Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 512 total)
  • Clarkson 'n-word' furore!
  • klumpy
    Free Member

Just as you can use coloured in the US and not here

WHAT!?!? I remember as a kid we were encouraged to use coloured, not black. Now coloured has been rotated out? When? Who decides? Do they send a memo? Why aren’t I on the mailing list?

Just as ridiculous as the yanks objecting to oriental, which I still struggle to believe…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the contrary, we will have defeated racism when we can use adjectives like black, white and coloured without prejudice. Hiding behind invented adjectives solves nothing, it’s just hiding.

On the theme, when did white Irish come in as a race category? Seen it twice recently. Is it new?

hora
    Free Member

So if you cant use coloured, can we say black?

Ok we could say ‘of Afro-Carribean descent’ but then thats the same as saying ‘hes a bloke of Western European descent’.

If I called someone an African, I bet my voice would be listened to closely and I’d be asked to clarify.

**** minefield. We should clamp down on malice rather than simple words with no ill-intent.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just as ridiculous as the yanks objecting to oriental, which I still struggle to believe…

So do Asians. How about using words the words that people like, to describe them?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why aren’t I on the mailing list?

You have been black I mean colour listed [/s] removed from the list

On the theme, when did white Irish come in as a race category? Seen it twice recently. Is it new?

UK govt has used it for EU funded programmes for at least the last 4 years – It has always been on the forms – not sure when it started so not that new

You are correct that when we can all just innocently use words we will have defeated racism and the problem is we are trying to defeat an attitude [ racism /sexism] by picking on words and it is not 100 % accurate.

We should clamp down on malice rather than simple words with no ill-intent.

are you arguing the n word has no malice and is just a simple word?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

**** minefield. We should clamp down on malice rather than simple words with no ill-intent.

It’s only a minefield if you’re socially inept.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I distinctly remember using the original rhyme when VERY young, maybe around 1956 or ’57 and thinking nothing of it. I recall later on being aware that you shouldn’t use the word, and I know my appalling parents didn’t, but then they were more interested in being anti-semites…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

On the theme, when did white Irish come in as a race category?

When it is used to distinguish white Irish from black Irish ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Phil Lynott: “You think it’s hard being black? Try black, Irish AND a bastard…” 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well odd that it is contained among the other “white” categories?

Seems a bit strange to me. Why do we need to discriminate on the base of one nation? We dont ask if someone is White Welsh.

edlong
    Free Member

Ok we could say ‘of Afro-Carribean descent’

Do keep up – “Afro-Caribbean” is no longer the preferred term, since “Afro” is a hairstyle, not an identified ethnic origin. “African-Caribbean” is preferred these days (although may be out of date and replaced with something else by the time this post is sent).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I recall later on being aware that you shouldn’t use the word, and I know my appalling parents didn’t, but then they were more interested in being anti-semites…

I remember when I was primary school age not understanding why my mother didn’t find my jokes about Jews dying in concentration camps funny, when as far as I was concerned they so clearly were.

I also remember all hell breaking lose when my father discovered that one of my siblings had drawn a swastika with their finger on a dirty pane of glass.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Surely this place should be called ‘Sanctimonious Tossers World’?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I’m reading this and agreeing with Hora and THM. Some of you lot need to see the bigger picture and work out why some people are offended.

As for Clarkson, he didn’t actually say **** and he complaining that he mumbled a word that ‘after expert sound analysis’ definitely started with ‘n’ is **** mental.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Surely this place should be called ‘Sanctimonious Tossers World’?

Erm… Eh?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We dont ask if someone is White Welsh.

I do when I’m on the sheep dating website.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

As for Clarkson, he didn’t actually say **** and he complaining that he mumbled a word that ‘after expert sound analysis’ definitely started with ‘n’ is **** mental.

Nah what’s mental is that he didnt use…

Ip, dip, dog sh**, dirty barstand, fracking git, you are not it.

But then he knew excatly what he was doing

grum
    Free Member

Except that he did. You don’t need expert audio analysis to hear it either.

It’s only a minefield if you’re socially inept.

Yup, it’s really not that difficult is it. And if you make a well-intentioned mistake most people won’t judge you for it. Clarkson’s wasn’t a well-intentioned mistake though.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

So mumbling sounds that sound like real words is as bad as actually using them then? If you lot can hear an offensive word in there then really, I applaud you, because I’d be willing to bet, out of context, without knowing who was speaking you wouldn’t hear anything of the sort.

kimbers

the context is hes a riske entertainer whos has a history of making almost racist gaffes

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Don’t have to hear something to know what’s implied.

He would have only had to say Eenie Meenie……. and you would know what he meant, because of his previous that Kimbers has pionted out

Drac

He would have only had to say Eenie Meenie……. and you would know what he meant

Many of the outraged on here wouldn’t as they hadn’t heard of that N word version, that’s probably why they can hear it as they’ve been told what to listen for. I couldn’t hear it.

Welcome to the thread.

El-bent
    Free Member

On the contrary, we will have defeated racism when we can use adjectives like black, white and coloured without prejudice. Hiding behind invented adjectives solves nothing, it’s just hiding.

What is being missed here is using terms mentioned above still carry connotations of racism, and its a bit too early to be considering using those terms with no strings attached with so much recent history.

But I think those terms should just disappear regardless, because we could just call our fellow humans…fellow humans. Its not actually difficult to be in-offensive.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t have to hear something to know what’s implied.

He would have only had to say Eenie Meenie……. and you would know what he meant, because of his previous that Kimbers has pionted out

Yeah he could have just said “dip dip sky blue who’s it not you”.

Luckily the eenie meenie version wasn’t broadcast so it hasn’t caused any offence.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Been here a while, checkout 3/4 of the way done page 2

So because you can’t hear it, that’s OK ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

We dont ask if someone is White Welsh.

Because they would also be White British as would the english, the scots and some Irish.

Yes I know technically Ireland is UK not Britain but you know what i mean and I did not make the categories.

If you lot can hear an offensive word in there then really, I applaud you, because I’d be willing to bet, out of context, without knowing who was speaking you wouldn’t hear anything of the sort.

Perhaps you want to ask Clarkson who was so concerned he sent a memo to make sure it was not broadcast seeing as it is just us who can hear it…the **** bed wetter.

If even Clarkson wont defend that fact it sounds like it [ though he was trying so hard to not say he that he said it] why on earth are some of you?

Drac

So because you can’t hear it, that’s OK ?

So it’s offensive when you don’t hear it?

If even Clarkson wont defend that fact it sounds like it [ though he was trying so hard to not say he that he said it] why on earth are some of you?

Because I didn’t hear it. If I didn’t hear the N word then I didn’t hear it.

project
    Free Member

No said a manager of a kids resourse centre back i 1993m we usd to manufactre and supplyy BLACKBOARDS, the things kids chalk on, we got told that we had to call them CHALK BOARDS, as the words BLACKBOARD deemeanaded black people, a few weeks later we stated doing white faced ones for painting on, we called them painting easels, same chap said why not call them WHITEBOARDS, i just pointed out that deeemed white people, he just didnt get it.

Some people like to find offence in some words or just manipulate that word for attention seeking purposes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well he chose not to have it aired so clearly even he thought it had potential to offend.

You are not just arguing over what we think you are arguing against what he thinks
    Even for STW this is a new level of preposterous

Some people like to find offence in some words or just manipulate that word for attention seeking purposes

You and white board for example?

Drac

Well he chose not to have it aired so clearly even he thought it had potential to offend.

It wasn’t intended to be aired, caught something on TV this am that said they’re call a ‘rush’ it’s a sort dress rehearsal where there practice certain parts but not necessarily to the finished script.

You are not just arguing over what we think you are arguing against what he thinks
    Even for STW this is a new level of preposterous

No I’m not. I didn’t hear the word is what I’ve said. As usually with your standard your copy and pasting with your own interpretation never a new low for you.

No said a manager of a kids resourse centre back i 1993m we usd to manufactre and supplyy BLACKBOARDS, the things kids chalk on, we got told that we had to call them CHALK BOARDS, as the words BLACKBOARD deemeanaded black people,

Either you’re spinning a yarn are you company fell for an urban myth. The term has continued to be used.

edlong
    Free Member

@project

Never mind chalkboards, try getting off the phone with someone you’ve just been discussing the new internet filtering arrangements with and then sending an email to the whole organisation about the “blacklists” and “whitelists” of websites.

The same organisation that would like everyone to refrain from using the outdated term “Afro-Caribbean”…

Drac

Going to have to explain that one to me edlong, since when was blacklist deemed offensive?

edlong
    Free Member

seriously? tbh, I thought it was the pretty obvious association of black = bad; white = good that people object to on that one.

Hence the chalkboard one being a nonsense – there being no good or bad connotations to whether a board is black or white, just a literal description of its colour…

Drac

seriously? tbh, I thought it was the pretty obvious association of black = bad; white = good that people object to on that one

Really? I’ve never heard anyone complain about the term.

grum
    Free Member

Because I didn’t hear it. If I didn’t hear the N word then I didn’t hear it.

What word do you think he said then?

Drac

What word do you think he said then?

I did that way back, I heard nurrnum.

grum
    Free Member

That’s not a word though is it. Can you not make out any of the words around it either?

Why do you think he would be just making up a random sound and saying that, rather than using the racist term which is part of the nursery rhyme he’s reciting, that it sounds very much like?

Drac

That’s not a word though is it.

Well done have a gold star.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

What would you think if he had said, very clearly, the N-word ?

grum
    Free Member

You really have to be trying very hard to claim he’s not saying the word, and even he hasn’t really denied it. 😕

Yes he mumbles it a bit but it’s still pretty clear.

Well done have a gold star.

🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Clarkson 'n-word' furore!’ is closed to new replies.