Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 545 total)
  • Do I want a pizza oven?
  • sadexpunk

i use a couple, depending on how adventurous i am……

if im ‘on it’, i try this method, slapping it against the forearm and turning it 90 degrees each time (but nowhere near as fast).

if i want to play safe, i just hold it up by the edge and let it drop down by its own weight and keep turning it.

grum
    Free Member

I mostly do the second one as above

beagle
    Free Member

Cheers. Appreciated. I do the latter also, but an struggling to get anything remotely circular.

Those with Koda model (12”) what size pizza’s are you making? From what weight doughball? I’ve been on 240/250gm doughball but getting impression they may be too large.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sadexpunk

i have a 12″ oven (not koda tho) and make 10-11″ pizzas from around 180g dough. maybe the odd one sneaks up near 200g…..

DrP

My stretching technique, like all things pizza oven related, has evolved..

It’s:
    1 – start with a light and fluffy dough ball on a floured surface
    2 – LIGHTLY use a silicone pin to roll it out a ‘bit flatter and rounder’. Don’t press hard (like you would on pastry). Literally a gentler roll for and aft.. turn the ball 90 degrees, and roll again. This starts the base.
    3 – kinda ‘push’ it out towards the edges..like you’re massaging it. I leave it on the floured surface, and ‘push it out’ whilst turning it 90 degrees… then keep going.. you’re almost like a ‘pizza DJ’ here…stretching and turning (still flat on the surface).

They comne out nice and thin, and nice and round…

Next time I make pizza I’ll upload to YouTube a video!!

DrP

Drac

I use about 220g for the Koda.

sharkbait
    Free Member

10-11″ pizzas from around 180g dough

This.
    {obviously the type of pizza oven doesn’t matter in the slightest}

Next time I make pizza I’ll upload to YouTube a video!!

Can’t wait 😴

beagle
    Free Member

Me neither. PIZZA!! Cheers DrP. EDiT – just noticed sharkbait’s response may have been sarcastic. Mine wasn’t!

Yeah. As thought, probs a bit too big. I’ll reduce the size. My wood ‘in’ peel is the size of my pizza so doesn’t allow too much shaking pre-launch.

I suppose there is no shame in a little rolling pin use 👍

sharkbait
    Free Member

I used to think that using a rolling put would stop the ‘bubbles’ that appear in the base while cooking (which I like) – it doesn’t.

bruneep

I suppose there is no shame in a little rolling pin use

*reports post

You suppose wrong.

grum
    Free Member

The Chef show episode where they visit Pizzana restaurant has a good bit on shaping. The owner can do it insanely quickly.

Drac

I need to rewatch that episode but yes it took him literally seconds.

grum
    Free Member

Pizza has gone from just weekends to twice a week now 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a koda regular.

I use 300 ish gram dough balls as the ooni recommended 200 gram dough balls make piddly pizzas.

Bit harder to turn…. Have to remove it turn it and put it back but that’s a price worth paying for a real sized pizza.

goldfish24

I guess if you think the dough balls too heavy then it is. Whatever you like. I’m a 200g 11” kinda guy. Thin.

As for stretching, the key for me (after watching that Vito ioacapelli on you tube) is to actually compress the dough down with fingertips, before the stretching phase. So;
    1. Start with round (ahem spherical) dough ball
    2. liberally flour
    3. Press down, starting from centre
    4. Keep pressing down, working towards edge
    5. Stop before reaching the edge to keep that Neapolitan puffy crust
    6. Should have a round 4-6” baby pizza by now. Now stretch a little up to 8”-10”
    7. Add sauce, toppings
    8. Final pull on the peel brings it to 12”

goldfish24

I used to think that using a rolling put would stop the ‘bubbles’ that appear in the base while cooking (which I like) – it doesn’t.

It’s alright, the italians use a rolling pin too. At least the ones from Bari do. Not the Neapolitans mind. So when my dough won’t stretch I call it a Bari and get the pin out. Probably needed more kneading.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I stretch my 300g dough ball out to 15 inch. Max size you’ll get in a koda still thin.

grum
    Free Member

How are you getting a 15″ pizza in a regular Koda, given that the baking stone is only 13.5″ wide?

I do 240g dough balls and 10-11″ pizzas. I have done them thinner/bigger but you have to be pretty minimal with the toppings to still be able to easily launch them, IME.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You are correct my peel is 13inchs diameter not 15 as it was listed.

But I make them the full size of the peel rather than small. See photos from earlier. 11-13imch the difference in surface areas is ~ 1/3rd

By the time you have a decent depth of crust there no room for topping. And not having a proper crust is not an option.

grum
    Free Member

The kids won’t eat the crusts so I try to keep them to a minimum

trail_rat
    Free Member

Before they started using staedler made as punctuation when they got a promo deal. I was a big fan of pizza is not bread on Instagram

The seeking of a perfect crust is life.

grum
    Free Member

Just had a look at that insta. Some great looking stuff but the crust is waaaaay too big on some of them for my tastes. They look almost cartoonish! Horse for course I guess.

towpathman

Can anybody recommend a wooden pizza peel? There are loads on amazon, but I don’t trust the reviews.

TIA

towpathman

Thanks – for that price it’s worth a go!

sharkbait
    Free Member

That will do and is all you need.
    Think they’re the same I’ve got.

Drac

Yeah I have 3 or 4 of those they work just fine.

DrP

Funny.. i’ve tried wooden peels, and jsut get on better with a metal folding one.
    Each to their own eh!

DrP

mrchrispy

Koda arrived yesterday \o/
    seems to have calmed down after the crazy summer delivery long waits, ordered on Monday and arrived Wednesday. even blagged a 10% discount so Koda and carry cover was 260.

Now just need to figure out how to cook with it 🙂
    Looking forward to your youtube DrP

DrP

Righto… 4 pizzas made this eve…

Here’s a quick stretch video for a fairly thin 10″ base…

“don’t forget to hit subscribe and comment below…”

DrP AKA “the influenza influenecer…”

grum
    Free Member

I mean, I know a pizza doesn’t have to be round, but….

Just did steaks again in mine, superb.

singletun
    Free Member

Have you broken 3 pizza stones & or have a smallish convention oven microwave?

I give you the thick stone that solves all standard size pizza issues & doesn’t crack in half easily!

https://www.wowcamping.co.uk/productDetail/cadac-pizza-stone-mini-10-25cm/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj5C-hcbL7AIVx-3tCh2gYgz-EAQYASABEgIU3fD_BwE

Drac

Pizzas again here tonight I’ve got pushing them out and then stretching under their own weight to fine art now, did the last one in around 30 seconds.

DrP

Hey… that’s not a bad effort for the wine:pizza ratio at the time!

DrP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anyone tried making naan in koda yet? Giving it a go tonight.

Drac

Yes I do them fairly regular. Have the Ooni at full temp and keep an eye on the naan they cook very quickly.

I took delivery of a perforated peel during the week used it last night for the first time, much easier. I prepped on a wooden peel then scrapped with the peel before launching.

sadexpunk

what naan recipe are you using drac?

Drac

I’ve tried a few but the easiest and possibly best results is this one.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/naan-bread

sadexpunk

cheers, ill try that later.
    when i see recipes like this for bread say, i always think ‘whats the sugar going to bring to it, ill leave it out and have a healthier naan’. any thoughts on whether the sugars actually needed?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gonna do the ooni sourdough naan, mainly because I’ve a fair amount of starter, and my freezer already has loads of sliced sourdough bread.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 545 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.