Cheap 3d printer kits – Experiences?

• This topic has 659 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by  Milkie.
Viewing 20 posts - 641 through 660 (of 660 total)
  • Cheap 3d printer kits – Experiences?
  • mrpeaski

@swanny853

if you get stuck with your ender go here

https://reddit.com/r/ender3/new/

Fantastic community and you’ll get a lot of useful advice

Premier Icon swanny853
    Subscriber

Cheers- got a lot of reading up to do. I have some experience using ‘industrial grade’ printers at work, including a metal sintering machine, so it’s really interesting to see where they hold your hand compared to the hobbyist models.

So far, I really miss soluble support that ‘just happens’!

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Ender 3 is £126 on Gearbest today with 11:11 sales.
    (note that in China 11:11 is 4 times bigger than Black Friday and Cyber Monday so worth looking at all the main chinese sites for sales today)

https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_1845899.html?wid=1349303

stumpy01

AlexSimon Subscriber

Ender 3 is £126 on Gearbest today with 11:11 sales.

Gah! Very tempting!
    I want a second printer for trying out new settings & experimenting with different materials. That would be ideal. No space for it though & not enough time really for tinkering.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

The Artillery Sidewinder’s getting some really good discounts now as well- not as cheap as the Ender and lacks the epic aftermarket and community, but has some advantages

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

@Northwind – I noticed on Gearbest that that had the most sales today out of all of the discounted 3D printers – I hadn’t heard of it before – do you have a link to a worthy review?

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Cheers- got a lot of reading up to do. I have some experience using ‘industrial grade’ printers at work, including a metal sintering machine, so it’s really interesting to see where they hold your hand compared to the hobbyist models.

So far, I really miss soluble support that ‘just happens’!

We had an ultimaker 2 extended (don’t think it was the 2+ that was something else). Which was a £4k machine not so long ago! Still a lot of advantages over a £125 printer, but amazing how quickly they’ve gone from something niche we had in the corner of the warehouse to the same price as a mid range inkjet!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

teachingtech is usually pretty reliable, here’s a review:

It’s more of a competitor for the CR10S Pro than the Ender but it seems to sit between the two on price.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Ah yes – I’d actually seen this one reviewed by Maker’s Muse:

Some interesting points made.

It’s not one I’m interested in, but it’s always good to have an answer ready for the ‘if I were to get one, what should I get’ questions I get from time to time.

Premier Icon swanny853
    Subscriber

Well, I’m starting to get twitchy about bed offset! Just comes with the territory I guess…

Tinas- ours is a fortus 400. It’s impressive the degree to which it just cracks on, but when it does have a wobbly moment it’s very much the same sort of process as with the basic machines to get everything sorted again, just with some slightly posher tools to do it.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Another good price, but this time for a more advanced printer.
    It’s the cheapest it’s ever been at £418
    Creality CR-10S Pro
    https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_009343563461.html?wid=1349303

Advantages over the normal CR-10 (and many other kits) are:
    Mains-powered bed, so heats faster
    Auto bed-levelling
    Filament runout detection
    Recovery from power failure (this seems to be more common in the US than here from what I can tell)
    Higher temperatures on both bed and nozzle (260-degrees on nozzle due to Capricorn tube – which can be installed on a normal CR-10 for about £12)
    Touchscreen (don’t know whether the interface is actually any good though)
    Control box is part of the frame (instead of an awkward-to-carry separate thing)

But I know the price is getting into Prusa territory so worth some research – I guess the 300x300x400 bed is still fairly rare.

Personally, now that I’ve printed loads of prints on my normal CR-10, I reckon I’ve overcome a lot of these problems, so not worth upgrading, but if I were currently starting out and was choosing between the CR-10 and this, I’d definitely get this.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

my first functional resin print 😃 (2p for scale!)
    https://i.imgur.com/VYCPwYX.jpg

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

@zilog6128 Stop it. Stop it now. 🙂

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Just on the subject of resin printers, there’s a revised Mars about to launch and it’s supposedly aiming at the same price point, looks like it could be pretty awesome

Any details?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Nope. It was supposed to be out last month but I think they’re still clearing stock of the original one so it’s been pushed back a bit.

I think this is about the most info that’s up there. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=533635217206187. More of a big update than a new printer but still enough to be a big deal

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

A few youtubers have just been offered Elegoo Mars Pro review units, so expect something in a week or two I reckon.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

The new Prusa Minis are shipping now & mine turned up this morning! Up and printing in an hour or so, great print quality right out of the box (no tweaking required yet except setting live Z). Only done a couple of prints so far but really pleased with it!

https://i.ibb.co/t3hy5K7/C6-AB344-D-EAB1-4-ED8-B480-12-E9-BCE64-E86.jpg

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Brilliant – it’s almost a shame that other printers have got so cheap – if this was everyone’s entry into 3D printing, it would be better for the hobby.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

if this was everyone’s entry into 3D printing, it would be better for the hobby.

yeah, no messing, just print! Great price too. Unfortunately, only the hardcore Prusa fanboys (like me 😂) who ordered one on the day they were announced will get one this year, and they’re currently looking at a 4 month backlog for new orders.

Milkie

Managed to get quite a bit of printing done over the last few weeks. Unfortunately most of them were scrapped due to poor quality or being out of tolerance. 🙁 Bearings, bushes and rods need replacing, it makes a horrid noise on small fast movements and its a 50/50 chance of it failing a print. Also wanting to print in other materials and my current printer (Wanhao D5S) is only good for PLA.

Bought the eSun filament dryer box as I was sure my filament was a little wet. Certainly helped, dried it out quicker and improved my prints a little, it also has a weighing feature so you can work out how much filament is left.

It is time for a new printer, tempted by the Prusa Mini, but think I will be going for the MK3S, then add OctoPi with the touchscreen like Zilog. 🙂 I don’t think I can wait for the Prusa XL.

Viewing 20 posts - 641 through 660 (of 660 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.