• This topic has 191 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)
  • Crashed on surrey Hills..on "NEW" section (supernova)
  • proflexforever
    Free Member

spawnofyorkshire

i think it says it somewhere in the dine print

lcj

Hope the OP heals quickly, a crash hurts regardless of how it happened.

I think the new jump on that trail is a shame – it didnt need it and the best bits of the trail (i.e. the corners) seem to have been lost to give space for the jump. Just my two cents!

freeridenick
    Free Member

I still don’t get it. Isn’t mountain biking meant to challenge us?

I like the addition to the trail, its not hard by any stretch, there is a ride round…

there aren’t enough jumps in the surrey hills as it is.

I crash, we all crash. strava hunting means we crash even more!

GT, yep certainly was a mincer! 😯

Gotama
    Free Member

Isn’t mountain biking meant to challenge us?

Yes, but why does that have to be done with a jump? I can quite happily do the jump but i preferred the trail before it was put in. The chicken line is a bit rubbish and the corners which made it fun for a lot of people have been removed to make way for the jump. Whilst i can appreciate that the guy doing all the work on the trails is doing what he feels is fun, it’s not his land and i think a bit of consideration for the masses would lead to less trouble in the long term. Why not leave the trail as it was but put a higher line where the chicken run is to make a hip? Surely that makes it fun for everyone.

I also liked the narrow trees that he’s taken out. Was it a challenge to get the bars through there or something? My 780mm fit just fine.

proflexforever
    Free Member

freeridenick

i think youve missed the point…im just saying that i crashed on it..im giving people the heads up before someone else comes of worse…im all for jumps..(that i can do, obviously….lol)..

My brothers just pointed out.(who was there) the chicken run thats next to the jump last night was actually covered in a cut down tree..( i had didn’t see this)

although he did see some tyre treds even higher up the trail…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

To be fair if you can ride that trail at any sort of pace the old berms were too tight, it was easier to double them up.

I like the new jump for what it’s worth. It would appear I’m the minority though

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

This just reminds me that I need to get over the Hills. Seems ages since I was last over there.

Supernova is the wiggly, one that comes down the left side of the valley as you head to Peaslake? Crosses over the fireroad, leading to the later addition to it into Walking Bottom carpark, yes?

Also, can anyone categorically state who’s fault this crash was? The rider of the trail pixies?

Also, can anyone clear something up for me? Is trail building in the surrey hills a contentious subject? I have no idea.

Gotama
    Free Member

My brothers just pointed out.(who was there) the chicken run thats next to the jump last night was actually covered in a cut down tree..( i had didn’t see this)

🙄

freeridenick
    Free Member

proflex

Fair enough, but everytime anything interesting is built it lasts about 2 days before it gets taken out…this just feeds the flames.

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst i can appreciate that the guy doing all the work on the trails is doing what he feels is fun, it’s not his land and i think a bit of consideration for the masses would lead to less trouble in the long term

That’s my thoughts. Freeridenick you may feel that the sport needs ‘furthering’ and that but the SH is a pretty contentious area with a lot of potentially conflicting parties, and doing things like this on private land, without permission, really isn’t ideal. It’s at least an improvement if they’re in more discrete places.

this just feeds the flames.

What flames? 😕

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Has it definitely been done without permission then?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Without you know who, there would hardly be any trails…
    evian, cochise, etc etc are all built illegally without permission.

the legacy trails are generally shit

yunki
    Free Member

just hang around up there until you spot someone digging some new stuff and smack them in the neck with a spade..

an eye for an eye.. it’s what the trailbuilders would have wanted with their freedom of self expression ethos..
    If they complain, you can always tell them that it’s their/they’re/there fault, and some people like violence, why should we curtail violence just to please them etc etc

butterbean
    Free Member

Has it definitely been done without permission then?

Pretty much everything up there worth riding is built without permission.

Everyone knows they are there, on the whole common sense is applied.

I can’t believe people are getting their knickers in a twist over some trail evolution & a little jump, that has a chicken line round it.

peterfile
    Free Member

Reason im putting it on here is because i had NO IDEA that the trail ahead of me had changed..

Were you expecting someone to email you with details of the change?

Eyes open, head up, read the trail in front of you. It’s an easy mistake to make when you’re familiar with a trail, but i’m not sure the blame sits much further than from where you are sitting/lying.

Sorry to hear you’re hurt though, hope you feel better soon.

zippykona

Jeez people he’s not asking for sympathy just giving us a heads up.
    Maybe for a little while we will contemplate what’s around that corner we ride every day.

Northwind

Maybe you should recon every trail, every time you ride it. Does anyone in the world do that?

OK, obviously unofficial digging, you can hardly hold to official digging standards. Expecting signs etc isn’t realistic. But, they don’t have to be dicks about it either. Some of the local diggers have a real thing for digging holes in the blind behind a jump, sometimes it’s borrow pits but sometimes you see the spoil’s just been tossed aside- the only reason for the hole is to add consequences. (similiarly, throwing debris into the landing area so that if you come up short, you crash) Why would you do that?

So this one sounds a bit like that, digging a hazard for no real reason at all, which is a ****’s trick IMO.

peterfile
    Free Member

Good point zippy, i was confusing some of the subsequent posts as being the OPs 😳

Sorry!

nuke

Without you know who

Yay 😀 …50 posts in on this thread about the Surrey hills, jumps and injury and ‘he’ hadn’t been mentioned…I was starting to worry standards were slipping around here 😉

All sounds jolly dangerous for mincers like me who still crash a lot 🙁

Get well soon proflexforever

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Just because I saw some members of the Hurtwood up there, presumed it would have disappeared if it wasn’t legit. I was up there yday as well OP. Was going relatively quick but still managed to see the chicken line on the left so had a stop to check out what the jump was like- tree must have appeared after 7pm when I left after the rain started. Was fairly dark in the woods at that time I guess…To be honest I think they’ve done a fairly good job compared to most jumps that get put in- at least there’s a chicken line

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Looks nasty – get well soon.

proflexforever
    Free Member

but i’m not sure the blame sits much further than from where you are sitting/lying

it was my fault….lol

said that 9 times now..

win!!

peterfile
    Free Member

aye, sorry mate, I did realise my mistake straight away 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but sometimes you see the spoil’s just been tossed aside- the only reason for the hole is to add consequences. (similiarly, throwing debris into the landing area so that if you come up short, you crash) Why would you do that?

because people are lazy dicks who in the words of someone I once met are nothing but Car Park Cock Wavers who like to prove how big they are by making stuff like that. The skilled riders will clear it but also not care if there isn’t a pit of crap left there.

proflexforever
    Free Member

tree must have appeared after 7pm

i came through about 7.30ish..

there could have been another chicken line up there that i missed all together, as i wasnt planning on taking the chicken line…

PS. STW…..it was my fault… 😉

parkesie
    Free Member

Stop sanitising trails stop radicalising trails 😆

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Ergh you got caught in the rain then? Main chicken line is literally just to the left of the jump/drop but goes up a wee bit to come back down so disrupts the flow quite a bit. I don’t know why the gap isn’t changed into just a drop though, especially as the second jump isn’t great

butterbean
    Free Member

Next time, I suggest when you are riding a trail & looking ahead and you spot an obvious lip for a jump (it’s pretty obvious in this case) you stop & have a quick look to see if there is a gap/snake pit/firey cliff of death/etc on the other side…

Then you can make an assessment whether its within your skillset to clear, push back up the trail & hit it, or just ride round.

Hitting something blind with no idea on the size is pretty special. That being said, you’ve probably learnt a lesson & feeling the result sadly. Heal up & hit it with a bit more conviction next time, little more speed & you will be fine 🙂

proflexforever
    Free Member

Hitting something blind with no idea on the size is pretty special.

i wasnt riding blind.im not an idiot..if you read the entire thread you would know this
    …ive ran this trail loads…i ran it when the jump first appeared a few weeks back..
    the huge pit behind the lip(that you cant see nutil your on it) wasnt there when i ran it last time

heihei

I like it! Got 6th place down there on Tuesday night…in the dark too! 😉

njee20
    Free Member

It has ‘evolved’ quite a bit as a feature since it was first dug, which I guess is par for the course, but understandable as to why you were caught out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Next time, I suggest when you are riding a trail & looking ahead and you spot an obvious lip for a jump (it’s pretty obvious in this case) you stop & have a quick look to see if there is a gap/snake pit/firey cliff of death/etc on the other side…

Yep, I stop every time I go round a corner on trials I have ridden loads before.

Hitting something blind with no idea on the size is pretty special.

bit like not reading the rest of the thread 😉

butterbean
    Free Member

i wasnt riding blind.im not an idiot..if you read the entire thread you would know this
    …ive ran this trail loads…i ran it when the jump first appeared a few weeks back..
    the huge pit behind the lip(that you cant see nutil your on it) wasnt there when i ran it last time

If that’s how you ‘jumped’ it before then, you probably should be going round features like that anyway. You basically dropped off it to flat. The landing starts at ~a bike length out.

If that’s your idea of a huge pit, then you best not go near proper jumps.

proflexforever
    Free Member

i dont do proper jumps,…i cant jump for shit…but i would of landed it fine if it was the way i remembered it to be..
    like i said 11 times now..it was my fault..

dont start criticizing my riding style or lack there of.
    that’s not what this thread is about

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Ah now starts the ‘who can p*** the furthest’ contest…

proflexforever
    Free Member

tyredbiker

its STW i knew it wouldnt take long….

:mrgreen:

butterbean
    Free Member

Ah now starts the ‘who can p*** the furthest’ contest…

ZOMG once Pedal and Spoke heard I cleared the 5ft gap they offered me a Carbon Bronson for free there & then!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

but i would of landed

“would have” 😕

proflexforever
    Free Member

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

so now its down to picking holes in peoples grammar..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5TFqQhfKI[/video]

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

Glad you didn’t break your neck. I came across the “modified” double for the first time on Sunday and minced around it. I haven’t had a go at it but would have thought you’d need to be going for it out of the corner to clear it so I’d expect you’re not the last person who’s going to A&E from this one.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘Crashed on surrey Hills..on "NEW" section (supernova)’ is closed to new replies.