Home Forums Bike Forum Decent kids 20 inch MTBs

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Decent kids 20 inch MTBs
  • stevious

The eldest (6yo) is outgrowing his 16″ bike and is raring to go on gears. Here’s what’s on the list for replacement so far:

– Early Rider Seeker 20 (Absolute limit of budget, still to big for him)

– Commencal Ramones

– Specialized riprock 20

Anything else we should be looking at of that ilk? Quite keen to get something with decent offroad geometry and chunky tyres.

Thanks!

5lab
    Free Member

most of the big mtb makers have them, I’d go large volume tyres and no suspension – its worth noting the old riprock 20 had tyres so big it sizes like a 24″ bike in other ranges, so quite a big gap.

big list of options here -> https://thebikedads.com/20-bikes/

if what you buy has a grip shifter, budget £25 for a shimano thumb shifter. The grip shifters are just too stiff for kids to use them

grahamt1980

Got a whyte 203 I need to sell if you happen to be somewhere near Bedfordshire.

stevious

Thanks for the offer Graham, but I’m far enough away from Bedfordshire that I’m not even sure where it is!

stingmered

Saracen mantra 20” has served both my boys very well.

was actually lighter than the equivalent Isla Bike at the time. Stuck some bigger vol tyres on and good to go.

cp

My 8yo is on a riprock 24. If it’s the current model of 20 you’re looking at they are brilliant bikes. Happily flies around Dalby , Sherwood and the local jump track.

Before the 24 he had a giant arx 20, which was also a really good bike. V brakes and qr’s but he really enjoyed riding it.

droplinked

Can’t comment on the 20 inch but my lad is on a Early Rider Seeker 16. Pricey, but it’s a lovely little bike.

Belt drive is a nice touch and is low maintenance versus a chain. Geo seems spot on, and the plus tyres give him plenty of comfort compared to his old Frog bike.

Great for off road riding.

timmycee
    Free Member

My 7 year old loves her Trek Wahoo 20. Proper geo, big tyres, carbon fork, hydraulic brakes.. it’s ace.

escrs
    Free Member

Prevelo Zulu 3, kids geo, suspension fork, tubeless ready wheels and tyres, internal dropper routing if you wish to fit one, disc brakes, microshift 9 speed gears, my boy loves his

Zulu Three – Outlet

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Got Islabikes being 20 (with 2″ conti explorers), Vitus 20″ (standard, but with the 2.6 crown gems and discs) and a heavily modified Forme here. Eldest is on a 24″ cub scout. All good bikes and fine for local tame trails.  SDG bars and skinny grips are good if you like to tinker.

zerocool

Vitus 20+, I have 2 for the twins and they love them. Although I would really like a pair of Early Rider Hellion 20s if I had the money.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Orbea MX20, fantastic wee bikes.

Superficial
    Free Member

I really rate my son’s Orbea. He’s got the Laufey 20 which is a bit more expensive than the mx20. Laufey is nice and light, looks decent, 1×9 with good gear range and hydro discs. Can’t fault it really.

Looked at the Earlyriders but they were twice the price!

I’ve just this evening put my son’s 20″ wheel Cannondale Cujo up for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/share/YF2p73B5K5W2KXnf/

PM me if interested.

jonswhite

We had the Riprock 20”. It was really good apart from the rear mech was a standard long cage Advent and it reached to the rim so got knocked quite a few times. I think the latest has the new super short one though.

The long wheelbase was great as it was super stable.

bikerevivesheffield

Orbea mx20 here

squirrelking
    Free Member

It was really good apart from the rear mech was a standard long cage Advent

My daughters MX20 had an SGS Acera, I swapped it out for a GS SLX (and then an old GS Sora when we sold it). It just looked like it was going to get wrecked on a passing rock.

Laufey is nice and light, looks decent, 1×9 with good gear range and hydro discs.

They used to do a Team Disc version which was what we had, alloy fork and Shimano non-series brakes. Worth checking for second hand.

stevious

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Showed a bunch of photos to the lad and he really likes the Spesh Riprock. Added bonus is one of the LBS’s in town sell Specialized so we can have a little trip over there.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I bought my youngest a commencal ramones 20 (2nd hand from FB marketplace)It has been so good. This was going from an isla beinn (s) 20.

The wide tyres give so much confidence. I also whacked on my old brakes and handlebar

piran2
    piran

poah
    Free Member

Sophie had Orbea Laufy 20 (which I need to sell)

dlabz

@poah might be interested in it for my daughter – can you send a link to an advert if you pull one together, or drop me a message with some details. Thanks

tomdubz

@grahamt1980 could you PM me details of the Whyte please, I’d be interested for my daughter and I’m not a million miles from you. Cheers

timber

Scott Scale 20 plus here. Disc brakes for reliable braking in the wet and rigid to still keep the weight down as well as my child not being a hard shredder. The plus tyres have been really good for building confidence over stuff.

Started looking at 24’s and the new Trek Wahoo Trails are looking really good and also available in a 20″.

stevious

Local shop can’t get the spesh until next year. Tredz say they have one in stock though. How lucky am I feeling?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.