• This topic has 2,328 replies, 145 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by natrix.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 2,329 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • spursn17
    Free Member

Undercarriage fairings on the wrong legs?

No, looks like I got away with it!

It’s s the decal on the L/H side, the ’16’. It looked great after a matt clear coat of Alclad II and I was really happy with it. I like to finish off with a dusting of ground pastels to blend everything together, but for some reason it made the decal carrier film show up, just on that one though. It was invisible after the clear coat, I should’ve stopped there! 😭

Harry_the_Spider
    johndrummer
    Free Member

I can’t see anything dodgy on that 109, it’s very nice.

I’m waiting on some paints – a) modern Russian armour and b) USAF Vietnam era aircraft.
    Given up on the T-34/85.
    Russian SAM vehicle next up, plus a Hasegawa A-7D Corsair II to paint in 1/48 When the ‘nam paints arrive

Kuco

Harry the Spider I remember the cartoon but had to google what it was called though.

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman

IIRC the little one spoke a bit funny.

spursn17
    Free Member

Hasegawa A-7D Corsair II to paint in 1/48 When the ‘nam paints arrive

Nice, I’ve got a 1/48 F105 to do in SEA scheme. I keep putting it off though as its bloody enormous, especially next to the WWI Albatross I’ve just restarted!

I’m after an F4E to do in Israeli colours if anyone sees one?

johndrummer
    Free Member

I think Model Hobbies have an Italeri F4E in 1/48

Yeah, here you go : https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/italeri-148-f-4e-phantom-ii–2770-88919-p.asp

Decals should be available aftermarket: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/skys-decals-48-007-israeli-f-4-phantoms–1109341#

johndrummer
    Free Member

Next one up: Meng 1/35 Russian 9K37M1 BUK mobile SAM system. No interior so it should be quicker than the T-54 I did earlier…

1) working Torsion Bar suspension:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

2) it’s big. About 30% longer than a T-34/85:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

More to follow…

johndrummer
    Free Member

BTW this is just the lower hull. Missile carrier/launcher sits on top of this in the same way that a turret would on a regular tank

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

The rear end:

View post on imgur.com

Top view:

View post on imgur.com

Front end:

View post on imgur.com

I haven’t put the crew visor asssmbles in yet, will do those after the paint job

Next up – the tracks !
    4x sprues of 56 links, plus pins to make working tracks

View post on imgur.com

spursn17
    Free Member

@johndrummer that mobile Sam system looks a beast, do you keep all of your completed kits or just the best ones, I’m running out of space.
    I’m not going to pull the trigger on that Italeri F-4E, I’m going to hang on for the Zoukei Mura one that’s due out soon. The price is a killer though!

While I’m waiting for the Phantom I’ve resurrected a kit I started in 1995, the Eduard 1/48 Albatross DV. Its an absolute dog of a kit, the difference between this and their 109 I’ve just done is light years apart! I’m determined to finish it despite hating it, I’ll fight it to the end. It didn’t help that I decided to anneal the etched set in it with a blowtorch as I thought it would be quick, it certainly destroyed most of it quick and I had to buy another set (a different one though). The story so far…

johndrummer
    Free Member

I do keep them all, unless really poor (eg my 1/72 Airfix 190A). They do end up boxed up & in the shed after a while. That might not be happening to the later beasts though. Thing about tanks, even in 1/35, they do fit nicely in a shoebox, for the most part. I suspect the SAM thing will need a bigger box. E.g. a DrMartens box

That Albatross does look like it’ll make a fine model, even if you do have to wrestle it a bit. I’m not keen on anything with rigging so biplanes, WWI monoplanes & sailing ships are off my radar for now

The SAM system is actually coming together quite quickly, I think I’ve got the lower hull done in 3 nights. Thankfully no interior…
    Until I start on the tracks

spursn17
    Free Member

I’m not keen on anything with rigging so biplanes, WWI monoplanes & sailing ships are off my radar for now

I’m not a fan of those kits you listed but I’m going through a bit of a masochistic phase at the moment, I bought the 1/48 Airfix Walrus last week!

johndrummer
    Free Member

Some more WIP photos of my 1/35 SAM system:

Working suspension:

View post on imgur.com

Part finished track:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Individual links, held together with pins on one side & glue free. Mostly. Some didn’t hold on their own so had to be glued. A pain to build but very nice

Little jig to help build the tracks:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

4 sprues of track links & joiner pins:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Yes, I know I haven’t plumbed the hoses in, and I haven’t finished the tracks or the crew compartment visors…

Harry_the_Spider

Found a good mossy log for my 1/76 Panzer.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Nice. I can’t work at that scale, almost

Harry_the_Spider

Cheap one from my LMS so that I could try Blutac Worm Technique.

Done and dusted in about 2 hours.

It normally hides in the kitchen until my wife finds it. Then I have to re-hide it.

Harry_the_Spider

Going to keep the log and put a Typhoon flying over it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well here’s another one. Airfix Whitley GR MkVII 1/72. Mostly went together very nicely – the exception being the bomb bay doors which are a rotten fit if you leave them closed and have no method of location at all if you want them open – hence a slightly bodgy 1/2 and 1/2 approach. Still haven’t got dipping transparencies sorted, not helped by getting overspray inside the turrets. <<sigh>>. Still – it looks OK from a normal distance.
    [/url][/url]
    [/url]
    [/url]
    [/url]
    [/url]
    [/url]

@countzero
    – thanks for the praise (we are not worthy etc). That’s mostly Airfix to blame for the Wellington interior and the moulding of the geodesic framework in the wings, with some help from Flory washes and some luck! (and a decent camera and a copy of Lightroom)

johndrummer
    Free Member

That is very nice JonEdwards

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’m on tracks at the moment. Wish me luck

Harry_the_Spider

That is very good!

Such an odd looking plane.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Tracks finished 🙂
    Primer next

ChrisL

Once again my contribution to this thread is not a proper scale model, but a converted tank for a game of plastic toy soldiers. Specifically this is Gerti, an Imperial Guard armoured recovery vehicle that I converted from Warhammer 40,000 Chimera APC and Galvanic Servouhauler kits:

Gerti the ARV

I have a Flickr album containing more photos, including WIP shots.

I think that I am less bothered about getting everything “right” when I paint gaming stuff than when it was taking me months to finish even the smallest scale model. It’s nice to actually be finishing things!

Harry_the_Spider

Progress.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m doing the Revel version but brush painting. Having trouble with the decals though. Soaked in DecalFix and brushed the paintwork first but on the engines they have bits round the edge that don’t stick and form ridges. Tips please!

johndrummer
    Free Member

Did you give it a coat of gloss before doing the decals?
    That’s the only other thing I can think of

Harry_the_Spider

Yep. Gloss and and perhaps an application of diluted PVA.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Hmm. Sometimes you have to be very careful with a very sharp blade

Coyote
    Free Member

No gloss, it’s a matt finish. Is there some clear varnish I should be using?

PJM1974
    Free Member

No gloss, it’s a matt finish. Is there some clear varnish I should be using?

Yes. The gloss coat gives the decals something to purchase onto that’ll prevent air bubbles from causing the silvering that you often get by applying decals onto a matt surface. I swear by ordinary Pledge floor polish, followed by a second coat of pledge to seal the decals in. After that you apply a matt varnish to get the finish that you’re after.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I use either Tamiya or Revell gloss clear acrylics as a base for decals & pin washes, then another coat on top, followed by a Matt or satin coat if it’s a military vehicle/aircraft/boat.

I’ve started using Ammo by MIG and Vallejo acrylics too. No gloss or Matt varnish from them yet.

Tamiya thinners tend to work with everything except Humbrol, for which you need their own brand. So I try to avoid

Harry_the_Spider

I use Alclad. It works for me.

Harry_the_Spider

Whilst on this subject… Does anyone use Pledge with an airbrush? If so, how do you clean the airbrush afterwards?

johndrummer
    Free Member

No, but if I did I’d first soak it in warm water , then clean it as normal with airbrush cleaner

PJM1974
    Free Member

Whilst on this subject… Does anyone use Pledge with an airbrush? If so, how do you clean the airbrush afterwards?

Yes. I usually thin with either Tamiya thinner or water, as Pledge will puddle and dry quickly. Afterwards, I disassemble my airbrush and soak in soapy water before reassembling and blasting it through with a tiny amount of Humbrol cellulose thinner.

ChrisL

If Pledge is approximately the same stuff as the Johnson’s Klear or Future everyone swore by a few years ago then ammonia is your full-on option for cleaning it up. Preferably in a form other than neat ammonia, unless you have a lot of filtering and ventilation on the go.

matt_outandabout

In an attempt to do something different during dark evenings, I’ve a kit on the way.

I’ve helped my kids do a few, I’ve done a few as a kid. We’ve got knife, paintbrushes, glue, some random spare colours from Warhammer and airfix kits…

However, top tips and sources of any extra items I need, without investing lots of money on case I’m a dufus at this.

Harry_the_Spider

Filler, sanding sticks, a tin of primer and reading glasses!

What kit did you get?

I’ve got in to the habit of reading books and making associated kits.

Tempest V and The Big Show
    Lancaster BIII Special and Dambusters/Enemy Coast Ahead
    Martin Maryland/Macchi 205/Spitfire Vb Trop’ and Fortress Malt/Warbutron’s War
    Sea Harrier / GR3 and Hostile Skies

However I read faster than I build so my book about the Falklands is accompanied by a WWII Martin Maryland.

And an A10. And a Victor K2. And an SU35.

Cougar

Playing catchup, sorry.

Harry the Spider I remember the cartoon but had to google what it was called though.

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman

It was Battle of the Planets in the UK (and US). And that model is awesome.

The original Gatchaman had some pretty dark themes. The reason BotP was bookended with those awful 7-Zark-7 segments in a clearly different (and terrible) animation style obvious even to 8-year old me was to backfill all the bits they had to crop out to make it child-friendly. Notably in the original story Jason had a brain tumour, in our sanitised version it closed with an ‘and then he had a nice cup of tea and a sit down and it was all OK’ sort of handwave.

Harry_the_Spider

However, top tips and sources of any extra items I need, without investing lots of money on case I’m a dufus at this.

And some Microsol decal setting solution.

matt_outandabout

What kit did you get?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 2,329 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.