Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 545 total)
  • Do I want a pizza oven?
  • Drac

I’ve honestly no idea how much gas I use per pizza. What I do know is that now I’ve had it for a couple of months I’m much more efficient in preparing them and cooking them.

At a guess I’ve made around 60 pizzas, 16 Naan’s, loads of tikka, crispy duck was finished in it and probably 4 or 5 lots of red meat portions.

Out of 10kg bottle I’ve got about half left, I did one very inefficient pizza party at my parents where taking and drinking meant it burned for almost 2 hours for about 10 pizzas. 😂

The gaslight 10kg is incredibly light so great for a mobile pizza oven which is kind of the point.

grum
    Free Member

Pretty sure I saw some figures for gas usage on the website or in the manual.

DrP

The gaslight 10kg is incredibly light so great for a mobile pizza oven which is kind of the point.

I heard it’s soo light, it only weighs 3 or 4 kg…

DrP

😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Ajaj. Patio gas is also a mugging. For the same gas

Red bottle regular propane is the one

trail_rat
    Free Member

0.28kg/hr for regular koda btw.

grum
    Free Member

trail_rat – can you let us know how cheap your gas was and how expensive the other options are again please? I feel like you haven’t really hammered the point home yet.

I think my gas was around £1.30 for an hour’s use according to that rate, not exactly gonna break the bank.

Drac

I heard it’s soo light, it only weighs 3 or 4 kg…

Yup probably about how much the bottle weighs. 😀

Yes I could have bought a cheaper red calor bottle but it’s not exactly portable.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Thats very helpful guys. Thank you.

Ajaj, that is very helpful but you really need to get out more 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooni Koda 16 arriving between 1245 and 1345! Exicited? Moi? 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I really want a pizza oven (we have a family pizza night every Saturday where we all make our own pizzas from scratch) but my wife doesn’t see the point of an oven because ‘they cook them too quickly so where is the value in one’!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

My dad was living with us last month.

Not a pizza fan as he is medically coeliac and often he just gets pre made full of preservative/sugar crap or when made at home in the oven the already dry gf dough dries out too quick as the oven takes too long to cook them

I’d played about with gf bread flour and made cookies(supposed to be pizza….. Just doesn’t work and tastes rank.

Bruneep gave me some left over fioreglut Caputo gf flour….what a difference. You can tell the difference as a non coeliac but the dough actually acts like pizza dough and the cooked texture is different to gf bread flour much closer to gluten based flour Dough. I’ve eaten worse real pizzas from pizzarias…..

You have to work it different and you need deep pockets….. 7quid a kilo for fioreglut.-unless anyone has a better supplier.

Tdlr

He’s just got him self a koda off the EU website he enjoyed the pizzas made in ours so much.

grum
    Free Member

£4.95 here but there is a delivery fee.

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/caputo-gluten-free-flour-1kg

Good for lots of other pizza ingredients though. Their cured meats are really good and not too expensive. Guanciale and truffle salami are both excellent on a pizza.

Enjoy nobeeerinthefridge – I’m slightly jealous of your extra girth.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah yes sorry should have been clear….I need an EU delivery option.

Tried buying in the EU and it’s even more monies.

I did try and get it of adimaria as I just got my own Caputo from there last week.

I should have got it delivered here before he went back

benp1

We had a pizza night last night, probably our last of the year because of the weather

I bought the unni 2s due to this forum a good few years back, gets used a good few times a year. It’s ace

Decided to do it in the day for dinner time. Pulled my last batch of frozen dough (jamie oliver recipe) and tomato sauce out the freezer, was defrosted in time

Because it was last minute I didn’t have any mozzarella, used cheddar. Definitely not as good but still nice. My favourites are still garlic bread, just delicious

I use a metal peel to remove from the oven and a wooden chopping board to put it inside. Rolling takes place on a spare kitchen floor tile (2ft square) and then chopping takes places on a differnt kitchen floor tile before putting on a plate. Also use semoline on the chopping board which aids flicking into the oven

Despite making many many pizzas now I still don’t think I’ve made a perfectly round one! They range from vaguely roundish through ovals and rectangles to triangles and ‘splat’ looking ones. They’re all lovely

I forgot about one of the garlic breads and one side burned badly, was on fire coming out of the oven. I ate that bit and gave the good bit to the family. It was delicious

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s landed! Impressive bit of kit, got a free Ooni baseball cap too (not free when you pay 400 quid for a pizza oven to be fair!).

Off to my lbs to get Propane now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Now I have a fully functioning kitchen again we are back to capacity on pizza.

25 kilos of Caputo arrived earlier in the week.

Tonight was about testing different size doughballs to find the sweet spot.

One thing -ive been using bread flour for the last few weeks due to lack of storage for buying in more Caputo and an abundance of bread flour…..frankly bread flour pizza is shit. It just feels different to work heavy lifeless – not very stretchy and for want of a better word…bready when cooked.

Getting back on Caputo tonight just highlighted how crap they have been.

Anyway I found a 400g dough ball the sweet spot for a regular koda . 450 as too big for the oven and the ooni 250 g ball makes tiny pizza.

Tonight is garlic and chilli prawn on one and thin choriZo on the other.

sadexpunk

Pulled my last batch of frozen dough (jamie oliver recipe) and tomato sauce out the freezer, was defrosted in time

for some reason i never have much success with frozen dough, its always crap when defrosted. at what point are you freezing yours? and how long do you leave it out before cooking, just long enough to defrost?

Anyway I found a 400g dough ball the sweet spot for a regular koda . 450 as too big for the oven and the ooni 250 g ball makes tiny pizza.

blimey, thats about twice the weight of mine (200g, sometimes a bit less) and i make them around 10″, are yours really thick then?

trail_rat
    Free Member

No just the full size of the oven.

I found the 10 inch ones to be too small too much crust seems you can get about 14 inch into a standard koda

trail_rat
    Free Member

and how long do you leave it out before cooking, just long enough to defrost?

About 4hrs. Has to get defrosted and up to room temp other it’s pretty unworkable and prone to tearing

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Away this weekend, won’t get to use the koda til next week. 😔

Terry, what you storing the Caputo in? One of those big blue food barrels?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Exactly one of those…. It’s not big enough thought 30ldoesnt hold 25kilo it Hilda’s about 23kg

grum
    Free Member

Just did steaks in a cheap eBay cast iron sizzler pan in the Koda – best steaks I’ve ever made. The fat crisps up brilliantly at around 500C 🙂

I’ve found freezing dough works fine, I normally do it once they’ve been shaped into individual pizza dough balls and had a little while proving in the fridge.

sadexpunk

I’ve found freezing dough works fine, I normally do it once they’ve been shaped into individual pizza dough balls and had a little while proving in the fridge.

so youre freezing individual balls? in what? a sandwich bag for each one maybe?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I do the same individual balls …. Olive oiled clingfilm

grum
    Free Member

I have used sandwich bags but I’ve also just put them together in the freezer (oiled) in the Ooni proving containers I got. They kinda squish together a little depending how many there are but they separate again easily.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Double dunt on the pizzas this weekend

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Koda 16 is here, and it’s awesome!.

Any recommendations for mozarella? Generally been quite happy with Aldi grated stuff, but it burns in koda earlier than I’d like, and I don’t like burnt cheese.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Any tips please for best value gas tank for an ooni koda, and where to buy from?
    Delivered would be best as we’re in isolation 😮

sadexpunk

but it burns in koda earlier than I’d like, and I don’t like burnt cheese.

can you alter the heat on the kodas or is it as it comes?

i ask as in the bumph for my firepod, the maker states that tests showed 320 degrees is the optimum temp for a pizza oven, so thats what he made them go up to. i believe the oonis go higher than that so just wondered whether you can set them a bit lower?

Drac

Any recommendations for mozarella?

M&S posh ones in the tub let them drain in a sieve about an hour before.

Any tips please for best value gas tank for an ooni koda, and where to buy from?

Local caravan/campsite supplier they’re generally cheaper too.

can you alter the heat on the kodas or is it as it comes?

Yes, they’re gas so can be turned down.

twistedpencil

@ugarizza depends where you are Cheshire Gas were good for me, suspect there are loads of outfits similar to them around the country.

theotherjonv

can’t remember brand but comes in a blue and red bag, most supermarkets. Drain it and tear it into pieces and then leave to air dry on a piece of kitchen towel before using, otherwise it makes the pizza soggy

grum
    Free Member

Fior di latte mozzarella from adimaria is really good for pizzas.

Someone mentioned it on here but I’ve found that heating the Koda really super hot (500c ish) then turning the heat right down just before you put the pizza in gives best results.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Thanks,I think I found a local gas supplier.
    Propane 37mb right?

twistedpencil

Yep thats right.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Thanks

TheBrick
    Free Member

Cheapest gas will be a 47kg propane tank. They are massive though! 19kg more manageable. You may need a different regulator if you are currently using a BBQ gas or patio gas canister.

bruneep
    DrP

I’ve given up freezing the dough too… I use 500gm flour, 300gm water, and make 4 pizzas from that…

As there’s just 3 of us, I make a spare for tomorrow now…

DrP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No such thing as spare pizza!!

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 545 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.