Home Forums Bike Forum Conti Xynotal?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Conti Xynotal?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Kryptotal on the back of my Rocketmax over the winter and rather like it. I’m tempted to try a Xynotal as a faster rolling summer tyre. Anybody got experience of them? Peaks/Lakes/Tweed valley mix of rock bashing and steep enduro style loamy rooty stuff.

…and while you’re there…
    Casings and compounds. The Kryptotal I’ve got is the 2.4 Trail version which I run with a Rimpact (which has defintely seen some action judging by the cuts and missing bits in it). However unless I run it silly hard – if I ride bikepark type trails I can feel the casing rolling in corners – it rolls onto the Rimpact, then the whole lot rolls and it gives a weird stepped feeling to the drift. So I’m thinking about the Enduro single casing which weighs about the same as Trail + Rimpact. A) will this be stiff enough for the rock bashing without pinchflatting? B) how soft is the soft compound? Feels a bit silly to fit a tyre with a fast rolling tread, then slow it back down with soft rubber!

Thanks!

joebristol

I’ve just gone from trail kryptotal rear to enduro soft Xynotal. Ran the same tyre last summer. It is faster than the Kryptotal – but it’s not as fast as something like say a Rekon. I think the casing is relatively tough – I did rip the side wall of one in Dyfi Forest but I think I was unlucky landing hard on it against a bit of sharp rock.

I’d say cornering grip is similar to the Kryptotal but it loses a little bit under braking and under drive uphill when it’s muddy. I’d say you could normally get away with it as a 3 season tyre just about – although perhaps not with the October-April bog snorkelling conditions we’ve had this year.

bornonaboat

Tweed valley local here, I put an enduro xynotal on the back of my bike about a month ago having worn out the last kryptotal and have been hating it.

Yes it rolls faster on the climbs but it’s got way less grip for braking/cornering on anything loose/loamy/rooty.

So much so that I have just bought a kryptotal enduro to stick back on.

Your experience may be different because I also hated the trail kryptotal I tried, the harder compound just didn’t cut the mustard for me.

I’d also say that the 2.4 is better than the 2.6 which is a little bit too fat for the muddy stuff and ends up floating across the top.

julians
    Free Member

I just swapped from a kryptotal enduro soft rear to a xynotal enduro soft , I dont notice much difference in braking or cornering, but I do notice a distinct lack of traction when climbing on soft steep ground, I guess thats due to the ramps on the knobs that give decent rolling speed , cant have everything I guess.

Other than that it seems fine to me.

joebristol

@bornonaboat

it probably depends on what you ride most. I ride a mixture on hardpack trail centre / off piste natural stuff at Forest of Dean and Risca (Cwmcarn), local woods and the Mendips.

I’ve found the kryptotal rear trail / endurance ok on most stuff – although I’m not constantly riding steep tech covered in slippery roots or rocks. I’m also ‘middling’ as a rider – I’m vaguely competent but I’m not really pushing the boundaries of speed or tyre limits.

Local woods are a bit clay like and slippery with some roots – Hillbilly / Kryptotal r is pretty much perfect there. Also works great at the Mendips.

Risca and Cwmcarn (even the off piste) is pretty good in all weathers – the bits I rode are quite steep in places but generally grippy.

FOD is more rooty but again that combo works great.

Kryptotal Fr / Xynotal rear for me is ok in the damp through to dry conditions. If it gets proper muddy then the Xynotal mostly lacks the drive forward. For me it’s quite similar in capability to a 2.3 dhr2 – but feels like it’s a bit faster rolling.

bikesandboots

So I’m thinking about the Enduro single casing which weighs about the same as Trail + Rimpact. A) will this be stiff enough for the rock bashing without pinchflatting? B) how soft is the soft compound? Feels a bit silly to fit a tyre with a fast rolling tread, then slow it back down with soft rubber!

If the Xynotal is like the Kryptotal, the Trail’s weight will be as claimed, but the Enduro will be almost 10% overweight. Check what they come up as on the scales on r2-bike or one of the other German shops that weigh everything on their own scale.

I’ve had Kryptotal in Trail and Enduro. The Enduro is certainly stiffer. Used to run Trail+Rimpact with 20psi up front, that same 20psi in an Enduro without Rimpact feels like the tyre isn’t conforming to the trail. Drop it to 18psi and it’s fine, but burps sealant/air in rock gardens. So for me the Enduro casing isn’t really working.

As for slowing down the tyre, compound makes far more difference than tread pattern. So expect a Xynotal Enduro to be slower than a Kryptotal Re Trail.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

My front Kryptotal is also quite burpy. Never masses of sealant or air but never had a tyre like it. No insert, enduro casing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.