Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 691 total)
  • Cheap 3d printer kits – Experiences?
  • Northwind

I’ve found pritt stick tends to be blobby but elmers glue goes on much smoother. Not to perfection but miles better than pritt stick.

Or, put it another way, the bed face ends up looking much nicer than the other faces 😉

stumpy01

I’ve found pritt stick tends to be blobby but elmers glue goes on much smoother. Not to perfection but miles better than pritt stick.

Ah. I did not realise that!
    And do you put it on with a cold bed, or let the bed get to temperature?
    Normally with pritt stick, I do it with a heated bed & the glue almost melts as it slides over the glass. I find that gives me the best adhesion, but isn’t very pretty.

Northwind

I do it from cold- seems to give the most regular coverage whereas as you say on a hot bed the glue melts and goes smeary. the main trick is just to get it right first time, you can’t really reapply or touch up. (oh, also for cleaning off, there is nothing better than an old tesco cotton sock, wet, it’s the perfect combination of rough and absorbent)

I guess I should say, this is all proper DIY level stuff whereas you’re obviously a higher end user than I am… But then sometimes DIY stuff does work. In this case I think it might be “good enough”

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I piece of glass from a cheap clip frame and then Sainsbury Super Hold Cheap Slag* hairspray.

Worked first time for everything I have printed except for the flexi. I have had the occasional lift when printing tall thin things where the leverage effect is greater but other than that it is fine.

Spray on when the bed is hot or cold, it will dry by the time the bed heats anyway.

Pieces normally lift off okay but it is water soluble so at the worse case, stick the glass bed in the sink of warm water for a few seconds.

*Not sure if that is the official name for the hairspray but just get the cheapest sticky one you can find.

stumpy01

I guess I should say, this is all proper DIY level stuff whereas you’re obviously a higher end user than I am…

Erm, no. I’m really not! Just tinkering about with it, really.

I piece of glass from a cheap clip frame and then Sainsbury Super Hold Cheap Slag* hairspray

We tried hairspray on the work machine, but it wasn’t water soluble so took some real effort to remove. I’ve not tried again as it wasn’t obvious to me which were water based and which weren’t.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sainsbury Cheap Slag hairspray comes off with warm water and hand soap. A bit like her and her clients I guess

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>stumpy01
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Erm, no. I’m really not! Just tinkering about with it, really.

You talk a good fight at least 🙂

</div>

stumpy01

You talk a good fight at least 🙂

Ha ha! Its hard to know where you sit in relation to others, really. Not that it matters.

I’m a mech design engineer; we use an Ultimker at work although I struggle to find time to really fiddle about with it.

Likewise at home, I don’t really have the time to properly fiddle about and get the printer set-up just so. It prints well, but I wouldn’t say it’s optimised.

When I do have time I am either designing stuff (Fusion360) or getting things printed. That’s one of the reasons I am yet to stray from PLA – I just don’t have the time to fiddle about getting it set-up and if it causes issues I won’t have the time to resolve it.

I keep thinking I could do with spending a whole day shut in a room with the printer and a laptop running test after test and trying different things….God knows when I’ll have the chance to do that! Ha ha….

AlexSimon

I had absolutely no luck with Pritt. So many people told me it was exactly like Elmer’s that I didn’t bother trying that for ages. So glad I did. Takes all the guesswork out of it. I wouldn’t have completed my CNC without it – warping was driving me mad!

I put mine on with a hot bed, just before the print starts.

Never really had a problem removing parts, but once I used a little water to help get the tool under one edge.

I don’t really like tinkering with the machines. 3D printing isn’t the hobby for me – it’s creating/prototyping/designing things. I want the machine to ‘just work’, or as close as I can get for my budget.

BTW – Another vote for PLA being actually pretty strong. I think it gets a bit of a bad rap personally.

stumpy01

I don’t really like tinkering with the machines. 3D printing isn’t the hobby for me – it’s creating/prototyping/designing things. I want the machine to ‘just work’, or as close as I can get for my budget.

I suppose it’s a compromise. I think there is a balance to be struck between spending hours & hours tweaking, changing, modding, ‘upgrading’ etc. and spending a bit of time to make sure your settings are optimised for whatever it is you are printing.
    Even small changes in settings (retraction etc.) can have a large effect on print quality.

The bloke I work with who pretty much has taken ownership of our Ultimaker bought himself an Ender 2 a while back. It had barely been used before he was taking it to bits, upgrading stepper drivers, tying it up to Octoprint etc. He even paid something like £120 for Simplify3D because he thought that the crap prints he was getting were down to Cura, rather than the fact he just needed to spend a bit of time tweaking the settings.

Might have to try some of this Elmer’s stuff after all….

zilog6128

i3 kit set for delivery next week 😎 Just installed & starting playing around with Fusion 360. Anyone use/rate that Space Mouse thingy for designing?

Milkie
    Free Member

I have a Wanhao Duplicator 5S Mini and it does just work with no setting up required between prints. I haven’t leveled the bed in 6 months, if not longer. I just turn it on, dust off the bed and start printing. I’m also sure I could get a lot better prints, if I could be bothered to spend hours and hours adjusting settings, but its good enough for prototypes/models/jigs.

I have Simplify3D too, I bought it a few years ago when most of the other slicers were pretty rubbish. It seems a lot of the other slicers offer similar features to Simplify3D now.

Space Mouse looks interesting but expensive.

stumpy01

Anyone use/rate that Space Mouse thingy for designing?

Do you mean one of those 3DConnexion navigator things?

We use them at work – some people get on with them really well & other people don’t. I don’t.
    It’s not that I don’t like it, I just don’t find it any better than using the mouse, whereas one of my colleagues uses his all the time.

IMO, not worth the price for a hobby-ist user, but if you can afford it, then why not…..?

i3 kit set for delivery next week

Prusa? A bloke at work has just bought a mk3 Prusa & really rates it. Took him longer to build than he thought it would, but I don’t think he had any specific issues.
    He bought in a few sample bits & they did look very good.

zilog6128

Yes Prusa mk3. Kit is a fair whack cheaper than the built version plus I thought I might learn something while doing it!

Yeah looking at the 3DConnexion device. Don’t have a middle button on my Apple Magic Mouse (although apparently one is addable via some software jiggery-pokery) which I think might get real old real fast!

AlexSimon

How’s the mk3 build going?

zilog6128

Great! Built it over a couple of (long 😃) nights. Enjoyed the build, really impressed with how professional the kit is, everything went together very well & the instructions/support is excellent. Printed a few calibration objects but nothing needed adjusting, it was all perfect out of the box! The default settings for their slicer work great with the PLA supplied in the kit so haven’t had the need to tweak anything yet, just been rattling out bits & bobs off of Thingiverse all weekend.

The removable build plate is excellent, as long as I degrease it properly with IPA I’ve not had any problems with adhesion (not needed anything else like glue sticks etc) and because it’s flexible not had any problems popping objects off of it when they’re done either. It really has been plug & play which is great as I didn’t want to have to sod about trying to get the thing to work properly!!

Overall it’s actually exceeded my expectations with how good it is & how much potential it has. I ordered some PETG with the kit but haven’t actually gotten around to trying it yet – and might not for a while as I’ve been really impressed with the supplied PLA (seems strong & not actually managed to snap anything yet!). Going to be ordering a load more PLA today in different colours, etc so I can do some more interesting prints (multicolour etc)!

AlexSimon

Good stuff!
    Not surprised you don’t need glue sticks with their base. My PIE plate is great too with PLA. In fact just very clean glass was excellent too, but when I was trying to print PETG in a cold shed last winter, I had problems with warping. Thankfully Elmer’s glue fixed that. I’ve also now got a semi-enclosed home for it, which helps with PETG.
    PLA really is a doddle though. So thankful for it. Haven’t had a failure in aaaages (he says while getting a print going and touching some wood).

papamountain
    Free Member

couple of recent pics..

Love a good first layer

Wine bottle holder

It sits on a base not in shot.

I just use a mirror, no glue/hairspray etc. Pops off itself when it cools down.

turboferret

I requested a Creality for Christmas, arrived a couple of days ago, I’ve got a couple of weeks to wait before I can start playing with it though 🙂

zilog6128

Getting to grips slowly with F360 and printing out all manner of stuff off Thingiverse in the meantime. Quickly bored of figurines but love the toys/gadgets that do something especially the ones that print-in-place (i.e. fully working joints, hinges etc and require no assembly). There’s a great one called “Print in place Iris Box” which is a real marvel of design skill. It will definitely test how well you’ve got your printer dialled in though – mine worked but is a bit rough.

Also got some more colours of filament now so have been experimenting with manually changing the colour during the print. Amazing how just one extra colour makes the prints so much more striking.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Just had my RPi & camera delivered so mission tonight is to finish printing the articulated arm for the camera and set up Octoprint!

Northwind

Those are really nice prints

OK so, guilty admission, I got totally fed up with my Anet delta- it basically never picked up an enthusiast community so there’s no aftermarket support for it and it kept doing annoying things. So I’ve put it in a box, and I bought an Ender 2. spoiler alert- it’s really good, but has a small bed, if you want to experiment with 3d printing it is a superb choice, more later.

Anyway, the thing that really blows me away isn’t the printer itself- though it’s amazing, for the money- but how it all highlights the progress in such a short time. My Tarantula was a full kit, and was essentially the first really affordable metal framed prusa clone at a time when if you wanted to go under £300 it basically meant all acrylic frames and pretty shitty parts. And it was a full kit, from nuts and bolts up, and basically you needed to be a decent toolsist and solve some problems to get it to work. And to get good usability and good prints almost totally required you to customise and adapt. But for its time it was a breakthrough, and I’d say the first DIY printer that I’d really have been able to deal with and get good results from.

I got it to the point that it was printing high quality prints, but had become a bit of a race car, it’d work brilliantly for a day then need a load of setting up etc and I couldn’t be arsed. And basically my mechanical and printing goals outran my programming skill and the machine couldn’t really be the reliable workhorse I wanted while also producing the quality of prints I wanted.

So, I got the Anet A4, one of the early cheap-good Deltas,to be basically a simple production machine. And it was obviously a generation or two ahead- large preassembled parts, all of the wiring etc was premade, the build was an evening’s work. And it wasn’t like the Tevo where the build had to be followed with days of testing and calibrtion and snagging, I got my first usable print out of it that evening. It was from the generation of printers that were still enthusiast items, but didn’t need that combination of technical and mechanical and programming skill to make it viable.

But, tbf I just didn’t print much for a while, I ran out of enthusiasm. Then I got a sale offer for the ender 2 for IIRC £105 from a uk supplier. Yes please. And it’s yet another massively different generation- they call it a kit but it came in about 7 or 8 significant parts, every working component like an extruder or bed carriage was fully preassembled-it’s realyl not far from an Ikea wardrobe. And setup? I levelled the bed and printed a reasonably detailed PLA part, first time. It lacks a part cooler, fine, printed one out- a bit more challenging in ABS but still basically easy. It’s not far away from building a bike out of a box.

It’s the first time I’ve felt like you could buy an affordable one of these for a mate that was curious, without worrying about it. Or that someone who’s a good designer but not that practical could reasonably expect to get good results. It’s not quite domestic level, it’s still enthusiast stuff but what progress… Ace.

Oh aye, a review. It’s really good. The single tower design seems to be no disadvantage for small parts, the heated bed is just a little underpowered and struggles to get to 100 edgrees in a cold room but that’s no biggy, the hotend performs well, the extruder is pretty much perfect, and it’s all pretty solid and very well thought out. I am just massively impressed. If you’re printer curious I can’t see much argument for anything else unless you need the volume.

Aside; I also got a cheap chinese flexible bed kit, which unfortunately couldn’t deal with ABS temps and died, but was totally brilliant for PLA. Worth considering for anyone that only prints pla, I think I’ll try and find an ABS and PETG-safe one.

AlexSimon

Sounds good Northwind. I had a few teething troubles with my CR-10 which needed a new fan and heater cartridge, but apart from that it’s been very very reliable. I sometimes don’t even watch the first layer. I haven’t levelled the bed in about 10 prints either!

Having it so obedient definitely makes it a different kind of tool. It’s no longer exciting to see parts printed, but it is exciting to get things made with the parts!

I really hope my CNC is going to end up being as reliable. Still some soldering and calibration to do on that before I can cut wood.

stumpy01

papamountain – some clean looking prints there. I keep meaning to get round to printing a fang and swapping out the stock part cooling fan for a bigger one.

zilog6128 – the multi material looks good. Again, it is something on my to do list, but not found time to try it yet.
    I find F360 works well, with just the odd frustration. I find the body/component style of assembly design quite hard to get my head around, as the other 3d cad systems I am more familiar with use different methodology.

Northwind – the printers seem to be really coming on in leaps and bounds! A colleague of mine who bought a CR10-S is already looking at buying a second printer and going for the Pro version.

AlexSimon, I’m looking forward to seeing some videos of the CNC in action!

I’ve still got loads of things on the go, but finding time to do it is proving tricky.
    Currently doing some motoX style hand guards for my daughter’s balance bike, as she has bashed her hands a few times and I figured they might also keep the cold winter air at bay. She wants them in purple, so I need to buy some new filament.

Also doing some replacement baffles for the ports on my speakers. They had an acoustic foam over them that over time has degraded and basically fallen apart.
    I have made a honeycomb mesh baffle and did a trial fitting this evening. They look good, but could perhaps benefit from a small tweak here and there.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I thinking of getting myself a “cheap” 3D printer.

The Ender 3 seems to get some good write ups.

Ender 3 £190 on Amazon

Is it worth going for the slightly higher spec one?

Ender 3 with bigger PSU

Also, can I use RHINO to produce models? I have access to it through work. I take it that after creating a design you need to put it into “slicer” software?

stumpy01

gobuchul…..

From what I have seen, the Ender 3 is now the ‘go to’ budget machine. Have a hunt around on Youtube & you will find plenty of information.

I bought my printer (a CR10-Mini) from Gearbest.
    The delivery times can be a bit extended (up to a month) but mine only took 6 days.

They currently have the standard Ender 3 for £145 – if it is just something you are dipping your toes into, that is a pretty unbelievable price. There is a bit of assembly to do, but nothing too major.

I am not sure about the upgraded PSU thing. I suspect for printing PLA, the standard PSU will be fine. It might take a bit longer to heat-up, but generally by the time I have loaded filament & auto homed the bed, the nozzle & bed temperature are established.

I am not familiar with Rhino. I use Fusio360 to create models. Fusion360 is free for hobbyists…
    There are plenty of free models avaible to download on websites like Thingiverse & myminifactory. I have only used Thingiverse.

And yes, you will need some slicing software. Simplify3D is a paid for version that a lot of people swear you need to get good results. But, you really don’t.

Cura is free to download from Ultimaker & works well.
    Ideamaker is also free & I found it easier to get started with – the setting interface made more sense to me, than Cura – although I think Cura gives better results so have switched back to it now I have more experience.

zilog6128

Unless you are already an expert with Rhino I’d just install/learn F360 at home. As above, it’s free for hobby use, because of that there is a HUGE amount of info/help/youtube videos etc.

Another free option for slicing is Slic3r. Has it’s quirks but I’ve been getting good results from it. They all have their pros & cons I think.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Thanks for the info gents.

Think I will go ahead with the Ender 3. Mrs can get me it for Christmas.

Where do you get your filament? Is it worth paying a bit more for it or should I just get the cheap stuff off Ebay?

zilog6128

Not used any budget filament – decided the potential wasted material (& more importantly time!) is just not worth saving just a few £/k. YMMV.

Been using 3dfilaprint’s premium PLA which I’ve been very happy with. You get free next day delivery if you order 2+ & for every full spool you order they will send you a few metres of another colour so you can check it out. They also do lucky-dip sample boxes for a few quid, just received one today which contains small amounts of wood, copper & various sparkly PLAs!

Not been doing this long enough to recommend any other brands or suppliers!

stumpy01

I’ve only used PLA and fairly cheap stuff at that.

Hobbyking own brand PLA is good and if you buy a few reels at a time it is free delivery. I think the last time I bought some it worked out at about £11.50 a reel.

3DQF also do good filament and it’s manufactured in the UK. They charge about £15 a reel delivered.

I’ve got some Technology Outlet Silver which looks good, but haven’t printed with it yet.
    And I’ve just bought some Ziro translucent purple from Amazon, but again I haven’t tried it.

A bloke at work uses Surreal PLA from Amazon and that prints well.

It’s probably worth staying away from filaments like wood, glow-in-the-dark and metallic filled stuff until you gain experience.

Milkie
    Free Member

I’ve used very cheap filament and it can be a headache trying to nail down your settings, you end up chasing settings and using more filament and even more time.

I use ColorFabb as its really consistent, I haven’t had to change settings for different colours/weather/etc. I would go on someones recommendation, as above, if you want a cheaper filament.

AlexSimon

I use Filamentive recycled PLA and it’s great, but only when they have 40% off the price!

Otherwise, I’ve used all sorts of cheap stuff and it’s all worked.
    The original stuff that comes with the creality was like butter (in a good way), but it’s not very easy to see details in the white as it’s quite translucent. I think that’s cctree brand.

Others I’ve tried. Anet on offer from Gearbest (great). BQ on Amazon (fine). Hobbyking (great). Das Filament (great). Matteforge (layer adhesion problems).

I’m fussy about my black, white and grey colours. Das Filament white is good. I’d like my blacks to be matterer, but I haven’t found one yet as I’ve had problems with Matteforge (still experimenting).

dirkpitt74

Anyone have any experience with the resin type printers?
    Bloke at work had one delivered today from Amazon – looks pretty good.
    Only other time I ever saw one was when I had a tour of the Renault F1 factory about 14 years ago and they were prototyping oil tanks – really cool to watch it emerging from the resin.
    I’m guessing the hobby ones are a fair bit slower on the prints though.

zilog6128

Nope, there has been a lot of chat online about the Anycubic Photon though (assume it’s that one) since Amazon dropped the price to £399!

dirkpitt74

Yeah think that’s the one he’s picked up.

gobuchul
    Free Member

OK. So an Ender 3 ordered and some Hobbyworld filament ordered.

I’ll see if I can get it to work and actually print something!

AlexSimon

Anyone have any experience with the resin type printers?

Messy, toxic and expensive consumables. But great fine details.
    Not really for functional printing – more if you need fine details and smooth finish for figures/chess pieces/etc.

stumpy01

Tried a couple of test prints today with the Ziro translucent purple.

It seems to print easily and is a nice colour.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well built my Ender 3 this morning, didn’t get the bed levelled before I had to break off to cook dinner.

Now had a couple of glasses of wine, so I will finish tomorrow.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well I got it working.

stumpy01

and….?! Where are the pics?

What was your first print? A benchy?

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 691 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 3d printer kits – Experiences?’ is closed to new replies.