Home Forums Bike Forum Cwmcarn

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cwmcarn
  • gooner666

Is Cwmcarn worth a visit?

Which trails etc

I have to go to Newport next week so wondered about trying Cwmcarn

kimbers

Yes

Both the way-marked trails are quite good fun

If you want a bit more gnar the time ff piste stuff is great

joebristol

There’s a bit of most things at Cwmcarn depending on what you like.

The blue is short and not wildly exciting – it’s alright if you finish something else and want a quick 20 min extra lap.

Cafell and Twrch are xc loops – but they’re not like other xc loops really. Both have decent elevation, some fast and bumpy descents and hard climbs etc.

I’d say Cafell is harder on your fitness with climbing, Twrch is harder on technical climbing.

There are a couple of runs classed as downhill – 1 goes off the top of Cafell – and is pretty fast and flowy. The other goes from the top of a hill that you can get to from about halfway round the Twrch where you go up a short / steep concrete ramp.

If you like steep / tech off piste the you want the Risca side of the hill – you can either go to that concrete ramp I mentioned on the Twrch or you can pedal up the tarmac Forest Drive and look out for the off piste trails. Most of them are on Trailforks.

gooner666

Thanks for those. I have had a look on YouTube so I think I am going to try Twrch and then maybe finish on the blue if my legs are up to it

joebristol

Twrch then blue are fine. If not riding the Risca stuff I’d like ride Cafell with the Pedalhounds DH then go and ride Twrch, but ride up the tarmac to the top of a section called airstream 2. Take airstream 2 not airstream 1 when you get to that bit of the trail. 2 is bermy / rollery etc. 1 is just very tight and not that fun (in my opinion).

On the Twrch there is also a bit once you’ve climbed up into a woody bit (after airstream)  where there is a straight on or a right down a bermy bit of trail. Don’t go right – it’s really boring and pedally and just takes you back in a big loop to the fireroad up to airstream again. Stay left!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.