Home Forums Bike Forum Crashed into an out of control dog – what next?

Viewing 8 posts - 241 through 248 (of 248 total)
  • Crashed into an out of control dog – what next?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Fortunately I’m able to get counselling through work (and have been doing), but I may end up getting some CBT sessions.

tomcrow99

So sorry to read all of this; as a cyclist who regularly uses the WoL, a dog owner and a fellow PCS sufferer.

Your instinctive reactions are understandable, I had an accident on the road earlier in the year, and took me a good few commutes to get my nerve back when cars passed closely.

For my own part, on shared use paths like the WoL, if I see someone walking without a dog, but with a lead etc. I’ll slow down and go on high alert for a possible surprise, and move away from the edges if possible.

Hope the head is improving, I had a really bad one 3 years ago and I’m not back to where I was before, doubt I ever will be. Pm if you like, I’m in Ratho so assume fairly local.

DrJ

Sue them till the pips squeak. Don’t be squeamish about the personal injury even if minor, that’s just the rules of the game and they are the ones upping the ante, you’re well justified in retaliating within the law.

For future reference, is there a specific insurance for cycling-related problems? British Cycling? Or just ask your household insurance?

munrobiker
    Free Member

My household insurance would have covered it but I’ve found using a lawyer to be more flexible than insurance, and more personal. As issues have arisen it’s been easy to go back to them in a way I’ve not found insurers to be.

winston
    Free Member

Not just a UK issue….

So just had a call from my wife. Her brother (who lives in Holland) has just done exactly the same thing as the OP. Cycling to work on a cycle path, out of control off the lead dog ran in front of him and he went over the bars. Luckily, because he is a MTBer and its kinda ingrained unlike many in Holland he was wearing a helmet but he’s still in hospital with 4 broken ribs, broken fingers and possibly a separated shoulder. Its a huge problem as he is the main carer for his disabled son.

He knows the dog owner apparently as it was just a few hundred meters from his work and its a huge dog looked after by a young girl who can’t hold it back when it wants to run.

I’m not sure if there is compulsory dog insurance in Netherlands – but this, the OP’s situation and countless dog bites like mine is a strong argument for its introduction!

rudedog
    Free Member

I live in Longstone and have been using the WoT cycle path to get to the Pentlands for the last 8 years – I’ve had loads of near misses with dogs off the lead during this time but thankfully no collisions.

It is really frustrating though – it’s a national cycle route (NCN 75) that’s been heavily funded by Sustrans but many dog owners treat it like a dedicated dog park.  I do think that it would be really helpful if there were more signs up reminding users of shared spaces of their responsibilities – dogs should be under control at all times, either on a short lead or at heel if off lead.

Sorry to hear of the stress this incident has caused you MB.

spooky_b329

If they have pet insurance then they should have 3rd party liability cover. It’s absolutely NOT in their interests to go down that route

Why wouldn’t they want to use their pet insurance liability cover? You’d use it for a vet bill.  Helmet and GPS could be £300-500 so it’s not a petty amount.

tjagain

I do think that it would be really helpful if there were more signs up reminding users of shared spaces of their responsibilities – dogs should be under control at all times, either on a short lead or at heel if off lead.

At the leith end there are.

Viewing 8 posts - 241 through 248 (of 248 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.