Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 545 total)
  • Do I want a pizza oven?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Do I want a pizza oven?

Of course you need one as it is better to have it when you want one then without one.

I have two portable Weber BBQs but do I need one? NO, but I need two!

mmcd

I have a Roccbox, it’s fantastic and pretty portable but not cheap. If you’ve got a kettle bbq a Weber pizza stone ( I’m sure others are available and cheaper) is a good way to spend £50.

LAT

30 mins is the wood ooni.<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>The gas ones 15.</span>

To be completely specific, I was referring g to a brick wood-fired oven and none of the products offered by Ooni

I use my ooni indoors… haven’t died yet..

my wife is possibly more safety conscious than you and trust me, will die!

BigJohn

I’m just sitting in the garden (having just done the NHS clap) and having eaten perfectly cooked pork chops on the Weber travel BBQ. I’ve thought of a uuni but the reality is we only have pizza on Friday nights after we’ve got back from the pub (remember that?) And we want it quick, so a Tesco job with a few additions.
    I rationalised that what I should do is stick to our normal routine but every time we went out to a place that has wood fired pizza, I should order that. With the extra benefit that it’s the cheapest thing on the menu.

cchris2lou

I built mine with a gym ball, it is next to the bbq and get used all year round.
    Not so much for pizzas but it is great for marinated chicken. Or when I bbq for lots of people, keep the food warm.
    Probably cost 50 euros.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Indeed .

My point was more sensible options exist

I mean we didn’t discount buying an electric car because long ago in history a car may have ran on Steam and needed the fire to be hot before our journey did we .

jaminb
    Free Member

Just do it (from a T5, audi owner). Love ours but wasted in lock down – you need to be sociable to justify the logs but it does serve as an oven for other cooking and fire pit with directional heat

Drac

That’s some setup.

LAT

Certainly looks better than my Breville

sweaman2
    Free Member

Curious (and could probably Google) what does the much higher temperatures improve with respect to a pizza?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gives your base a crunch without drying it out like the oven/stone combo does.

sadexpunk

is the trick to heat it from the side/top then?

i know i had good results from my £40 aldi BBQ pizza oven but it just didnt seem to hold the heat for more than 2 pizzas. i thought id put it on a lower grill, plop a load of briquettes on instead of lumpwood for longer heat but…… it burnt the bases. proper black charcoal just seconds after being on the stone.

if higher heat makes a better pizza, am i right in thinking thats not the case for the stone?

trail_rat
    Free Member

it burnt the bases. proper black charcoal just seconds after being on the stone.

The ooni would do that if you let it.

Pizza is on the stone for may be 10-20 seconds then you turn it and don’t let it sit in one spot for long at all.

60-90 seconds total.

But at the same time you need the top of. The heat to be passing over the top to get the top cooked without charring it like a direct static heat would.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I wanted a pizza oven but someone showed me the results with a gas BBQ. It’s really great and full on Smokey flavor. Then you have the BBQ for everything else. With a pizza stone you are cooking in ten minutes and it takes two to three minutes a pizza. I cook outside a few times a week through the year and the gas BBQ is the best thing I’ve ever bought outside of mountain biking.

sadexpunk

out of interest, anyone tried one of these rings that you stick on a kettle BBQ?

i guess the issue with charcoal is you cant regulate the temperature, and the last pizzas i tried in my £40 aldi BBQ pizza oven burnt on the base due to too much heat underneath.

must say ive always been a ‘gas is fake’, flag-waving charcoal supporter, and ive been umming and ahhing about building a pizza oven for years now. i think ill have to accept i wont get round to building one, and it may be time to consider a gas pizza oven for the ease. must be getting old 😀

ooni the best option for these? i see drac mentioned he’s still waiting for his ^^^, does this mean theyre selling out everywhere due to the lockdown and summer approaching?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I made one of those last year, to my shame, I haven’t tried it yet. Canny be **** wi the whole faff of the fire now, I think I may swallow my pride and go gas Ooni.

I see the new one does 16″ pizza, what does standard do?. Its 400 quid mind!

db

I work in IT’ish, have a VW Transporter and have both sex pond and pizza oven in back garden. Do I win some kind of prize for being peak middle class?

We love ours and use it all year round. In fact just decided on pizza for tomorrow’s dinner!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Standard koda is what I have Greg

12″ and 200 quid

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gas?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes gas

**** **** about with wood.

Third night of pizza this week.

Blue cheese is addictive on pizza

trail_rat
    Free Member

View post on imgur.com

Been about two years of bruneep pestering me to do something.

Was at a party early last year and they had an Ooni firing out pizzas and they were just another level. So bit the bullet for my birthday this year.

sadexpunk

anyone got the koda 16? looks to be about twice the size/weight as the 12 and will handle 16″ pizzas. id never cook a pizza bigger than 12″ anyway but just wondered whether the extra room inside is worth it for mebbes cooking other stuff as well?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I wish I bought the 16

But at the same time I got a deal on the 12 for 200 quid

Bread in the house oven is good

The bbq does most other things.

Really all I wanted was a pizza and 2*12″ takes 3 minutes.

sadexpunk

ironic, decided after all this time to go for a gas pizza oven, and both size kodas are out of stock everywhere….. just makes me want one more now 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t check eBay prices…. 😆

sadexpunk

haha yep, i looked on there a while ago, crazy.

also messaged someone on facebook marketplace selling a koda for just shy of £400, assuming it was the 16. i think you can probably guess whats coming…..it was the small one that retails for £249 😀

Oblongbob

We use our ooni (or uuni as they were when we got it) a lot. It’s great. Small enough that it’s easy to store and gets up to temp in 20 mins or so. Ours is the 2nd gen wood pellet one, and I think they’re even better now, and gas is much more convenient. You need to keep it well stocked with pellets To keep it up to temp, but it’s just great when you get the hang of it. Got some big backs of pellets so costs buttons to run, and the fruit wood pellets I got give a lovely flavour to the pizza.

sadexpunk

are pellets expensive? how does the running cost compare with LPG?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Based on a 13kg calor propane cylinder

Koda is about 1.25 an hour to run

Most of that is heating up the stone at the start. C. 15 MINS

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Would the 16 be your choice due to having to move the pizza around Terry?

Or just for bigger pizza?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Making bread .

If I was going to plunge for a 16 I’d have to seriously consider the pro or the roccboxx

But avoiding scope creep I stuck to the 12 and just bought more peels . Rack em and stack em and 5 pizzas take no time.
    + At the time 12″ koda was 200 quid due to minor cosmetics
    Still have to turn in a 16 it’s an l shape flame bar not a u

sharkbait
    Free Member

Would the 16 be your choice due to having to move the pizza around

You still have to turn the pizza in a 16″ oven the same as a 12″.

Feel free to spend twice as much but a 16″ base is not that easy to shape based on 18 months experience of trying to make a 12″ base!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, been making pizza for years now sharkbait, know what you mean.

I’m quite happy with my oven sourdough I’ll just go for the 12″.

I have half a dozen thin plastic chopping boards for the pizza stacking, just fire them on my peel, only use it for load and unload.

Semolina flour keeps em slidy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Top tip on peels is that unless your using a perforated peel or feel the need for a huge handle to feel like your Luigi in your pizzaria

A basic pizza peel is a bakers cake saver with a 100% markup .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like the Luigi feeling my long handled peel gives me! Looks good hanging in the kitchen too. 😂

Oblongbob

I bought a couple of big bags of pellets for not very much when I got the oven…maybe coming on for 3 years ago. Still got lots left. No idea of running costs bit it’s pretty minimal if you buy in bulk. It’s not like I use mine all the time, but probably once a week in good weather (I live in Glasgow through!🤔)

theotherjonv

I like smaller pizzas because then I can eat more of them with them all different toppings! Note that a 16″ pizza (8″ radius) has almost twice the area as a 12″ one (6^2 = 36; 8^2 =64, 64/36 = 1.8)

4 cheese and chilli onion chutney (no tom sauce) FTW

Also sweet pizza to finish off (nutella and banana!!), but you need to precook the base, or turn the flame off (gas) and just cook from the heat of the stone and residual heat in the oven

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sweet pizza. Naw.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nobeer, step away from YouTube!

16 reviews make it look a better option. Crikey. 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 545 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.