Home Forums Chat Forum Credit card payments..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Credit card payments..
  • desperatebicycle

Strange thing on my monthly credit card payment..it won’t let me pay more than the statement balance from last month . I’m sure I’ve done it before, but this time it blocked me with the message “The most you can pay is £X because you can’t pay more than you owe”

Example: my current balance is £200  – last month’s statement is £99.99, so I attempt to pay £100 as a round number – but I can’t pay more than £99.99.. Bit odd. Is this a new thing?

airvent
    Free Member

Makes sense to me, why would you pay more than the statement balance? It doesn’t make any financial sense to pay more than the full amount due.

fadda

I often pay more than the statement balance, when I know I’ve, say, spent a chunk just around/ after the statement date.

I’m with Lloyds and you can set up a separate bill payment on your current account, I rather than picking the credit card from their own list of things you might want to pay. Seems to “fool” the system into thinking it’s an external payment and you can pay what you choose, then…

the-muffin-man

I’ve not had that before.

My balance on one of my CCs is usually around £400 so my statement balance is that. But quite a few times I’ve bought stuff for my dad on my CC to get the protection. Only last week I spent £1800 for him, he transferred me the money, and I paid it off the credit card the next day with no problem.

The £1800 is way more than my last statement balance.

Maybe your £200 current balance is ‘pending’ as there are recent transactions that haven’t completed?

toby1

Could have done with that a while ago when I accidentally cleared the wrong card a while back and paid on card well into credit, leaving the one I meant to pay in debit (it was ok though as it was still interest free anyway). So depends on the bank, but sounds like a ‘new’ feature and presume they’d need access to the credit card account to know the last balance.

johnners
    Free Member

I don’t know about the OP’s issue but I can confirm that Nationwide are happy to accept manual payment of the full amount owed then take the same amount again a few days later. Then they want 10 working days to credit the money they’ve wrongly debited back, because reasons.

Mistakes happen, but disappointingly their customer service was a total shower of shit when I tried to get it put right.

mert
    Free Member

I can’t overpay on the automated thing on the credit card app, as the maximum is fixed at the outstanding balance on the statement date, but i can if i set the same payment up via my banking app. (As they don’t care how much i pay.)
    Or i can do random transfers into the correct account at any time i want e.g. if i buy someone something and they pay me back.
    Just have to find the account and sort code for the card/provider, which i can never remember where to look for!

(edit:- it’s now on the home page for the credit card app! Makes life easy.)

johndoh
    Free Member

Have you used the card since the last statement? You can’t pay more than the total amount due (ie, the statement amount plus any subsequent purchases).

Hohum
    Free Member

Credit card companies often change their rules over time.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

the-muffin-man

I don’t know about the OP’s issue but I can confirm that Nationwide are happy to accept manual payment of the full amount owed then take the same amount again a few days later.

I’ve always been careful with that – if it’s near monthly payment date I’ll always wait till a few days after to do any overpayments.

desperatebicycle

Have you used the card since the last statement?

Yep, as in my example, the total amount on the card is more than the statement balance.

I only tried to pay a few pence more to round it up , so  coming out with ” It doesn’t make any financial sense to pay more than the full amount due” is slightly daft/pointless.

I used the app, tried it with the pay the credit card option, got the error, so tried it as a normal transfer, got it again. Maybe something new Lloyds have introduced. Can’t be bothered to ask them, cos you have to tangle with a bot for a while, and it’s not that important (ie. I’m not worried).

fooman

Makes sense to me, why would you pay more than the statement balance? It doesn’t make any financial sense to pay more than the full amount due.

I’ve overpaid CC when I know I’m going to get some foreign cash out and I want to minimise ‘cash advance’ interest that often starts from the moment you get it out.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve always been careful with that – if it’s near monthly payment date I’ll always wait till a few days after to do any overpayments

I didn’t do an overpayment, they did – even though the outstanding balance was zero and had been for several days!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.