Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 691 total)
  • Cheap 3d printer kits – Experiences?
  • mrpeaski
    Free Member

@swanny853

if you get stuck with your ender go here

https://reddit.com/r/ender3/new/

Fantastic community and you’ll get a lot of useful advice

swanny853

Cheers- got a lot of reading up to do. I have some experience using ‘industrial grade’ printers at work, including a metal sintering machine, so it’s really interesting to see where they hold your hand compared to the hobbyist models.

So far, I really miss soluble support that ‘just happens’!

AlexSimon

Ender 3 is £126 on Gearbest today with 11:11 sales.
    (note that in China 11:11 is 4 times bigger than Black Friday and Cyber Monday so worth looking at all the main chinese sites for sales today)

https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_1845899.html?wid=1349303

stumpy01

AlexSimon Subscriber

Ender 3 is £126 on Gearbest today with 11:11 sales.

Gah! Very tempting!
    I want a second printer for trying out new settings & experimenting with different materials. That would be ideal. No space for it though & not enough time really for tinkering.

Northwind

The Artillery Sidewinder’s getting some really good discounts now as well- not as cheap as the Ender and lacks the epic aftermarket and community, but has some advantages

AlexSimon

@Northwind – I noticed on Gearbest that that had the most sales today out of all of the discounted 3D printers – I hadn’t heard of it before – do you have a link to a worthy review?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheers- got a lot of reading up to do. I have some experience using ‘industrial grade’ printers at work, including a metal sintering machine, so it’s really interesting to see where they hold your hand compared to the hobbyist models.

So far, I really miss soluble support that ‘just happens’!

We had an ultimaker 2 extended (don’t think it was the 2+ that was something else). Which was a £4k machine not so long ago! Still a lot of advantages over a £125 printer, but amazing how quickly they’ve gone from something niche we had in the corner of the warehouse to the same price as a mid range inkjet!

Northwind

teachingtech is usually pretty reliable, here’s a review:

It’s more of a competitor for the CR10S Pro than the Ender but it seems to sit between the two on price.

AlexSimon

Ah yes – I’d actually seen this one reviewed by Maker’s Muse:

Some interesting points made.

It’s not one I’m interested in, but it’s always good to have an answer ready for the ‘if I were to get one, what should I get’ questions I get from time to time.

swanny853

Well, I’m starting to get twitchy about bed offset! Just comes with the territory I guess…

Tinas- ours is a fortus 400. It’s impressive the degree to which it just cracks on, but when it does have a wobbly moment it’s very much the same sort of process as with the basic machines to get everything sorted again, just with some slightly posher tools to do it.

AlexSimon

Another good price, but this time for a more advanced printer.
    It’s the cheapest it’s ever been at £418
    Creality CR-10S Pro
    https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_009343563461.html?wid=1349303

Advantages over the normal CR-10 (and many other kits) are:
    Mains-powered bed, so heats faster
    Auto bed-levelling
    Filament runout detection
    Recovery from power failure (this seems to be more common in the US than here from what I can tell)
    Higher temperatures on both bed and nozzle (260-degrees on nozzle due to Capricorn tube – which can be installed on a normal CR-10 for about £12)
    Touchscreen (don’t know whether the interface is actually any good though)
    Control box is part of the frame (instead of an awkward-to-carry separate thing)

But I know the price is getting into Prusa territory so worth some research – I guess the 300x300x400 bed is still fairly rare.

Personally, now that I’ve printed loads of prints on my normal CR-10, I reckon I’ve overcome a lot of these problems, so not worth upgrading, but if I were currently starting out and was choosing between the CR-10 and this, I’d definitely get this.

zilog6128

my first functional resin print 😃 (2p for scale!)
    https://i.imgur.com/VYCPwYX.jpg

AlexSimon

@zilog6128 Stop it. Stop it now. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just on the subject of resin printers, there’s a revised Mars about to launch and it’s supposedly aiming at the same price point, looks like it could be pretty awesome

Any details?

Northwind

Nope. It was supposed to be out last month but I think they’re still clearing stock of the original one so it’s been pushed back a bit.

I think this is about the most info that’s up there. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=533635217206187. More of a big update than a new printer but still enough to be a big deal

AlexSimon

A few youtubers have just been offered Elegoo Mars Pro review units, so expect something in a week or two I reckon.

zilog6128

The new Prusa Minis are shipping now & mine turned up this morning! Up and printing in an hour or so, great print quality right out of the box (no tweaking required yet except setting live Z). Only done a couple of prints so far but really pleased with it!

https://i.ibb.co/t3hy5K7/C6-AB344-D-EAB1-4-ED8-B480-12-E9-BCE64-E86.jpg

AlexSimon

Brilliant – it’s almost a shame that other printers have got so cheap – if this was everyone’s entry into 3D printing, it would be better for the hobby.

zilog6128

if this was everyone’s entry into 3D printing, it would be better for the hobby.

yeah, no messing, just print! Great price too. Unfortunately, only the hardcore Prusa fanboys (like me 😂) who ordered one on the day they were announced will get one this year, and they’re currently looking at a 4 month backlog for new orders.

Milkie
    Free Member

Managed to get quite a bit of printing done over the last few weeks. Unfortunately most of them were scrapped due to poor quality or being out of tolerance. 🙁 Bearings, bushes and rods need replacing, it makes a horrid noise on small fast movements and its a 50/50 chance of it failing a print. Also wanting to print in other materials and my current printer (Wanhao D5S) is only good for PLA.

Bought the eSun filament dryer box as I was sure my filament was a little wet. Certainly helped, dried it out quicker and improved my prints a little, it also has a weighing feature so you can work out how much filament is left.

It is time for a new printer, tempted by the Prusa Mini, but think I will be going for the MK3S, then add OctoPi with the touchscreen like Zilog. 🙂 I don’t think I can wait for the Prusa XL.

AlexSimon

Latest project: Peak District Relief map. Printed on the CR10 with Recycled White Matte PLA from Filamentive (my new favourite material).

Greyscale image was created in http://www.mapzen.com/products/tangram/

Then made into 3D in Blender and turned into hexagons and cut up into 3 CR10-sized chunks in Fusion 360.

Sooo many triangles really slowed Fusion to a crawl, but I got there in the end!

Frame is pine furniture board stained with Liberon Dark Oak wood dye. Cut using my home made 3D-printed Root 3 CNC router.

This is the bit where I live!

Look at those layers! I was so pleased when the first one came off the printer.
    This is the Hope Valley and Kinder. You can see Mam Tor and Great Ridge.

AlexSimon

Question – should I attempt to paint in the blue water, or should I just leave it?

zilog6128

Very cool. What is the overall size of the piece? It’s a shame about the visible lines between the printed pieces, don’t know what you could do about that though, maybe print in ABS and vapour join/smooth?

Fusion is awful for processing meshes (assuming that’s what you had?) IME, couldn’t you have used meshmixer or something? Or done the chopping in Blender? (never used it!)

Kind of looks like a moonscape right now which is cool 😃 Did you consider doing a filament swap when printing so the water was actually printed blue then the land (assuming it’s all on higher layers!) came out a different colour?

AlexSimon

@zilog6128
    Size is 460mm square. 3D printed bit is 390×360

I knew the joins would show which is why I did them as hexagons – they look little more intentional – maybe 🙂 I reckon the whole thing would have fitted on a Creality S4 🙂

Yes, Fusion is awful for meshes, but I hate meshmixer with a passion. I tried it on that first and gave up. Once I’d optimised the number of triangles in Blender, it wasn’t too bad, but the first few tries just locked it up.

Filament swap wouldn’t work because all the water areas are at different elevations (mostly reservoirs). It would work with an island, but I’m not especially attached to any to bother trying it – maybe Westeros 🙂

Northwind

That’s very cool, I’ve done some relief maps but they’ve always been much more triangley.

AlexSimon

Yes, I had to work hard to get the data as I wanted it.
    I originally wanted to carve it out of wood (and may still), but each hexagon was taking 3-5 hours to complete and unlike the 3D printer, you can’t leave a CNC Router unattended.
    I created one out of Beech of Kinder Plateau.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VkhSBwRy1pUovvSdA

The lines are from a conservative stepover on the ball-nose bit. It took 3 hours like this, but would have taken 5 if I’d reduced it a bit. I actually quite like the look and would accept it as a compromise.

zilog6128

I reckon the whole thing would have fitted on a Creality S4 🙂

I’ve recently joined an R2D2 printing FB group, the S5 is quite popular as it’s the only (hobby) printer than can do the parts in one piece! There are a lot of mandatory upgrades though, even after that you’ve spent quite a lot of money for a printer which isn’t THAT good (just large build area!). Prusa apparently launching a 400×400 CoreXY machine this year which I’ll no doubt get (still not quite big enough for the single print R2 bits though!!)

AlexSimon

Yes, I’ve got my eyes on what Prusa do with that. A quick look suggests that the S4 is discontinued and the new CR10 MAX at 450x450mm is the latest. A good size, but as you say, they are expensive for a chinese printer and all the associated ups and downs that entails!
    Especially when the Ender 3 is very good at £139.

zilog6128

nope, never heard of them! A quick google suggests they work though, and look pretty cool! https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/spray-paint-effect-with-uni-posca-markers.2256/
    Might set up some amazon price alerts!!

The metallic Sharpies (gold, bronze, silver) also work really well on most surfaces and all colours (even on black)

AlexSimon

They’re just a (reliable) brand of Acrylic pen afaik. My wife uses them a lot for marking-up while proofreading. I’ve used the white on projects a few times, but not on plastic yet.

stumpy01

I really like that Peak District relief map.

I keep meaning to fiddle about with something like this. I have prepared various map locations & saved the stl file, but then never followed it up with a print.
    I’ve also done one of the 24:12 course map from a few years ago, with an idea of printing it out & mounting it on the garage wall.

Regarding those pens for colouring 3-D prints – I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, but please tell me you’ll make a test print before attacking that map?!
    Most painted 3-D printed projects I see are sprayed with a rattle can, or airbrushed.

AlexSimon

I have prepared various map locations & saved the stl file

Surely that’s the hard part out of the way!

please tell me you’ll make a test print before attacking that map?!

Why!? ok – I know – I’ve got all precious about it all of a sudden. I’ve got a test hexagon of a bit of Ladybower all set up ready to go and I’ve ordered 2 sizes of light blue pens. I’ll report back!

stumpy01

AlexSimon

I have prepared various map locations & saved the stl file

Surely that’s the hard part out of the way!

I know! Terrible, isn’t it?! Just finding time to get all of my projects done. I’ve got stuff from last year that I want to really get moving with, that just sit there!

I used your RootCNC BOM ages ago to plan my own RootCNC, but that has not got anywhere, as of yet.
    I then decided the dremelCNC would be a good starting point to learn the principle, especially as I already have a decent dremel. I spent ages pricing it all up & creating my own BOM, but that’s also not got anywhere – it stalled around Christmas time & now…..erm, life.

One day I’ll find the time…

Definitely report back with the acrylic pen thingy…

AlexSimon

Yes a cheap entry to CNC is good – then you’ll realise how amazing it is and want to spend a few thousand like I do! (but can’t).
    What I really want is a laser cutter, but I missed out on a kickstarter (Beamo) before christmas through indecision and now keep kicking myself now that the price has doubled. I’ll probably end up with a K40 laser from china at some point (it’s all I can fit).

zilog6128

3d printed no-hands (you use your forearm!) door opener.

Not my design (found it on Thingy) works a treat though, made some for all the doors in the flats where I live.

This is the link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4226180
    Think it may be borked now since the update yesterday? If anyone wants the STL just PM me.

papamountain
    Free Member

Anyone printing face shield parts for the NHS etc? – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52111522

Sign up here – https://www.3dcrowd.uk/ Can you let me know what they ask after you signup?

Petg is best but i think they accept them in pla too. If you are making them can you share your settings etc or any other advice.

I think when you have at least 20, dpd will pick them up for free and send them to 3dcrowd where the visor bit will be added and they will be sterilized etc and sent to anyone who needs them (186,000 requested so far).

Thanks.
    #TheBigPrint

zilog6128

@papamountain Excellent, just signed up. I had been printing the Prusa-designed shields, but it’s now impossible to get the clear sheet material you need for the shields from wholesalers, so I stopped. Now I can resume production and let someone else worry about that part!!

spandex_bob

Been printing the prusa rc2 shield non-stop on the work ultimaker for 12 days now, we’re in isolation so the boss has taken it home and has been keeping it going. Also got a local company going as well with their 3 machines, and got a supply of the shields laser cut by another local supplier. We’re delivering direct to local GPs, children’s homes, police and hospitals. Done lots of mods to the CAD to suit different printers and shield materials/thicknesses, all remote as can’t leave home. Great to be part of something directly helpful, and distracts from the constant media stream. Think we’ll be printing for some time yet as demand isn’t dropping, and massive thumbs up to anyone else doing the same.

zilog6128

@papamountain
    The min. number of frames is only 10 BUT you have to book the collection via DPD by 11pm TONIGHT and the collection will be Tues morning. 🙁 Hopefully they’ll be doing a second wave later on as I won’t be able to get loads more done by then.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 691 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 3d printer kits – Experiences?’ is closed to new replies.