Home Forums Bike Forum Cut chain too short. Two quick links?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cut chain too short. Two quick links?
  • sam1988
    Free Member

Sticking a new gx eagle drivetrain on an alpine 6. Dawned on my after pushing the pin out that I didn’t compress the shock when measuring the chain. When it’s in the biggest gear no and compressing the suspension all the way the derailleur has little movement so I suspect I’m about 2 links to short. Any reason I can’t stick another quick link in or will I have to get a new chain? This one will end up in the bin and too short for any other bikes I’ve got

mrchrist

No reason.

honourablegeorge

Go for it

argee

Got two on my ebike chain just now and it’s working well (i’m not even sure they’re the same quick links as well!), bought one of the 118 links and find out i need 121, if the torque on an ebike hasn’t destroyed the chain i think it’ll work well on a normal bike.

sandboy

I’ve had two quick links in the chain on my fat bike for ages, this thread title reminded me.

I repaired it on the trail and completely forgot because it made absolutely no difference,

phil5556

Another double quick link user here.

I swapped from Shimano mech to SRAM and the chain needed to be slightly longer.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve done what you did and thought of the same solution, it was fine

kayak23

It means that when you need to remove the chain it’ll be twice as quick. ?

timba
    Free Member

No need to carry a separate spare link. Pop one out of the chain to repair a break elsewhere as a get-you-home measure

poah
    Free Member

did this before. used two links either side of a bit of chain to lengthen it.

Saccades
    Free Member

Once had a chain with 7 quick links, no bother with it.

alpin
    Free Member

Another double quick link user here.

I swapped from Shimano mech to SRAM and the chain needed to be slightly longer.

+1

joshvegas
    Free Member

I had about 5 in one chain by using all the spare ends inhad*.

Probably cost more than actually buying a whole new chain but quite satisfying.

*Using 8speed chains for fixed gears and singlespeeds leave alot of extra links.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

It means that when you need to remove the chain it’ll be twice as quick. ?

Nah, it’ll take twice as long, as you need to remove two….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.