Home Forums Bike Forum Constant Hope Pro 4 freehub failures – anything to be done?

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Constant Hope Pro 4 freehub failures – anything to be done?
  • damascus
    Free Member

So many hope hubs breaking so quickly suggests that it’s more likely to be a frame issue. Possibly misaligned frame or the stays are just not strong enough for your weight and power and its twisting.

Can you brace the rear triangle? Give it more strength?

Was the surly a similar design to your current bike?

Bracing it might be cheaper than dt Swiss hubs especially if they are going to go pop too?

Over 18 stone plus kit and water and almost 2 metres tall and powerful legs over rough terrain. What’s the recommended weight limit for the bike?

Maybe stick a camera on the back wheel and go for a ride, see how much flex you can get out of the frame?

Alternatively if you just use it as 29er plus sell it and buy a normal frame with 148 boost. Maybe go for a steel frame?

trifoster
    Free Member

I’m taller and heavier. Your problem without doubt is flex. Unfortunately you’ve got numerous issues which are just causing a problem in the weakest component.

The hubs not ground up built for its use. The frames titanium and you’re not only heavy but tall.

The leverage point of the frame stays the same at axle height. More weight is more leverage on the frame. The higher the weight goes up. Even if its the same weight. The more stress on the leverage point. Being a heavy and tall is a perfect storm.

So basically your flexing at the bottom bracket and stays on a hub that’s not strong enough in the first place.

You also have to remember your wheels being wider and stronger also compound the problem because they’re stiffer. I’ve had rear wheels unlace themselves with a strong rim and flexible frame.

Seeing how quickly you’re having problems. My guess would be a different hub wouldn’t solve your problem. You need a stronger hub and frame. Most likely custom.

It’s not just about power to the back wheel because I’m not a powerful rider. You’re putting more stress on the components via leverage because we all rock a little. IMO this is proven in part by snapping going up hill.

Things need to designed differently when you’re bigger. But obviously bike stuff is designed for your average rider and a fat bike is already pushing the design limits.

jameso

That video above is very interesting. I had never given any thought to the importance of the clamping force before. I had been wondering why Hope specified the axle torque on the HB130 as high as 30-35 Nm. Maybe that is what is required to keep the Pro 4 working reliably.

It is.. I have Hope SS hubs on 2 bikes that fit with 8mm bolts into QR dropouts and the only minor issue I have is general bearing life (and a cracked hub shell, unrelated, and after 6 years use). The shorter freehub and bolts might be saving an otherwise high use and fairly highly-loaded hub from some of the issues I’ve heard from others.

First thing I thought from the OP was flex and axle/bearing alignment, esp on a Ti frame under a heavy rider.

isitafox
    Free Member

Only solution is to ditch Hope. I know a lot of trials riders who have had the exact same problem with the Pro 4 trials hub, one lad who lives near the factory and has taken the problem up with them has gone through I think 4 or 5 in the last year

big_scot_nanny

Thanks all.

Well, poop.

I think, realistically, it’s time to stop throwing money at wheels for Nanny (name of the bike).

Will send the stuff back to Hope for them to assess, they of course replied immediate to my note on Friday, and I have been straightforward about all the facts. I’m sure they will do what they can, lets see.

Appreciate all the insights

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Constant Hope Pro 4 freehub failures – anything to be done?’ is closed to new replies.