Home Forums Bike Forum Creaky CSU’s

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Creaky CSU’s
  • singlespeedstu

Anyone else suffer from the old creaky CSU problems?

Three forks in the last 12 months for me.
    1x Zeb
    1 x Lyrik
    1 x Fox 36

So annoying and un needed.

There must be a better way to make a CSU.
    Think the EXT ERA has a better design. Shame I could never get them set up to my liking.

chiefgrooveguru

Had it twice with my Lyrik, both times just outside the two year warranty period. The first time I paid for a new upper, the second time I got a new heavier duty steerer installed by RSF Suspension.

He glues in the steerers, they’re not just pressed in, and I’ve got the ebike version designed for up to 190mm travel forks. It’s only been in there about 6 months so I can’t tell you if it’s been a good solution but I’m more hopeful…

singlespeedstu

Yeah RSF have re bonded a 36 for me before.
    Guess what happened to it?
    Yep lasted around 9 months before the creak returned.

jimmy748

Dual crowns are the answer, Formula Nero R’s are only about 350g more than 38’s or Zebs.

benpinnick

Lightweight dual crowns is the solution

deanfbm
    Free Member

95% of my single crown forks have creaked.

Only set that hasn’t is a 26″ pike dj at 100mm.

Think it goes to show that the axle to crown lengths and larger wheels are too much.

singlespeedstu

I have considered a DC fork on my enduro bike but not on a trail bike.

benpinnick

Dual crowns are the answer, Formula Nero R’s are only about 350g more than 38’s or Zebs.

I was very excited about the Selva dual crowns, but they never saw the light of day alas. Bloody Covid!

chiefgrooveguru

“ Yeah RSF have re bonded a 36 for me before.
    Guess what happened to it?
    Yep lasted around 9 months before the creak returned”

Ah, that’s not great…

Which model of steerer did you have fitted into the 36?

singlespeedstu

Think it goes to show that the axle to crown lengths and larger wheels are too much.

I used to have the same problems with 26″ forks too.

Which model of steerer did you have fitted into the 36?

They just re bonded all the original parts back in.
    Said they looked fine for re use.
    TBH it’s always the brake side stanchion that goes first for me. The steerer is normally ok.

5lab
    Free Member

I have considered a DC fork on my enduro bike but not on a trail bike.

set of SIDs will do you fine :) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255688376735

chiefgrooveguru

“They just re bonded all the original parts back in.”

That makes me feel a bit better!

I’m assuming that if a pressfit part is creaking then there will be some fretting wear, so a fresh part will fit more tightly. And the chunkier ebike steerer I had fitted will flex less and be less likely to creak.

“TBH it’s always the brake side stanchion that goes first for me. The steerer is normally ok.”

Interesting! I thought most of the creaking CSU moans were steerer related.

I’m sure if Fox and Rockshox had to offer five year warranties on their forks that the 38 and Zeb would be dual crown designs. But not enough people make them creak with the warranty period so the problem continues…

singlespeedstu

I’m assuming that if a pressfit part is creaking then there will be some fretting wear, so a fresh part will fit more tightly

The way he explained it to me was that the more wear marks there were on both surfaces the better the bond would become as it retained more of whatever bonding compound he uses.

zerocool

Wasn’t there a company that made forks with a one piece steerer/crown to stop the creaking? Whatever happened to them as that seemed like a good idea?

It might have been Ohlin’s but could have been Cane Creek 🤷🏼

SirHC

3 pairs of Zeb’s, sold the 4th set. Fitted a set of Neros, no creaks, so much better than the Zebs for damping.

Bike seldom gets pedalled non big days and lives on uplifts, so its a mini dh bike bike.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-05 at 12.36.20

Wasn’t there a company that made forks with a one piece steerer/crown to stop the creaking? Whatever happened to them as that seemed like a good idea?

It might have been Ohlin’s

Problem with the ohlins is that the bearing didn’t fit all that well and creaked! (Atleast mine did)

EXT have an extended crown which silences a lot of the issues.

original_EXT_ERA_Enduro_Fork

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Agreed it’s frustrating as hell

had zebs go almost instantly older lyriks the same and a set of 22 fox 36 go the same

its frustrating as hell as you have to check everything under the sun to rule it out being the forks before sending in

Does anyone have the newest 2023/24 fox 36? Weren’t they supposed to eliminate this somehow to with the latest ones?

benpinnick

its frustrating as hell as you have to check everything under the sun to rule it out being the forks before sending in

Take the forks off, rest the lowers on the floor and the steerer on something higher so they’re at a shallow angle to the floor (<45 degrees). Stand on the fork just below the arch.

Turn over, stand on the other side in the same place.

If it creaks/ticks, its the CSU, if not, it was almost certainly something else.

fathomer

Only ever had one set of older Pikes go creaky, I obviously don’t ride hard enough!

I thought the easiest test was bike upside down, wheel out and push and pull the legs alternately (like you’re on a cross trainer)?

SirHC

The third pair I was asked if it was my frame or headset or something not the fork. Explained to Sram tech that when you stuck them in a vice and lent on them, they creaked.

I won’t run Renthal stems as they creak, same as split crown races, always solid ones, preferably steel. The hope ones pit a creak after a while on the G1. If you can run a tall top headset like the Reset racing one or EC44, then you have less steerer flopping about which stops the top headset creaking.

singlespeedstu

Has anyone been able to send a creaky fork back direct to Sram?
    How did you go about it?
    Fork was bought off the Alpkit Outlet Store on Ebay and they’ve as yet not responded to my message.

finbar
    Free Member

Another thing Bomber Z1s, the original ones, have done better than subsequent forks (bolted CSUs).

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Has anyone been able to send a creaky fork back direct to Sram?

An LBS may be handle a warranty return but will probably charge for it. Commencal asked me to return some stuff via a local shop and then refunded the 50 quid it cost.

I sent some Zeb’s back with a creaky steerer and play in the bushings and they sent me a new fork.

dartdude
    Free Member

Is a creaky CSU something to be concerned about or just noise?

singlespeedstu

I sent some Zeb’s back with a creaky steerer

You sent them direct to Sram?
    Do you need a returns No or something like that?

I’ve always just taken forks back to the shop they came from before but it doesn’t look like that’s going to be possible this time.

singlespeedstu

No worries now.
    All sorted and on their way back to warranty.

dartdude
    Free Member

Is a creaky CSU something to be concerned about or just noise?

As unsure if it’s just my internally routed cables or a brand new X-Fusion fork clicking on compression of fork.

I mean it’s not going to fall apart on riding I v much doubt.

singlespeedstu

As an update on this thread I’ve had another two sets of Zebs go creaky since starting this thread.

Last one only lasted four rides.

Unimpressed is an understatement.

I’m now giving some serious though to some Formula Neros.

chiefgrooveguru

“As an update on this thread I’ve had another two sets of Zebs go creaky since starting this thread.

Last one only lasted four rides.”

FFS! It’s insane!

I wonder if the proportion of riders who ride hard enough, and are observant enough to realise that noise shouldn’t be happening, is small enough that they don’t care? Are the magazine tests too short or do they send them the parts that were made with the tightest tolerances, so are least likely to creak?

Dual crowns for all!

susepic

Took my epicevo for a full suspension service at the LBS in late 2022, and think it was plush told them that the reba, cos of the steerer fork interface creaking, was toast. It was just outside warranty and SRAM said not interested, but the LBS spoke w Specialized who forked (!) out for a new one. Kudos to Spesh, and Beyond Bikes who did the chat to sort it

fathomer

Contrary to what I said 6 months ago, my 23 Lyriks are now creaking and will be going back once I’m back from holiday in two weeks!

tjagain

Any point in just running some loctite into the creaky bits?

singlespeedstu

I had short term success with some Loctite on an out of warranty 36 but no it doesn’t work very well.

And on a four ride old fork it’s just going straight back.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.