Home Forums Chat Forum Children’s Glasses

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Children’s Glasses
  • zomg

My 7 year old has just been for an eye examination and it turns out she needs glasses for “concentration work” (+1 sph, -.5 cyl in both eyes). I’m surprised as both my eyes are pretty shortsighted, and her mother’s slightly less so; but hopefully this might be a piece of a puzzle in some of the learning challenges she’s been battling in the last couple of years. She’s been able to pass vision screening checks but it now seems she’s been straining to do so and finds it easier to, as she puts it, “zone out” in the classroom much of the time.

Anyway… She tried on some frames afterwards but couldn’t see much due to the eye drops used during the eye exam, so I promised we’d go back later to do some more. I know little about it, but while she wears an adult small cycling helmet her facial features seemed quite small with the glasses sitting against her cheekbones rather than on her nose. Clearly my own route of getting Oakley Holbrook sunglasses reglazed isn’t going to cut it here.

As the Singletrack community is a broad font of pretty much all knowledge I thought I’d ask here. Any tips on kids’ glasses?

jkomo

Ask to see the dispensing optician, they will guide you.
    A five cyl is way more than for concentrating, it’s for all the time.
    If you can afford say yes to the anti reflective coating, and ask how much more the 1.6 index is and get that if it’s not a lot.
    I’m a dispensing optician.

jkomo

PM me any other questions.

zomg

Sorry. I should have put -0.5; I omitted the zero.

goldfish24

Haha, stealth edit, I just read the OP after editing and was about to tell jkomo he should have gone to spec savers.

igm

Our eldest has had glasses for concentrating since he was about that age.
    He didn’t wear them for cycling or skiing so basic glasses were fine.
    Accepting basic frames meant the glasses were essentially free, which was useful with the number of pairs he broke (and one he lost).

He’s now a late teenager and has nicer glasses, but doesn’t trash them these days.

jkomo

Ah makes sense, I’d go for anti reflective, better for eye contact and screen use. Otherwise just get something that fits the bridge well looks nice and she likes.

slowoldman

I was the same at 7 years old though I required a stronger prescription. Half a century later it got to around -10 where it remains. So I have fancy pants high refractive index varifocal lenses which cost an arm and a leg.

Your daughter’s  prescription is very mild so nothing special required. Agree with adding AR coating though, on any lens. Go for whatever is deemed fashionable by 7 year olds at the moment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.