Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Colour dilemma. Let's see your steel hardtails then
  • binners

I’ve just stripped down the P7 and it’s off to the powder coaters on Monday. But I can’t decide what colour to do it.

At the moment I’m thinking British racing green, or powder blue. Hmmmmmmm

Inspire me with pictures of your skinny tubed hatdtails. Or just chip in and gob off about what colour will look best

Go! ….

racefaceec90

here’s my current (only bike) charge duster (before they went clown wheels 😉

am thinking about either getting another road bike or upgrading this one to either a soul/ti 456 evo (in stages as am skint).

RustySpanner

I have a foolproof method for such situations:

1. Imagine the frame in your mind.
    2. Then, imagine the frame painted in each of your shortlist of colours.
    3. Pick the one you like most.

It’s a bit complicated at first, but I’m sure an intelligent, professional designer like yourself can do it. 😀

woodnut
    Free Member

Old photo, but still using my candy apple green (?) Genesis

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How about a nice bright blue, Binners? With white and orange decals stickers?

As it happens, would be a pretty damned good colorway paint job, don’t you think?

bearnecessities

(EDIT: Not actually mine, got carried away and fogot about the original question 😳 )

takisawa2

Got to be Kermit…

IMAG0130 by pten2106, on Flickr

Jamie
    Free Member

Black.

I have no imagination.

penguinni

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Take your pick:

The black one rode the best, but I don’t suppose you care really.

Finally, not a ht mtb, but a hardtail, steel and skinny tubed (and a nice colour):

binners

Do you know what Flashy? That is absolutely bloody inspired!!! My forks and brakes are white. So I’m thinking Powder blue frame, then get some orange Orange graphics, and a subtle Gregg’s logo on the top tube!

I’d never really noticed that Gregg’s have the same colour combo as the Gulf GT40’s, which everyone knows is the finest spray job ever to grace a car!

You sir are a genius!!! 🙂

Bregante

We have a winner! 🙂

Further inspiration.

Or, with white forks

Fave looking hardtail ever.

RustyMac

luke – munrobiker got a Kona done recently that looks amazing in blue, if you can get it to look anything like this that would be good in my books.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Binners, the invoice is in the post. Same payment terms as normal.

slowoldman

I’d never really noticed that Gregg’s have the same colour combo as the Gulf GT40’s, which everyone knows is the finest spray job ever to grace a car!

Bloody hell so it is! I wondered what made me keep going back.

metalheart
    Free Member

The only bike I’ve had resprayed was my Kona Explosif which I got BRG. Sorry, I don’t have any photos of that bike 🙁

It’s the only custom colour for me.

Gregg’s blue for you though I can appreciate… :mrgreen:

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Here’s mine, always looks reddish in photos, but it’s orange, although if it ever needs repainting I think I’d go for powder blue, it just looks so good on skinny steel tubes IMO.

binners

Flashy – the I’ve ordered the usual Gregg’s hamper to be delivered sir 😉

RustySpanner

So that’s light blue, orange and light green out for my next build then. 😀
    Common as muck.

edhornby

Go on the internet and look for images from the UK handmade bike show, bound to be lots of ideas there

Shand do a bright yellow that looks cool

edhornby

What colour forks and finishing kit? BRG could look great with white forks as long as it’s not all white for everything else..

sefton
    Free Member

just go black binners and get some fresh p7 /orange sticker

andybloomer
    Free Member

bearnecessities

That Shan is a bit lovely.

wiggles
    Free Member

dc11
    Free Member

Not in your shortlist of colours, I know. However, it is skinny tubed steel and powder coated.

binners

That does look particularly lovely!

Ed – folks and brakes are white. Everything else is black. I’m already thinking a couple of orange anodised bits on a powder blue frame might look quite nice though. And so it begins…..

timmys

Edit: Now I’ve read the thread, do you want to borrow my sons helmet?

dc11
    Free Member

Cheers Binners. I’ve always had a thing for powder blue with white forks, so that’d be my vote.

One thing I have noticed on my frame is that the top of the top tube has started to dull quite significantly, is this common with powder coating?

dannyh
    Free Member

Advocaat yellow is a colour I’ve always thought would look good with some nice anodised red bits and pieces.

If you go for racing green, may I suggest leaving a white oval on the top tube just ahead of the seat tube junction for a nice bold black font “GB”.

nickc

[/url]Untitled by nickcummins1, on Flickr[/img]

Before I built it.

Thing of beauty :mrgreen:

dannyh
    Free Member

Another possibility would be a nice deep, but metallic chocolate brown with some orange decals.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Stealthy look here…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eSmeff]Mk 8[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

I call it ‘Trusty Rusty’

dan86
    Free Member

My alpine …

Rorschach
    Free Member

Raw or lightly tinted (red) lacquer.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Orange used to do a custom colour: sparkle blue, which looks great on a steel hard tail. I know this because I have a P7 in the garage finished in it, but sadly no pics to hand. It’s a pale silvery blue, with silver decals.
    No pics doesn’t help, does it?
    Sorry.

bmike
    Free Member

I’ve just got my two Cotic Soul frames back from powder coating, and one of them is almost this shade of blue (RAL 5015, with a slight metallic effect mixed in).

Thanks to CaptainFlashheart, I’ll always know it as “Gregg’s Blue” from now on!

The other one is RAL ‘Traffic Red’, not started building either yet, I’ll try and get some photos up soon.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Used to have a white one. Black is better.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Matt Black Commencal Absolut

kayak23

Another greenun’

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Colour dilemma. Let's see your steel hardtails then’ is closed to new replies.