Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 512 total)
  • Clarkson 'n-word' furore!
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

What about a phrase like ‘I’ve got a mouth like Ghandi’s flip flop / an Arab’s sandal’ when parched, for example? I see that as simply a reference to a dry, dusty place, but not attaching any negativity to it. I doubt I’d ever use such a phrase these days – someone somewhere would be bound to take offence – but I struggle to see how they could logically do so.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Thats the Dambusters film banned then – perhaps they can edit in a new name for Guy Gibson’s lab.

gwaelod
    Free Member

It is extremely important to make fun of religion at every possible opportunity so its ridiculousness is constantly on display.

Don’t confuse race with religion.

Edukator
    Free Member

“White” is most definitely used as an insult in Leicester. Working as a white teacher in 100% non-white classrooms in a Leicester school it didn’t take long to work out what the racist insults directed at me were. The ones delivered in English were simply “white + insulting word/expression”.

The difference between “white” used in an insulting way and words to describe other groups in an insulting way is that courts are reluctant to class racist attacks on whites as racist:

Whatever you might think of the Daily Mail they don’t censor racist violence against whites.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member

I’ve got a mouth like Ghandi’s flip flop

Gandhi didn’t wear flip-flops. And quite frankly I’m offended by your racial stereotyping. Please use the term “Gandhi’s feet apparel” if you wish to avoid offence.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed. Everyone knows flip flops are French. Invented by Phillipe Phloppe.

teasel
    Free Member

Ha…!

*Boom tish*

I would imagine an Arabs sandal would be anything but dry…

teasel
    Free Member

Ha…!

*Boom tish*

I would imagine an Arabs sandal would be anything but dry…

Edit : Unless they’ve been left out to…uh…dry, of course and weren’t being worn. I pictured them being worn, ymmv (your mind may vary).

slowoldman

It wasn’t so long ago that blasphemy was taken very seriously

Let’s be happy that’s no longer an offence.

From the BBC website article on the Radio Devon shock horror racial debacle scandal –
    “He’s been tanning [n-word] out in Timbuktu”. (sic)

Pathetic.

Junkyard
    Free Member

black people can use the n-word without being accused of being racist

are you suggesting people can be racist against their own race ?

piemonster

I think it’s technically possible, just very unlikely.

zippykona

Have all the Flashman books been censored?

dabble
    Free Member

are you suggesting people can be racist against their own race ?

weeeeeeel, there was all that hoo ha about ashley cole calling rio ferdinand a “choc ice” meaning he was black but white on the inside, or pretty much saying “you’re not acting black enough for my liking”, so yeah, they can. But not using the n word.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are all black people the same race?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well it is definitely unlikely as you would need to hate your entire family and yourself because of your race.

Could a woman bye a misogynist a Jew be anti -Semitic

Would it not be self loathing rather than racism?

Self-hatred (also called self-loathing) refers to an extreme dislike or hatred of oneself, or being angry at or even prejudiced against oneself. The term is also used to designate a dislike or hatred of a group, family, social class, mental illness, or stereotype to which one belongs and/or has. For instance, “ethnic self-hatred” is the extreme dislike of one’s ethnic group or cultural classification. It may be associated with aspects of autophobia

No cpt they are not, what is your point?

Is choc ice a racist slur ? is it not like when the EDL called me a traitor to my race or someone says you are not a proper man because you defend homosexuals….just the words of idiots rather than an ism?

dabble
    Free Member

what if you don’t hate yourself, just everyone else?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

Well it is definitely unlikely as you would need to hate your entire family and yourself because of your race.

And yet only a week ago you were telling me that someone didn’t necessarily need to hate every member of a certain race to be classed as a racist, ie, they could like certain Asians and yet, according to you, still be racist towards Asians.

Junkyard – lazarus

Its about in and out croups what they do is take nice Mr Patel and remove him from his ethnic group and think he is more like them than like other Asians- they take them out the group and assume they are not typical of that group – hence why they can like one and still hate /dislike the group in general
    Its well documented in psychology – I can give links if you really want

They are still racist though just not to everyone in that group

Posted 1 week ago # Report-Post

Cougar

Gandhi didn’t wear flip-flops.

No, he didn’t. I know a bit about this.

Ghandi was a great, but poor, man who walked miles and miles barefoot in order to perform his duties. Clearly, this left him with feet in very bad shape, with corns and callouses all over them.

Being poor, his diet wasn’t great and so he was a very weak, frail person. Another side effect of his bad diet was that he was left cursed with infamously bad breath.

In spite of this all though, he was a great spiritual leader and said to be in tune with his supernatural side.

After a while therefore, he became known as the super-calloused fragile mystic, hexed with halitosis.

Klunk
    Free Member

there was all that hoo ha about ashley cole calling rio ferdinand a “choc ice” meaning he was black but white on the inside,

just to set the record straight it was ferdinand who tweeted cole was a “choc ice”, he was fined £45k by the fa.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And to set the record further straight, it wasn’t an insult directed at black people, it was directed at one individual black person. The only racist character of the insult was the suggestion that it is bad to be like a white person inside.

tpbiker
    Free Member

So do you think Clarkson hates all Black people and asians?

Klunk
    Free Member

going by the whites only guest policy on top gear, yes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Worst straw man ever – what on earth makes you think i have even remotely suggested this?
    I am not even discussing him and , as far as I am aware he is neither of these races.

Ernie firstly it was not according to me it is documented and well accepted psychological theory as the quote states and I can still provide references.
    In that case I cited in your quote they are not of the race they dislike and in this case they are….its almost as if they are entirely different situations and you are clutching at straws
    If you are confused then just ask and I will try and explain

thegreatape
    Free Member

ernie, flashy, et al – I do apologise for putting my foot in it, as it were. Shit, I’ve done it again. Maybe 😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If you are confused then just ask and I will try and explain

Thank you for being patronising. For me it’s as good as saying ‘you’ve got me bang to rights’.

@ thegreatape – it’s a minefield out there, careful how you tread on the politically correct eggshells, many have stumbled.

slowoldman

going by the whites only guest policy on top gear, yes.

Ooh do tell. What is the guest policy?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thank you for being patronising.

I accept I often am but it was not meant that time. I can see that it reads as such and I apologise.

For me it’s as good as saying ‘you’ve got me bang to rights’.

No arguing with logic like that, that is playground level of debate.

Edukator
    Free Member

Judge for yourselves:

Not exactly representative of the ethnic mix I observed on my last visit to the UK

The rest of the pics with a strikingly monoethnic audience

gwaelod
    Free Member

Wiki must have a list of guests for each series.. Must be fairly easy to plot them by ethnicity

thegreatape
    Free Member

The studio audience, on the other hand…

Klunk
    Free Member

210 of which 8 have been black or asian (2 of which is Hamilton twice). (a quick count from the wiki).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not exactly representative of the ethnic mix…..

Well it’s not exactly surprising that not many black people want to be guests on a show fronted by an overpaid smug closet racist, but you can’t blame the Top Gear guest policy for that.

aracer
    Free Member

Exactly what I was thinking, ernie

slowoldman

But does the ethnic mix reflect an actual “guest policy”? I doubt it. When I go wandering in the hills or when I used to climb and ski it struck me on the very few occasions I came across black or asian people just how white those pastimes were (probably still are). I’m not aware there was any guest policy in place there, it’s probably just a cultural thing.

Mind you, considering the number of young asian lads who are heavily into fancy cars perhaps I should be surprised there aren’t more in the TG audience. Maybe if it was filmed up in Salford Quays eh?

CountZero

Not exactly representative of the ethnic mix I observed on my last visit to the UK

And which part of the UK did you visit in order to establish what is a representative ethnic mix?

Solo
    Free Member

After a while therefore, he became known as the super-calloused fragile mystic, hexed with halitosis.

And after that doozey, I feel only divine intervention might save us now.

So, Oh Lord, please deliver us from and protect us against the jokes posted by the Mods.

**Don’t give up the day job**
    😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

Bit like mountainbiking then.
    BMX and road seem to be quite mixed, you get less of the glib acceptable face of middle england top gear types and their peculiar car worship.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/11/pandas-top-gear-endangered-species

hilldodger
    Free Member

…less of the glib acceptable face of middle england top gear types and their peculiar car worship.

Exactly, it’s not an ethnic divide, it’s a social divide

teasel
    Free Member

There’s a guy wearing flip flops* in that pic up there – d’ya think they’re sweaty or dry in that studio environment…

* Could be sandals, it’s hard to tell. I’d like to think flip flops, personally.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m quite impressed that my thread has gone to nearly 500 posts, but I’ve no idea what the hell you’re talking about now.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Clarkson 'n-word' furore!’ is closed to new replies.