Home Forums Bike Forum Chain keeps coming off – worn out ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chain keeps coming off – worn out ?
  • dyna-ti

Its on the suss ebike. Theres been no changes to it and its a commuter type thing so no damage to the hanger or such.

However, in the 3 years I’ve had it, its the same drivetrain*. So chain, cassette and from the look of it, the chainring look pretty worn.

So would ditching all the above for new solve the prob ?

* yes I know, should have been more diligent on changing the chain regularly, but you know…

TheGingerOne

If it is on a narrow wide single ring and coming off the chainring, then yes, and you will need a new chain and cassette if it is all that worn.

alan1977
    Free Member

yup…. likely.. measuring it would probably enlighten you more, 3 years on a chain is insane assuming regular usage

tthew

* yes I know, should have been more diligent on changing the chain regularly, but you know…

Not necessarily. If you’d had changed the chain every 8 months, you’d have probably needed a new cassette and chainrings after 3 chains because number 4 wouldn’t mesh with the 1/2 worn bits. That’s 24 months, you’re on the right side of that by a year.

I just run it all until knackered and replace the lot.

andrewh
    Free Member

Where’s it coming off, at the front or the back? Or just slipping a lot?

dyna-ti

No slipping, coming off the front, despite the keeper thing.

Chainring is a direct mount FSA WB604 34t on inspection it is looking decidedly jaggy.

On a side note, 34t while fine offroad, is a bit small for road use so would increasing it to 36 make any difference to the motor bit settings ?

….

This bike needs a complete overhaul, I’ve new pro5 wheels for it and need to finally sort putting the T4V4 brake on the rear(one on the front currently) I was thinking of replacing the mech and going from 12spd to 10spd as ive a new XO mech and shifter sitting in a box, but I dont want to get into the dropping the motor bit and trying to route the housings through due to the amount of bloody work involved.

Thankfully I’ve the 2nd eebike now so having this one off the road for a considerable time isnt going to affect my getting out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.