Home Forums Bike Forum Croatia – Korcula any biking?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Croatia – Korcula any biking?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I am going to Korcula (Vela Luka) next week whilst Mrs FD does a sea swimming holiday. I will have 4 days on my hands.

Has anyone done any cycling there? Tips etc and where best to hire bikes mtb/road

Thanks

zippykona

We had planned to go to Croatia the same week til we saw the rain predictions , twice as much as London
    Storms are forecast for next week.
    Can you give us a daily weather report please?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

twice as much as London

Yeah Ive seen that too :-(

honourablegeorge

I keep getting ads for a company who do biking holidays, combined with a yacht tour in Croatia – each day they sail to a new island, you bike the island, back to the boat, and go again, looks incredible, if a bit XC

https://57hours.com/premium-adventures/mountain-biking-tour-croatian-coast/

ampthill

We very easily hired reasonable quality mountain bikes just outside the old town. We were directed down a mainly traffic free route to a beach where i swam. I think we road 20 miles

I wasn’t aware of any gnarr or proper mtb. But I’d have happily set off in the opposite direction the next day had time allowed

BigJohn

We stayed in Viganj and hired bikes there and took them over on the ferry ( medium sized dinghy where I had to hold the bikes to stop them falling in the sea). Korcula was lovely (we stopped in the harbour and immediately booked an Airbnb for the next couple of nights) but steep.  Oh so steep.  Didn’t do a lot of riding!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks it looks like we are staying at the other end of the island to where you lot have been :-)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Back from the holiday.

Unfortunately didnt manage to hire a bike. What bikes there were in Vela Luka were cheap nasty things. However people did leave there very nice mtbs just outside shops/cafes not even locked up! Obviously crime is very low on the island.

However there were many waymarked  MTB routes there, and clearly a lot of local mtb’rs. I understand from talking to them that the trails are not that technical, but there is a lot of choice and elevation gain in beautiful remote countryside.

Most routes are way marked and also have tool stations and pumps dotted about the island.

On the whole the weather was pretty good. A couple of days with very high wind and a bit of rain. One day was particularly bad, but Mrs FD still managed a 2.5k sea swim in the morning.

One of the less stormy evenings with 2 of Croatia’s national rowing team training in the sea

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.