• This topic has 191 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)
  • Crashed on surrey Hills..on "NEW" section (supernova)
  • proflexforever
    Free Member

lol….just spoke to brother who was filming me at the same time.hes just watched his video and it turns out the chicken run was not covered in trees after all.
    The old one was but there is a new one higher up that i missed and wasn’t looking for…FAIL.

my fault…..im CRAP

chuffnuts

I rode it last night too for the first time, I didn’t stop and cleared it by a mile ‘cos I’m great…

Not really, I had to stop and have a look because it came up a bit unexpectedly! Then I went back and had a crack and I swear the transition jumped up at me as I cased the jump with my back wheel.

So to summarise it’s not Proflex’s fault, it’s the jumps because I couldn’t possibly have jumped it badly. 😉

blooddonor
    Free Member

OMG………Crankworx has land in the Surrey hills, get a grip, it’s a two foot drop and the gap is five foot!!!!

proflexforever
    Free Member

it’s a two foot drop and the gap is five foot

whats your point??

njee20
    Free Member

Why is it that folk who ride stuff like this in their sleep seem to be such dicks? Seems to be a regular occurrence. Very odd.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve had this happen a number of times at peaslake. I’m hammering down a trail and all of a sudden I hit a little double that wasn’t there last time I rode the trail. Twice i’ve cased jumps and almost gone over the bars. 2nd time I have the right speed and it is not a problem.

Hope you heal up quicky Op. Regarding signs, The last thing the surrey hills needs is any sort of trail markings. Part of the joy of riding around peaslake, is that you need a bit of knowledge to find the trails and also to keep your wits about you, as the trails are always changing.

Caveat emptor, mountain biking can be risky.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

All these people saying it’s your fault. 😯 So what, most accidents are the fault of the rider…it comes with the territory.
    Really surprised by lack of sympathy by some people on here. A nasty crash could be just around the corner for any of us, regardless of where, what or how we ride.
    Healing vibes buddy and hope you get back 100% soon 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not them, they have moved on it’s the people who need you to know they jump bigger, faster, higher than everyone else. They always finish first, just ask their missus.

Gotama
    Free Member

Why is it that folk who ride stuff like this in their sleep seem to be such dicks? Seems to be a regular occurrence. Very odd.

Because a bit of willy waving on stw makes them feel awesumz to the max?

DezB
    Free Member

So that’s how I looked on the spinal board*. Like a right twerp!

Hope you make your Wales trip! 🙂

*after nutting a tree crashing on a trail I’d ridden more than any other**

**but in the wet

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not them, they have moved on it’s the people who need you to know they jump bigger, faster, higher than everyone else.

Because a bit of willy waving on stw makes them feel awesumz to the max?

Mmm, yes you’re probably both right there!

proflexforever
    Free Member

cheers Mojo

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

so now its down to picking holes in peoples grammar..

Actually, the picking holes in people’s grammar started on page 1. I was merely intending to ironically point out the level that the thread had quickly and predictably deteriorated to. I was probably not obvious enough, for which I apologise.

I will also ignore the fact that you started a new sentence with a lower case.

brooess
    Free Member

Putting big drops and jumps into Surrey Hills ain’t the brightest thing to do IMHO – it’s very popular and attracts a lot of inexperienced riders who are unlikely to have the skills and experience to handle stuff like that…

In particular, putting a feature needing well-above-average skills into one of the easiest to find and therefore well-used trails is poor judgement – a massive mismatch between the trail and the riders likely to be riding it.

I wish trail builders thought of the mass of riders and not just their own preferences.

Glad OP is ok and thanks for the heads up!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

looks like a good bit of trail, being a non-local/never ridden surrey hills etc looks a bit like cannock stylee (which is fun!)

healing vibes OP, anyone got a picture of this jump, its really hard to tell on videos what sections are like on mtb’ trails, often it looks flattened out and you dont get a real idea of the actual obstacle in question

would love some nice little wood trails like that with jumps in around the peak district 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

*skip to the end*

You wouldn’t have crashed if you had been wearing some more expensive shorts 8)

proflexforever
    Free Member

I will also ignore the fact that you started a new sentence with a lower case.

To bE faIr….thatS’ pritty Funey..
    Eye wiLL let ewe OFF..

😉

proflexforever
    Free Member

You wouldn’t have crashed if you had been wearing some more expensive shorts

I wasnt wearing them when i crashed..
    they were spare ones in my bag as my ones got screwed..

And i must say they are awesome shorts and i love the patterns …hahahaha

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

They look like my dead granddad’s pyjamas. 🙁

officialtob
    Free Member

This thread really has woken up the STW dickheads keyboard warriors hasn’t it.

The aim of this thread was just to give others a quick courteous heads up, yet all the poor chap gets is grief.

Hope you’re recovering well OP 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

im off to Wales next weekend to do
    Stiniog, Llandegla and Afan…i had better be mended by then…lol..

I’ll be there next weekend too, doing Stiniog on the Sunday 🙂 I’ll keep an eye out for a bloke walking the trails before rolling every bump 😉
    GWS mate

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is because:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QyTyjQbvylg&t=1[/video]

njee20
    Free Member

healing vibes OP, anyone got a picture of this jump, its really hard to tell on videos what sections are like on mtb’ trails, often it looks flattened out and you dont get a real idea of the actual obstacle in question

It’s not actually that large at all, the problems are those mentioned – it was a straightforward drop, which now has a pit in the middle, requiring a bit more commitment, and it’s on a very busy trail with absolutely no other similar features, so it came as rather a shock when it suddenly appeared.

butterbean
    Free Member

Putting big drops and jumps into Surrey Hills ain’t the brightest thing to do IMHO – it’s very popular and attracts a lot of inexperienced riders who are unlikely to have the skills and experience to handle stuff like that…

It’s also where a lot of very quick and skilled people ride. I’m sure people can make an informed decision whether they are capable of riding a trail or feature.

In particular, putting a feature needing well-above-average skills into one of the easiest to find and therefore well-used trails is poor judgement – a massive mismatch between the trail and the riders likely to be riding it.

If people used the two things in the front of their skull, and they grey matter behind them, there is an obvious chicken line round the feature in question.

I’m in the camp that features like this should be in the trail, but only of there are chicken lines to support them. Otherwise the situation comes to be like Swinley, where a small rolling double had to be filled in to become a small table instead, dumbing down of trails to suit the lowest common denominator.

We’re not talking about hitting the main line of the Joyride trail at Crankworx here, with 50+ ft gaps. They are small little drops and gap jumps.

proflexforever
    Free Member

thats some funny shizzzle

shortcut

Healing vibes.

Yep – look before you leap and all that but digging holes in trails that hundreds of people ride seems a little selfish and indeed dangerous to me whilst gaining nothing interms of trail flow.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I was merely intending to ironically point out the level that to which the thread had quickly and predictably deteriorated to.

😀 🙄 😯 😆

dingabell
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever bothered to check a trail out on a normal ride before I’ve ridden it. You just presume it’s basically going to be the same as it’s always been, and if some slight changes have been made, you hope you’ll see them with enough time to change your usual line etc. I wouldn’t say this was your fault by any stretch, it’s just the nature of the beast sometimes. Get well soon mate.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    It’s not actually that large at all, the problems are those mentioned – it was a straightforward drop, which now has a pit in the middle, requiring a bit more commitment, and it’s on a very busy trail with absolutely no other similar features, so it came as rather a shock when it suddenly appeared.

ahh right, so is it incomplete then? to be finished still? if the jump was already there what is the purpose of this said pit, sounds like trail sabotage to me!

looks good fast fun though not much you can do in that situation really if you’ve already committed to riding it as it was before, just gotta hope you have enough speed to carry on through the new bits, a bit of luck, and a bit of get out of jail skill, but a combination of the 3 probably helps, but if your front wheel hits a pit and you dont know its there then not much will help i guess!

spacemonkey

Healing vibes dude.

FWIW, I went down there last week and saw 3 girls (aged say 7-12) pushing their little bikes up the trail from the car park end. I politely advised they turn round and explore elsewhere because “… a lot of big fast bikes come down here and they might not see you in time … “

Personally I don’t think it would do any harm for certain trail exits to have those no-entry signs. Official of unofficial, I don’t care. Have seen enough people wandering with kids/dogs along a stretch they really need to be careful on. Can’t see if happening though.

plyphon
    Free Member

I do tend to do a “slow run” at the start in case a tree is in the way round a blind corner or something.

But then again, at Lordswood a trail is 30 seconds long if that, so it’s not too bad to walk up to the top again.

nickc

We’re not talking about hitting the main line of the Joyride trail at Crankworx here, with 50+ ft gaps. They are small little drops and gap jumps.

Go have a look at the picture on the first page again….

Healing vibes OP, people shitting about with trails is a bummer

hopefiendboy

The PLETHORA of knobs on this forum astound me. But really I shouldn’t be surprised eh!

Get well soon!

njee20
    Free Member

ahh right, so is it incomplete then? to be finished still? if the jump was already there what is the purpose of this said pit, sounds like trail sabotage to me!

No idea! I rode down the trail a few weeks ago and there was a very shonky looking ‘jump’ dug into the trail, I didn’t really fancy it, so avoided it. Rode down the next time and it appeared to have turned more into a drop, which had been reinforced with boards etc, and looked fine, now it seems to have been dug out in the middle. I’ve not really given it that much attention now I know it’s there, not really a hassle to avoid!

LoCo
    Free Member

Get well soon Pro, easy done especially on shonky trail ‘adjustments’ not matter how awesomz you are.
    Have you seen what your old Remedy has become? 😉

weeksy

That’s possibly the funniest vid i’ve seen in YEARS !!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Get well soon and thanks for posting it.

I know that trail well, no real jumps on it so any regular rider of it like myself wouldn’t be expecting any.

IMO the hole that’s been dug is totally inappropriate and very dangerous and almost certainly truely unofficial. There are plenty of trails in the SH with jumps from small to pretty serious, a lot of them are hidden away for obvious reasons and most are built to a pretty high standard by people who know what they are doing. I think this has been dug by someone with no clue what they are doing on a trail they know about because it’s fairly common knowledge. Someone dug a similar pit and jump on BKB a while back.

In my view it’s trail vandalism.

I can see why @freeridebick and others are concerned about this thread because stuff like this is exactly the sort of vandalism that leads to the trails being closed. However, that doesn’t mean we should stay quiet about it.

freeridenick
    Free Member

jamba, problem is the trail itself is affectively vandalism let alone the jump!

the whole trail could be flattened by the Hurtwood with a few chainsaw strokes..only take 1 show to the ranger of neck brace picture…

The Hurtwood turn a blind eye to a lot….we don’t want it to turn into Swinley..

Gotama
    Free Member

Jambalaya – the jump was built by the guy that builds most of the other trails round there and it does ride well. As njee mentioned above it was fine for all when the wood was initially added, nothing more than a drop really. A less confident rider could ride at it slowly, push the front wheel off and generally be fine. Alternatively there is the chicken line. Since that point earth has been taken from the point behind the boarding to build up the landing ramp which has resulted in the hole and subsequent lip which was the OPs undoing. Now if you go off it with insufficient pace/skillz you end up with the opening post/vid.

surreyhillsmtber
    Free Member

Place your bets now on how long it takes the Ranger to destroy this…

I’m not against stuff like this in trails, I like to push/test my skills on these sort of features as much as the next person but, IMO, it’s bad judgement to put a feature into a trail that is out of character with the rest of the trail.

I also think it’s asking for trouble to build something like this on such a busy trail as it inevitably draws the attention of the Hurtwood to the trail and forces them not to turn a blind eye any longer.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘Crashed on surrey Hills..on "NEW" section (supernova)’ is closed to new replies.