Home Forums Bike Forum Cuffs and Collars (frame and forks) – should they match?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cuffs and Collars (frame and forks) – should they match?
  • convert

Quick straw poll.

My Niner Sir9 frame is going off to be paint stripped tomorrow before I get all medieval on it’s ass with a brazing torch and it emerges like a phoenix from the flames as a trekking flat bar tourer. I’ve got a pair of new Salsa rigid forks I’m going to marry it with. It’ll live out the rest of it’s days as a heavyweight world traveller tourer type with racks front and back and guards. Occasionally I’ll rip all that off and join the 21st century and use it as bikepacking bike like the cool kids do.

Question is – should full rigid heardtails have matching forks? I’m torn. Most used to back in the day when all mtbs had rigid forks but since suspension forks have been around bikes seem to look more ‘right’ when they don’t. Fork is currently black, frame will probably be some variation on a burnt orange and the hubs, spokes, rims, seatpost and stem, pannier racks and guards are all black if that makes a difference. I’ve got access to a spray bay so I’ll be painting them myself so cost isn’t a big deal

bigblackshed

My Kona flat bar CX Hybrid is snot green with black forks. It looks right with black and red parts. But they are skinny legged Project 2s, not chunky cankles.

riklegge

Personally on a rigid bike I prefer it when the fork matches the frame.

riklegge

Except for old school konas, they look ace

vincienup
    Free Member

Old skool Konas should have black triple butted P2’s. There’s a law about that sort of thing.

Otherwise, forks is as forks does. Yes, the fork designed and painted to go with your frame looks cosmetically tidy. No, it doesn’t matter if something else works better for the way you want to build the bike and ride it.

matt_outandabout

Why not if you’re going for a respray.

ads678

Or maybe go opposites. As in, if your fame was orange with some green detailing, forks could be green with orange detailing.

That’s pretty much what I’m planning to do with my London Road.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Looks best with a multicolour scheme on the frame as well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not sure what the right answer is, but you’ve made me think of my old Marin with zolatone 2000 grey frame and magenta fork/stem/bars.

nedrapier

Yes, yes, yes, all day long. Matchy, matchington, match. IMO.

Here’s my straw poll from a few years ago if you want to do a meta study of mine and yours

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/respray-fork-to-match-chin-strokers-aesthetes-please/

spoiler: the people who said match were right.

convert

Ok, I think it’s settled – Matching it is. It’ll take me weeks to get around to finishing the brazing so plenty of time to procrastinate about the colour choice too!

philjunior
    Free Member

Black or matching are both acceptable.

A complimentary colour (blue with yellow, green with red, bright with dark) could also work.

Just make sure you’ve put some effort into it.

I’m still a bit shamed by the fact that my HT forks are white on an otherwise black (except the spokes) bike, whereas my FS was bought second hand and the previous owner had got custom decals for the new fork and shock to match the frame…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cuffs and Collars (frame and forks) – should they match?’ is closed to new replies.