein pizza flour?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thin n crispy is so 2019, it’s all about the neapolitan now! Sourdough even better!

WipeOut
    Free Member

To the person who asked if you can run butane on a Ooni.

I am not a gas engineer, but I’ve been running butane fine for a few months. You just need a different regulator.

mahalo

so were finally getting the hang of it now.

but we have had to give back the borrowed burner. new burners are like rocking horse shit online. has anyone any idea where there might be one available? Also there appears to be 2 models, the ‘gas burner’ and ‘gas burner for ooni pro’ the latter ones are widely available – has anyone used this with an oven thats not an ooni pro?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think the pro one doesn’t fit a normal ooni.

mahalo

i think that too, just wondered why or if anyone had tried/bodged it…

Drac

I did somewhere that had them In some stores, it may be Dobbies let me check out the Facebook group where I seen them.

mahalo

awesome thanks

mahalo

well that was a waste of an afternoon and half a tank of fuel. still, nice to get get out!!

Drac

No luck?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did you do click and collect on the dobies site before going ? Showing stock to local store for tomorrow for me

shinton
    Free Member

First use of the ooni on Friday and everyone raved about the pizza. I bought some Caputo gluten free flour and can recommend it for anyone who has the same requirements. I slightly mis-read the instructions and piled all the ingredients into the mixer but should have mixed the flour and water for 5 minutes, then added the yeast, oil and salt and mixed for a further 2 minutes. The mix was a bit on the wet side but good enough to roll out by hand with some extra flour and by the end I had managed to get a raised crust around the outside, but on the last pizza the dough was slightly under although the topping and crust looked well done.

I also bought a fold up aluminium table from Argos which worked really well. Big enough to hold the oven plus plenty of space for flour and plates. It folds up really small so can be stored alongside the oven.

Does anyone use a temperature gun?

mahalo

Did you do click and collect on the dobies site before going ? Showing stock to local store for tomorrow for me

it said click and collect was available to collect the next day for me too, at 3 local stores (marple, Alty and Preston) but i wanted it that same day. i all phoned 3 stores hundreds of times but nobody answered. i called the HQ but she didnt know which stores had what stock of anything. so i just drove down to Marple. they had none. i showed them the click and collect thing but they still had none. i went over to the altrincham store, same story. CBA going to Preston.

we ended up christening the fuel tray and got a wood fire going. amazing. bit of a faff but im in less of a rush for the gas burner now…!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Unlikely stock is held at any of the local stores if it’s for order collect tomorrow. That’ll be a warehouse dispatch.

Anyway. Made a batch of dough Friday so have had a few pizzas this weekend. Nice making them in the day light . Easier to judged cookedness

DavidB
    Free Member

Made off the scale amazing rump steaks in ours at the weekend. Lovely crust and rare inside. Sadly the grill pan melted a tad!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Late to the party but I made this oven back in spring 2016 from an old hearthstone I had dug up, some spare bricks from a neighbour and puddling clay acquired from the local canal works for a donation.
    Pizza oven

Fitted a Vitcas thermometer to the door (old worktop backed with masterboard left over from wood stove installation)
    Door

I made a stainless steel peel from some spare sheet cut to 1/2” narrower than the doorway and welded to some 1” od tube, with the handle wrapped in bar tape.
    Makes a difference when used with polenta/semolina under the dough.
    Pizza

Total cost was about £45 including the cement for the bricks. Pizzas cook in about 90 seconds.

Drac

That’s well cool.

Yeah steaks and the likes are outstanding done in the oven but make sure your cast iron pan is sufficient for the temps.

phil5556

Wife’s birthday present finally arrived yesterday (I ordered it about a month ago).

We eat quite a lot of pizza and think we might eat a lot more now 🙂

First one out of the oven for last nights dinner.

grum
    Free Member

Looks great, much better than my first efforts!

I’m gonna crank mine up shortly for the first time in a while. 🙂

dufresneorama
    Free Member

We fired up the pizza oven a few weeks ago for the first time this year. Eventually got round to building a door, so the morning after, I plonked a pork leg in the there and left it for 9 hours… It was falling apart.
    Same the following week but with a chicken, again, well worth it for Sunday dinner after Saturday night pizzas.

Before we cooked some pizza, 1 kg of tomahawk steak… It was awesome

beagle
    Free Member

Ok – so I’m doing well after 8 months of ownership with the Koda. Dough is really good and I do a 72hr prove. I’m in a routine. I’m going to be testing myself soon.

Has anyone either a) taken ingredients and dough with them and cooked away from home? If so, any tips being away from the kitchen? Or b) taken theirs camping? We have an upcoming trip with friends and I’ve been asked to bring it along. If so, what type of dough would suit? I’d worry about keeping it all cool in summer.

I’m also intrigued by ready made dough/bases too. It’s not in the spirit of things but if I took it along post ride somewhere – it could work well if I can find any to a good standard.

Anyone had a good result playing away from home with your ovens?

Tom-B
    Free Member

So, my Ooni Koda 12 just landed….25% off from John Lewis too….thank you staff discount!!!

A question…..will I be able to swap out the supplied regulator to run it off the 6kg Calor Red propane bottles that we use in our motorhome, or does it have to run on patio gas?

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 545 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.