Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 545 total)
  • Do I want a pizza oven?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Cut off patio gas regulator and throw it in the bin.

Mine runs off a regular 13kg propane can .

I have quick release beyonets on the koda hose and the Weber and the receptical on the cannister hose from regulator. One regulator two appliances and quick change over.

Drac

Yes you can just swap the pipe and regulator over. One of each is probably not a bad idea.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

beagle, I’d happily keep dough in cool box, as I do cold overnight proves on it anyway so no different really.

If you really wanna keep it easy, half cook the pizza before you go just with sugo, then when you’re away, mozzarella and your choice of toppings, quick blast and done. It’ll still be really good pizza.

We do this when hillwalking, wee yin potters on a beach or in a river until it heats up, pizza after a big hill day is just the best.

chaos

Could try freezing the dough and with any luck it will defrost & prove in time for the first night if taken out in the morning, or for the second night, keep it in the cool box until late that second morning.  That’s my thinking anyway as we tend to make a big batch and freeze half for future use at home.

toby1

Dough will come out at about 3pm today after about 42 hour second prove in the fridge (sourdough). There didn’t seem to have been too much change in the dough when I had a quick peak last night. I’ve not left a sourdough base this long before, interested to see how it comes out.

I haven’t used the oven for a month or so, I’m looking forward to some tasty food later though 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shite bags. Forgot to make Dough for tea tonight……..

Speed prove in the warming rack of the oven it is.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Cheers for the info folks 👍

Drac

Shite bags. Forgot to make Dough for tea tonight……

Check out for a fast dough

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/10/dan-lepard-pizza-dough-tomato-sauce-recipes

trail_rat
    Free Member

Beer ……. Beer In a pizza….. We don’t have beer to be wasting like that:)

Drac

It gave me an excuse to have some at 11am yesterday, well I say excuse I mean less justification. Rises really fast but I messed up forgot to put it the fridge and over proofed a little, the lids flying off the proofing pots should have given it away.

ahsat

Does anyone have a Stadler (I did do a search first with little luck)? Friends of mine have them and rave about them (and say it’s better than their parents Ooni). They really aren’t cheap but would also fit our requirements of acting as an outdoor stove in our v small garden. We cook pizza most weeks in the kitchen oven.

https://www.stadlermade.com/products/outdoor-oven/

theotherjonv

Forgot to make Dough for tea tonight……

never panic, as well as fast prove recipes like above you can also go with unrisen dough and make pflammkeuchen.

(which, given I don’t really like tomato, is actually nicer than pizza to me) Many recipes on line, eg:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jun/24/how-to-make-the-perfect-flammekueche-recipe-felicity-cloake

I’ve made this without a specific prove and it’s also just fine – make dough, cover, set up oven and give 15 mins to warm up while cutting onions (get them small and they’ll cook on the base, if too thick microwave and then squeeze in kitchen towel) and then used the dough after that so probably 25-30 mins after making it.

Now checking weather forecast to see if the rain sods off in time for tarte flambee for tea.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh they worked quite well. Not as much rise in the crust as I would have liked but good elasticity.which was unexpected given the lack of prove -c1 hour in the keep warm setting on oven in the bowl followed by 2 hours balled in the keep warm setting.

ugarizza
    Free Member

@trail rat
    Could I ask please what brand of 00 flour you are using?
    And any tips to not burn the base?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Blue Caputo – buy it’s 28kg at a time and keep it in the sealed blue buckets linked to earlier in the thread….or might have been the last one :/

Re not burning – turn often after the initial 90 seconds. If you watch the base carefully you can seethe colour change on the front edge and it lifts from the stone slightly indicating it’s ready to be flicked round -ymmv everyone seems to have their own trick

ugarizza
    Free Member

Thanks. That’s the one we use too. We’re going to follow your method in next batch.
    Your photos look perfect.

burko73

I put quick connectors on my roccbox hose and have a propane and butane regulator as I have both tanks for our motorhome. The orange propane tank gets used in the winter and butane in the summer. I think the butane burns better in the summer with a little more heat. Propane better in winter as it gases of at a lower temp but doesn’t ultimately get as hot. The quick fits just mean I can connect or the other and rescue th8ngs if one tank is a bit low.

I use the ooni overnight prove recipe and add a bit of olive oil to the dough. Blue caputo flour makes for easy dough handling and good pizza. Less is more on toppings. Those lidded dough trays are handy for proving. Picked some up cheap from some website.

rossburton
    Free Member

Really fancying a pizza oven about now. Do we all agree that the gas Ooni’s ovens are as good as they look?

theotherjonv

I think there are better ones available now but for the money I don’t regret mine at all, and I feel no need to replace or upgrade.

toby1

Really fancying a pizza oven about now. Do we all agree that the gas Ooni’s ovens are as good as they look?

There’s a new one coming with a glass door that looks pretty good. Although the marketing on facebook is annoying me.

I can’t knock my Karu it’s seen a reasonable amount of use over the last year and aside from some coking (I use charcoal and wood), it’s showing no signs of wear and tear. Would recommend.

DrP

i’m needign to get some gas hosing and quick connectors to switch between the weber and the ooni..
    I’ll google, but where are you lot getting your hose stuff from please?

DrP

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mine came from Amazon…..silver line hose (so I’m amazed I didn’t blow up yet )

Connectors no idea which brand

grum
    Free Member

V happy with my gas Ooni but kinda wish I’d got the 16 version.

Latest effort with the Koda.

Rich_s

I ended up with an ooni a few weeks back. Pellets from Wolesley (5.50 for 10kg). Frozen dough (so sue me) so we could get into the swing of things.

Pulled the stone out for a brush and it broke in half, in my hand, with only the slightest touch. Bit unimpressed so I emailed ooni asking for some free shipping, and a brand new stone arrived 2 days later FOC. So a bit more impressed now.

Pizzas are lovely. I’m happier with them than the kids are but it does take a while to get your eye in. Got a thermometer now and semolina flour for dusting has helped with burnt bottoms.

Looking forward to some more over the weekend…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not too much flour, move quickly, no need for semolina flour. As you say, there’s a wee learning curve there.

redmex
    Free Member

I know the ooni is de facto head of home pizza but I’m skint buying a 3.0 Z4 when I already have a 2.0 now for sale. Great cheap car for someone
    Anyway I’ve purchased a big horn pizza ooni copy for £109 delivered to my door tomorrow hopefully, has anyone heard of them or bought one themselves?
    I now need pellets, might have to bite the bullet and pay the £20 ooni bag

Drac
    redmex
    Free Member

Thanks Drac I managed to get 20kg from Wolesely and the big horn delivery yesterday
    Just need to remember my time in Florence to a pizza and gelato afternoon but maybe too much free drink consumed as half of the 30 in the class were Muslim

Fired it up and made toasted cheese

johndoh
    Free Member

I saw an Ooni in the flesh for the first time ever on Saturday – bloody hell, there’s not much to them is there? The profit margins must be vast!!!

rossburton
    Free Member

But they work so damn well. I was happy to give them the money for their effort.

johndoh
    Free Member

But they work so damn well.

I understand that – but I don’t think I could justify the money personally. Maybe one day.

rossburton
    Free Member

We went for a gas Kodi 12, definitely not an ‘impulse buy’ but it does turn dinner into a bit of an event, which is fun with the kids. Gas for minimal fuss, goes from boxed up in the garage to hot enough to cook in about 15 minutes.

theotherjonv

depends how much you like pizza and/or buy takeaway.

If you think the cost of an Ooni is high, don’t for goodness look at the costs of Domino’s to feed a family gathering

wait4me

I definitely think getting mine for £200 in their Black Friday offer was the best bit of business I’ve done in a long time. Would be tricky to justify at £300 I agree. That said it’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought and use it not far off weekly. Certainly more joy than the Nutribullet, Crockpot or spirallizer ever brought.

pizza

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you think the cost of an Ooni is high, don’t for goodness look at the costs of Domino’s to feed a family gathering

Absolutely, or even look at it versus the cost of a family BBQ, pizza ingredients are cheaper than chips!.

johndoh
    Free Member

We have pizza night every Saturday (all homemade) and get by using the oven cranked up to max. I’d love an Ooni but I can’t justify spending that amount on one as what I can make in the oven is good enough 🙁

Drac

I saw an Ooni in the flesh for the first time ever on Saturday – bloody hell, there’s not much to them is there?

I seen a road bike the other day, bloody hell there’s not much to them is there?

I’d love an Ooni but I can’t justify spending that amount on one as what I can make in the oven is good enough

I use to think that, even claimed it on here. I was wrong, very wrong.

Lakeland do 20% off vouchers to previous customers, if you can get hold of one those then it’ll save you a lump.

redmex
    Free Member

Well the £109 Ooni copy works perfect with my £10 lidl pizza peel
    An ooni one costs £35
    Eco friendly wood straw firelighters from B&M £2
    I would like an Ooni but for £200 less I’m happy with my stainless steel Chinese copy, just needs a wee rub with Emery cloth so no sharp edges
    Are Ooni made in China ?

Drac

Yes I think they are.

Peel wise. I have one Onni and a selection of Aliexpress specials, plus a few wooden bargain ones being sold off last year in B&Q.

johndoh
    Free Member

I seen a road bike the other day, bloody hell there’s not much to them is there?

And they can be equally overpriced 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 545 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.