Home Forums Bike Forum Cheap tools are a false economy: episode 547,684

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Cheap tools are a false economy: episode 547,684
  • coconut
    Free Member

hacksaw, then neaten up with a file (covering & taping the stanchions and seals well, don’t want metal filings getting into the dust seals), Agree with comment earlier:

(not that it matters for a steerer tube)

Once you put a few spacers on you can compensate for a badly cut steerer.

batfink
    Free Member

Personally, I find working with higher quality tools more satisfying.  I’m prepared to accept that maybe I’m wierd – but having tried my hand at most things…. Using good quality tools just makes building/fixing/assembling stuff much more enjoyable.

if I’m planning a job and need a new tool – I might buy a cheapo version of it if I’m only going to use it once or twice, but I only need a paper-thin justification to buy a decent (usually German) version.

Justifying buying a decent quality tool, is kind of motivation for doing the job myself.

jamesoz

So… Save some time and cut them with a hacksaw?

which is why you will very rarely see anybody who cuts tube/pipe  of varying materials for a living use a hacksaw.
    They use a pipe cutter.

Northwind

Sure, but why is that relevant? If you cut handlebars for a living it might be, but if I cut handlebars for a living I’d be doing it with a machine not a hand tool.

(also, my brother partly cuts tubes for a living, mostly he uses a chop saw, sometimes he uses his powered hacksaw, sometimes he uses a hacksaw, sometimes he uses a holesaw…)

squirrelking
    Free Member

which is why you will very rarely see anybody who cuts tube/pipe of varying materials for a living use a hacksaw.

They use a pipe cutter. the correct pipe cutter for the given application.

FTFY

tjagain

You do not get mushrooming oroutside burrs with a pipe cutter used properly.   You get a nice stright cut with no burrs.  Some of you seem unable to use one ??

joshvegas
    Free Member

Some of us don’t need to use one because we use the correct tool in the first place…

sirromj

2024-09-04-19-16-22-388

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think we would all be impressed if you cut your bars with that Sirromj!

trail_rat
    Free Member

using a copper pipe cutter to cut neither copper nor pipe and still are adamant  it’s the right tool.

Do you use an adjustable hammer for a spanner as well ?

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

You’re all wrong. The correct tool for cutting bars and steerers is an angle grinder with a plasma disc in.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Do you use an adjustable hammer for a spanner as well ?

That would be ridiculous. Now an 8072, thats a spanner, hammer, valve key, rag cutter, drum key, eye bolt key, de-icer or whatever else your imagination could furnish. Bet you could use one as a crank in a pinch.

desperatebicycle

I cut a steerer only yesterday. I used a cutting guide tool and a hacksaw and it came out perfect and level. Took about 2 mins (one of those trying to see the mark for length I’d made on the steerer in my not too well lit garage). Have tried a pipe cutter in the past and it’s nowhere near as good.

I do have some very cheap tools from Lidl that I use nearly every time I work on bikes. They are superb. A set of picks. 99p IIRC.

zerocool

@tjagain – seeing as some people on this forum can’t even use a Allen key properly are you in the least bit surprised?

jamesoz

Copper pipe cutter? Who said anything about copper?

Mine is used on Aluminium and Schedule 40 Stainless. It leaves a nice finish.

You can trim the end of your round pipe shaped things however you wish. I prefer my cutter to my hacksaw.

joshvegas
    Free Member

So you DO agree the cutter in the OP isthe wrong tool for the job?

multi21
    Free Member

tjagain

You do not get mushrooming oroutside burrs with a pipe cutter used properly.   You get a nice stright cut with no burrs.  Some of you seem unable to use one ??

Meh, mine always ends up with a little burr left, it’s tiny but enough to catch on some of my tighter stems/top caps.

Technique wise,  I usually spin it round 3 or 4 times, then 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn more on the tightener. Repeat.

Handily the tool has a little deburr blade thingy in the handle so it’s a non-issue.

jamesoz

joshvegasFree Member
    So you DO agree the cutter in the OP isthe wrong tool for the job?

The OP said cheap pipe cutter.

If you want to be a smart arse, yes it was the wrong tool because it fell apart, being cheap.

sirromj

You know the grips hide any imperfections in the cut right?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.