• This topic has 2,328 replies, 145 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by natrix.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 2,329 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • Cougar

That’s going to be tricky, building and painting all those trees.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m probably one of the least experienced on this thread. I’d say be patient, don’t compare yourself to some of the guys on here (seriously good!) and be prepared to toss a few finished and part finished models out. Avoid planes with rigging and helicopters, especially small ones. That said I find it enjoyable and some of the results have been pretty good.

#edit: Reasonably good is very subjective…

matt_outandabout

That’s going to be tricky, building and painting all those trees.

Particularly when the view is blocked by some plane or other…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Aldi are doing their cheap Airfix kits again – thats how this whole thread started!

Coyote
    Free Member

Ooh! Which ones this time or same old, same old?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

think so, Spit, Hurricane, JP, 109 and 190 and Mary Rose i think it was as well.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’ve been looking to do my Airfix TR4 kit for years now. Haven’t completed any kit since was a kid. But this box sits on the shelf! Maybe it’s time.

Meanwhile, this is beautiful (and not sure if motivating or demotivating!)

Harry_the_Spider

Picked up an Aldi Hurricane as I wasn’t happy with my last one.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Tamiya Challenger 1.

Harry_the_Spider

^ like.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Nice

johndrummer
    Free Member

Here’s a handy tip. Don’t use plasticine to mark off your camouflage patterns:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

It’s a Hasegawa A-7D Corsair II in 1/48

Harry_the_Spider

Oh crap!

I’ve used Blutac without issue.

garage-dweller

Saw a guy using some kind of Blu-tack type stuff on a You Tube video earlier that seemed to work quite well. I’ve been free handing my camo (brush not air) which I think is ok on 1:72 but might look a bit underwhelming on 1:48.

I am only a relatively quick bodger compared to you lot but the ace thing is that my two boys are really enjoying it so we can do many hours on a wet day with no blooming electronics. We have a Handley Page Jetstream, FW190, MK1 Spitfire, Vampire and Jet Provost currently in build between the three of us.

If anyone has any suggestions on starter air brushes or basic air brush tutorials on YouTube etc would be interested in a link or three. 🙂 Kids seem keen to give them a go and I can see some advantages.

PJM1974
    Free Member

@johndrummer

Are you painting with oil based enamel paints by any chance?

Harry_the_Spider

I have this airbrush and compressor setup.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Switzer-Double-Action-Airbrush-Kit-Compressor-With-Tank-AS186-Paint-Nail-Tatoo/132166170957?hash=item1ec5b7b94d:g:ntEAAOSwrAFcNFBf

It works pretty well and if you knacker up the airbrush, as I did by not cleaning it properly, you can replace it for £15ish.

johndrummer
    Free Member

No, water based acrylics. I’ve got the bulk of the plasticine off now but the paint is not sticking where the plasticine was. I’m going to give it a wipe down with glasses cleaning wipes, see if that shifts the crap without damaging the plastic or the existing paint.
    Otherwise it’ll need a wipe down with either enamel thinners or white spirit. I have no idea what that’ll do to the acrylic paints already there

Blu-Tac next time. I really don’t want to ruin that lovely SAM system.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Btw , re airbrushes – I use a Neo by Iwata double action gravity feed airbrush (it’s my third…) and a budget-ish compressor. You can start with a cheap Revell airbrush kit, single-action with suction feed, and a canister of compressed air. It’s a cheap way to get started with airbrushing but those canisters soon add up to the price of a reasonable compressor.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’ve tried doing camouflage freehand – works ok on say 1/35 late war German armour,
    For example:

View post on imgur.com

(1/35 Panther)

less good on smaller scale aircraft:

View post on imgur.com

(1/72 Me262)

I’ve used Maskol masking fluid on 1/48 & 1/72 aircraft, but when you peel it off, it leaves less than perfect edges.
    I believe a paper mask gives a reasonable result but you need to get your sizes right. For example:

View post on imgur.com

(1/48 Spitfire mkI)

spursn17
    Free Member

@johndrummer that Corsair is going to take some saving, I feel your pain!
    I usually cut Tamiya tape into thin strips (so they go round corners) for the edges, then fill the middle bit with low tac painters masking tape. Tesa pink is my weapon of choice at the moment, it’s about 7 quid a roll but lasts ages and cuts well.

@garage-dweller
    look for a cheap compressor on Facebook marketplace, there’s usually a fair amount on there, then buy a couple of 15 quid airbrushes off ebay to practise with. When you start spraying thin your paint more that you think, most people have it too thick to start with and it splatters everywhere.

I’m still fighting the Albatross, I nearly put it on the floor and stamped on it tonight! I superglued the wing struts on backwards and had to cut them off, then glued them on backwards again! 😂
    I haven’t really enjoyed this one but I’m going to finish it even though its getting right on my tits now. I couldn’t be bothered to airbrush it and just brush painted it, it didn’t turn out to bad, Vallejo is great for that.

johndrummer
    Free Member

One other thing…

Tamiya fine primer is good for 1/24 car models, but I don’t recommend it for aircraft or military vehicles. It fills all the recessed panel lines!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Use Whitetac rather than blutac.

On the subject of camouflage finishes – Spitfires etc were spray painted using large rubber masks to give a standard camo pattern which would have a hard edge. Late war German tanks were delivered to theater in overall sand (or even red primer sometimes) and the crews would spray the patterns on in the field so you get a soft edge.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I think the Corsair is beyond saving 🙁
    The layers of paint are already so thick I can barely see the recessed panel lines. Unless I can strip it back to bare plastic, I don’t see how it can be saved. Looks like another trip to modelhobbies.co.uk.
    Real shame as I’d already added some aftermarket detail to the cockpit & canopy

Harry_the_Spider

Do Kingkit have a second hand one? You may be able to butcher your current one to save the interior.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’ve ordered some paint remover, I’ll try that first.
    Next up – check that the primer hasn’t filled any detail in on my big SAM system. Then a 1/35 BMD4 to finish the tracks for.
    A couple of Tamiya 1/48 tanks to finish off

Harry_the_Spider

Remember that this is a relaxing hobby to focus your mind away from the outside world.

Then put the kit on a hard surface and **** it with a cast iron pan.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’m sorely tempted…

spursn17
    Free Member

Then put the kit on a hard surface and **** it with a cast iron pan.

Sounds like a plan!

@johndrummer
    Tesco value kitchen cleaner is supposed to be good for stripping paint off, not tried it myself though.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Tesco value kitchen cleaner is supposed to be good for stripping paint off

If the paint is acrylic, a soak in soapy water might be enough to loosen the paint. Otherwise, I simply put the model I want to strip into a plastic bag or tupperware box and I’ll spray liberally with either oven cleaner or Dettol before sealing the bag/box and leaving for a few days. Dettol is very, very good at removing paint but is nasty stuff to expose your bare skin to for any length of time and will make your workshop area smell like a hospital.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

will make your workshop area smell like a hospital

A euphemism?

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Remember that this is a relaxing hobby to focus your mind away from the outside world.

My hobby is following this thread, rather than doing any modelling. Far more relaxing 😌.

Harry_the_Spider

I may have just accidentally bought a Chinook with the Bravo November scheme from The Falklands to go with my Sea Harrier and GR3.

Harry_the_Spider

An idea…

We should have a Virtual Model Show where for one day we just post a couple of pictures each of our favourite work without discussion, irrespective of whether we have shown it before.

Next Sunday?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’d really like to see that. Some amazing stuff on this thread gents.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Tesco value kitchen cleaner

What, like ‘Flash’?

I have some Morrison’s own brand Flash if that’s anything like the Tesco stuff

johndrummer
    Free Member

Although I am tempted to mount it to a cymbal stand for next band practice
    🥁🥁🥁

johndrummer
    Free Member

Did I ever mention this fella?

View post on imgur.com

garage-dweller

An idea…

We should have a Virtual Model Show where for one day we just post a couple of pictures each of our favourite work without discussion, irrespective of whether we have shown it before.

Next Sunday?

Brilliant idea. I need another wet day or two to finish the very amatuer quality Spitfire. Did you mean 22nd?

Still eyeing up airbrushes and gathering tips to finish it nicely.

garage-dweller

@johndrummer I think you posted that a while back (I’ve noticed as I’ve been trying to catch up on the whole thread from beginning to end and trying to understand words like pre-shading) but it’s no less impressive second time round. 👍

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’m glad they’re not real, that’s all I can say

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 2,329 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.