Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 512 total)
  • Clarkson 'n-word' furore!
  • Drac

You really have to be trying very hard to claim he’s not saying the word, and even he hasn’t really denied it.

I didn’t hear it.

What would you think if he had said, very clearly, the N-word ?

Done that as well. That he was silly for using a word that is offensive but that he didn’t mean it in a racist term, simply sang the rhyme of old he sang as a kid.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think Clarkson’s manipulation and boundary-pushing for effect and career stimulation has just turned around and bitten him in the bum, basically.

Ironically, it was from something that was only “under consideration” and subsequently rejected then got found out.

Hoist. Petard.

portlyone

What would you think if he had said, very clearly, the N-word ?

They wouldn’t have needed audio experts to clarify the situation?

Drac

Ironically, it was from something that was only “under consideration” and subsequently rejected then got found out.

And the recording played around with so Grum could hear what he thought he heard.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

To quote you

simply sang the rhyme of old he sang as a kid

To quote me from page 2

It’s political correctness gone mad, l tell you

You can’t even scrawl racial abuse, in crap, on someone’s car anymore 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

And the recording played around with so Grum could hear what he thought he heard.

Black ops, clearly. 😆

Drac

Errr! Cheers Ro5ey. 😕

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Done that as well. That he was silly for using a word that is offensive but that he didn’t mean it in a racist term, simply sang the rhyme of old he sang as a kid.

Except he’s used other racist terms with premeditation, so I’m quite happy assuming he did this time as well.

Here’s to hoping the unfunny gobshite gets fired.

Drac

Careful Mr Woppit edlong might find that offensive or even vile.

Except he’s used other racist terms with premeditation, so I’m quite happy assuming he did this time as well.

Good for you.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funny, I thought the Blackwash test series in ’84 was a good one for the West Indies. Perhaps the supporters just had a SOH?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

And you don’t just say the N-word accidentally, nor do you sing a rhyme with it in accidentaly. He had plenty of lines before he got to the line that including the word – where is brain could have said

hang on a minute, maybe I should subsitute spider or tiger

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

seriously? tbh, I thought it was the pretty obvious association of black = bad; white = good that people object to on that one.

Well people wear black at funerals, and people dying is a bad thing, what more proof would anyone need?

It reminds of how many years ago a girlfriend of that time tried to convince me, bless her, that the term “traffic blackspot” could be seen as racist because black was being used a negative context.

The problem I reckon is that people like Richard Littlejohn make absurd suggestions that certain terms have been deemed as unPC, then well meaning politically correct herberts jump in and argue in support of an argument which only previously existed in the imagination of some right-wing journalist looking for a story to write.

There was a time when the term “black man/woman” was deemed offensive, after all black people aren’t actually black, and then there was a mood change and black people, quite rightly, declared that they were proud of being black, and started calling themselves “black”.

All well and good, and long may it continue so. But there’s no point wanting to change the English language and scrapping words such as blackboards, blacklist, blackspot, etc, because you don’t like the negative association with black. If you think black has such negative connotation then choose another word, don’t try to force everyone to speak differently.

How about the term “coloured” as in the The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) the United States foremost civil rights organisation for black people ?

Drac

And you don’t just say the N-word accidentally, nor do you sing a rhyme with it in accidentaly. He had plenty of lines before he got to the line that including that word where is brain could have said

Or mumble.

edlong
    Free Member

Oi! I was the offender with “blacklist” not the offendee…

Although on that point, I’m sure “black ops” would also fall foul of the same sensitivities, for the same reasons though.

MSP

If his apology had been something like-

“we were trying to be deliberately ambiguous to create some controversy, after reflection we decided it was too offensive and rather stupid and we decided not to go ahead, we know that we stepped over the line and regret even considering something so offensive to so many people, and hope that people can forgive us for such a stupid mistake”

then I think most people would accept that.

Unfortunately for him, that would undermine future attempts at self promotion through controversy, and he decided to weasel out of it another way, prioritising his supposedly carefully crafted persona rather than giving a genuine apology.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Or mumble.

**** him, that just says he’d say it out louder if he thought he was in racist company.

Drac

**** him, that just says he’d say it out louder if he thought he was in racist company.

Ah right Ok.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Errr! Cheers Ro5ey.

What don’t you understand ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

**** him,

On a thread about words causing offence, how about actually typing your chosen vulgarity in full?

Drac

On a thread about words causing offence, how about actually typing your chosen vulgarity in full?

You know he did.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Careful Mr Woppit edlong might find that offensive or even vile.

Ha! D’you know, I actually didn’t make that connection when I wrote it?

Sheezus! Does this mean I’m (gulp) unconsciously racist!!!? 😯

edlong
    Free Member

scrapping words such as blackboards, blacklist, blackspot

There is a point being spectacularly missed there about why sometimes modifying language is appropriate, and how some people don’t understand and then you get the ludicrous examples touted by the Littlejohns of this world: two of those words DO have negative connotations, the other one doesn’t.

There are plenty of people, not just Ernie’s ex-girlfriend, who would prefer a different term to “blackspot” to be used. No one has ever, to the best of my knowledge, produced a coherent argument for avoiding “blackboard” to describe a board that is black.

If you think black has such negative connotation then choose another word, don’t try to force everyone to speak differently.

That argument is so gay. You must be a right spastic to come out with it. Are you mental? I think there’s plenty of reasons to move things forward and try and modify language with offensive connotations.

There was a time when the term “black man/woman” was deemed offensive, after all black people aren’t actually black, and then there was a mood change and black people, quite rightly, declared that they were proud of being black, and started calling themselves “black”.

I think you’re missing the distinction between using the word “black” (or “gay” for another example) to describe someone as an adjective as opposed to a noun – the one describing a characteristic, the other defining the person by it. Many more people are offended by the latter than the former, unsurprisingly.

E.g. “He’s a black” as opposed to “he’s black” or “gay people” as opposed to “gays”.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It should be pretty obvious that this is only a big deal to most on here because it’s Clarkson. If it had been someone else then I’m sure the thread wouldn’t of got past a couple of pages.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You know he did.

Ah, so swearing’s allowed now?

Thank f[NOPE! Mods]

Ro5ey
    Free Member

It should be pretty obvious that this is only a big deal to most on here because

Some people fail to grasp what a horrid song it is.

One that has no place in modern Britain,

I’m not arguing because it’s Clarkson… I’m arguing because you, Drac and other fail to see this.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

uck. Oops.

Drac

Sheezus! Does this mean I’m (gulp) unconsciously racist!!!?

You need to ask the easily offended.

Drac

What is the point of that huffing post list? That Clarkson is even offensive when someone else makes a comment? Or that mentioning you get the shits in India is racial offensive or calling someone an idiot is racial offensive?

grum
    Free Member

You need to ask the easily offended.

Would you be offended if I called you a racist?

MSP

What is the point of that huffing post list?

Most of it is acceptable IMO, but the slope “joke” is over the line, a long long long way over the line. Far worse than the current controversy, which is some ways shows that they do have to adhere to some kind of editorial policy, but still shows how low that will sink to achieve notoriety.

Drac

Would you be offended if I called you a racist?

Well no as I know I’m not. As I said earlier in thread anyone who has met me will vouch for that.

Most of it is acceptable IMO, but the slope “joke” is over the line, a long long long way over the line.

Seen that episode and missed what was may have been meant with that one, never knew term in that context but yes if indeed it’s what he meant then yes that was unacceptable.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Seen that episode and missed what was may have been meant with that one, never knew term in that context but yes if indeed it’s what he meant then yes that was unacceptable.

Just to be clear, are you claiming JC is not a racist?

Drac

Just to be clear, are you claiming JC is not a racist?

No I don’t think he is. A idiot at times with his bull in a china comments but I don’t think he is a racist.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Well no as I know I’m not. As I said earlier in thread anyone who has met me will vouch for that.

You know you’re not … oh that’s alright then, just like JC.

Oh but wait a minute… anyone who has met you will vouch for you.

All these people who would vouch for you… have they read this thread?

Because guess what? Over the course of this afternoon we’ve all met you… and you sound just like a racist

Drac

All these people who would vouch for you… have they read this thread?

Yeah there’s a few on here who have.

Because guess what? Over the course of this afternoon we’ve all met you… and you sound just like a racist

What utter bullshit.

teasel
    Free Member

black = bad; white = good

Ahem…

FeeFoo
    Free Member

No I don’t think he is. A idiot at times with his bull in a china comments but I don’t think he is a racist.

But the “slope” comment was racist. He used a racist word against the person it related to.
    Surely that makes him a racist, no?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Dude

Eenie Meenie is a racist song…. JC thinks so himself

Yet

simply sang the rhyme of old he sang as a kid.

So you think that this song is acceptable

And if you do… well there you go

Drac

But the “slope” comment was racist. He used a racist word against the person it related to.
    Surely that makes him a racist, no?

On that occasion maybe but someone who is all out a Racist and despises blacks or those of an ethnic origin. No I don’t think he is.

Ok who’s going to be first?

Eenie Meenie is a racist song…. JC thinks so himslf

No he doesn’t he thinks the word **** is, there’s many version of eeny meeny.

So you think that this song is acceptable

I don’t think it should be used anymore no, you may notice I’ve never used the N word in any my posts. Similarly yes to JC who also chose not use it so mumbled although some people say they can still hear it now it’s been altered by sound experts.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Clarkson 'n-word' furore!’ is closed to new replies.