• This topic has 191 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 192 total)
  • Crashed on surrey Hills..on "NEW" section (supernova)
  • proflexforever
    Free Member

So i crashed Last night on Supernova up at Peaslake last night..
    almost Broke my neck.

Reason im putting it on here is because i had NO IDEA that the trail ahead of me had changed..

im speaking about the new Jump section towards the bottom of the trail before you cross the fire road.

this time last week it was a fairly simple flat jump..
    But no someone has dug a huge trench behind the jump that you cant see until your on the jump..

Roll on all the “should of gone to spec savers” and “why didnt you walk the trail first” etc etc from the desk jockeys. Im aware it was my fault i crashed. i just giving people the heads up the trail has changed…… 🙂

Spent 4 hours in A and E with suspected Fracture neck..Luckily its not.

LINK TO VIDEO FILMED ON CHEST CAM

Im all for new trails and thank the hard work that people have gone into doing it…but it would take 2 mins to put a little sign on a tree..i dont mean HUGE way marked trail center style signs BTW..

Cheers

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Glad to hear your OK

As for signs, well 1) it’s more stuff for everyone else to complain about and 2) I wouldn’t trust them anyway.

Your going to crash once in a while, it’s a fact of what we do. Sometimes it’s worth doing a scouting run before committing to a full speed run, even on familiar trails

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Can’t open the link. Is this “unofficial” trail-pixieing?

proflexforever
    Free Member

Try it now MRwhoppit

NigE5
    Free Member

This is going to be interesting

freeridenick
    Free Member

I would delete this thread before it gets out of control….

really no need to advertise this for all the ney sayers..

trails change, we all crash sometimes….

deviant
    Free Member

Its the Surrey Hills not a trail centre, signposts would make us even more unpopular with those who dont want us there full stop.

Scope out a run before you hammer down it?

As someone else said, it is mountain biking, expect to come off once in a while.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PS: Ouch.

proflexforever
    Free Member

really no need to advertise this for all the ney sayers

What do you mean??

banks
    Free Member

I’ve got those shorts!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Reason im putting it on here is because i had NO IDEA that the trail ahead of me had changed..

You cannot take anything for granted on an MTB… There could’ve been a fallen tree, family having a picnic, anything.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Scope out a run before you hammer down it?

this time last week it was a fairly simple flat jump..
    But no someone has dug a huge trench behind the jump that you cant see until your on the jump..

short of walking everything before riding it and hence walking the same distance as you ride…..
    Use to have issues in school holidays in a local spot where the kids would dig new jumps. Well by dig I mean make a hold in the trail and pile dirt up into a kicker that might or might not fall over.

If your going to ride take responsibility, if your going to dig holes in trails think about the rest of the world, sounds like it needs someone to get some kind of control and funnel the efforts of the enthusiastic into something sensible.

get well soon

greeble
    Free Member

you’re own fault for not assessing the trail ahead

geetee1972
    Free Member

I knew this was going to happen.

Supernova is a main thoroughfare route back to Peaslake. Everyone rides it. Building a jump like that, right on the main track (even if there is an alternative) was always going to end up with someone getting hurt.

OP I hope you’re OK. Expect to see that jump removed pretty soon. I’m all for stuff like this ‘appearing’ but really, on something that gets ridden by so many people of such vastly differing abilities and right on the main line as well, it’s daft.

freeridenick
    Free Member

sorry you crashed but its already a sensitive subject,
    trail building
    jumps

etc etc.

Bregante

I’ve got those shorts!!

Thefts from Hospital are on the rise

proflexforever
    Free Member

i said it was my fault…thanks for your comments…your the best

proflexforever
    Free Member

Ive a feeling this thread is going to get Heated pretty soon….lol…..

looking forward to it… 😆

thepurist

Is this “unofficial” trail-pixieing?

+1

Summer holidays = kids mucking about with trails, usually making jumps more ‘rad’ so they can session them then leave them for other people who normally ride the trail and know what’s coming to come a cropper. GWS!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Out of interest, were you..
    – wearing a helmet?
    – using Strava?
    – riding a Santa Cruz?
    – driving there in an Audi?

ha! i’m only joking, please don’t answer any of that. Get well soon, looks painful.

butterbean
    Free Member

Count yourself lucky, when I rode down there on Monday someone had cut a load of trees down and dragged them into all the corners.

And whilst I’m not for kicking someone whilst they are down, it was pretty clear to me it was a gap. From the video you clearly weren’t going fast enough to hit the landing, gap or no gap…

freeridenick
    Free Member

all the trail building is unofficial…
    its not a big gap

just don’t need the go pro brigade putting more heat on the situation.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hope you heal quickly!

It p*sses me off too that stuff like this happens, but it does. You could say it’s an argument for riding on legal trails, but regardless – it’s still annoying when someone thinks ‘this would make a great spot for a ghetto double!’ with no thought for other riders, chicken lines, sustainability, land use, etc. etc.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I rode that the other night, didn’t seem much different to me. Did you noes dive it?

Get well soon.

tonyg2003

I hope that you get better soon and damn glad that you didn’t do yourself permanent injury (surely the most important thing here).

I agree that with most people it’s largely your own fault (as you recognise) for going too fast to be able to read the trail but difficult when you are riding a trail that you know when and don’t expect it to change.

People dig over at Peaslake all the time (it’s a fact). They sometime dig inappropriately but I can’t see anyone controlling the digging.

_tom_
    Free Member

I reckon we should start putting those little red flags on the lips of jumps like they do in canada (and at aston hill on s2a). Makes it easier to judge when and where you may need to be committing to something rather than just rolling it.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

greeble – Member

OP, I’m glad you’re OK.

butterbean
    Free Member

it’s still annoying when someone thinks ‘this would make a great spot for a ghetto double!’ with no thought for other riders, chicken lines, sustainability, land use, etc. etc.

There’s actually nothing ghetto about it, it’s been boarded & staked properly.

Looks a lot more official than most stuff there. Also there is far bigger & more ghetto out there.

And as freeridenick says, it’s not a big gap, in fact it could probably do with being more than twice the size it is for the speed you hit it at, unless you mince down the trail. It’s barely over a bike length….

molgrips
    Free Member

if your going to dig holes in trails think about the rest of the world

This is also true.

I almost had a big crash riding a very unofficial DH trail in some FC woods nearby. A pretty secretive thing, I’d heard of it a few times but never seen it, so it’s hardly used by all and sundry. Well I finally found it, rode it, and near the bottom I found a small jump. I was going slowly because it was my first go, and at the last second I found out that the small jump was obscuring a rather deep 2 foot wide ditch with a stream in it. I managed to pull one of the biggest emergency bunnyhops of my riding career.. it’s surprising what you can achieve when you have to 🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

butterbean, plenty of mincers out there! 😛

yep, hardly flytipper or old northern monkey..

proflexforever
    Free Member

i managed to tuck before i hit the floor,so didnt smash my face…my leg battered the tree next to me though so cant really walk..

had elbow and knee pads on and was wearing a helmet…new fox flux on its way, as that ones buggered now…

cheeers for the support guys…

im off to Wales next weekend to do
    Stiniog, Llandegla and Afan…i had better be mended by then…lol..

ps…it was my fault i crashed..it wasnt a huge jump…..i should of gone fatser…i was just expecting it to be a flat landing, like it was the other day when i rode it…NOT a ditch….again…it was my fault..lol…

geetee1972
    Free Member

butterbean, plenty of mincers out there!

Nick you were a mincer once. We all were. Some of us have even regressed in later life. No need to be bitchy about.

proflexforever
    Free Member

WHO’S FAULT WAS IT…..

ALL TOGETHER NOW………..

njee20
    Free Member

Also… I happened upon it within a day or so of them digging in (the stupidity of which is another thing in itself), and still rode round it without much fuss, before there was an avoiding line as there is now.

IMO it’s a stupid thing to have built, although better now you there’s an obvious chicken run, but I have to say that I think you only have yourself to blame for that.

proflexforever
    Free Member

hahahha

njee20 but I have to say that I think you only have yourself to blame for that.

See above post

Gotama
    Free Member

Edit

proflexforever
    Free Member

Cheers Gotama..

Edit

i dont like you

😆

Gotama
    Free Member

Sorry, that edit has screwed you! Couldn’t be bothered getting into a debate over this.

Hope you heal up quickly.

proflexforever
    Free Member

Sorted

😉

ps..i know what you mean about the “debate” side of things,….it cant get quite vicious on here

spawnofyorkshire

So it was your fault then proflexforever? I don’t think that’s been determined clearly enough in this thread

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘Crashed on surrey Hills..on "NEW" section (supernova)’ is closed to new replies.