Home Forums Chat Forum Cd’s or vinyl

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cd’s or vinyl
  • redmex
    Free Member

I have a Rega planar 3 with maybe 1/2 of my albums in very good condition 35/40 year old plastic but my Marantz 50se bought in 1991and cd’s 4 for £1 at charity shops the sound quality with no dust or fluff to worry about

Records only get played for nostalgia for a hour or so once a month

Spotify at work or played through a Chromecast

Acoustic energy speakers work so well too

Cougar2
    Free Member

Haven’t you just answered your own question? (Assuming there’s a question, it’s hard to tell.)

hightensionline

Both.

Vinyl for sitting down and listening: CDs for moving around the room/house with no worries about jumps or skips on the platter.

There are subtle differences, and sometimes noticeable comparisons to the formats for the same recording, but as long as it’s music you like, then just enjoy!

thols2

joshvegas
    Free Member

I only listen to live music in the house, its the only way to consume audio.

ransos
    Free Member

Vinyl for sitting down and listening: CDs for moving around the room/house with no worries about jumps or skips on the platter.

But if you’re arguing for CDs on the basis of convenience, why wouldn’t you stream instead?

IdleJon
    Free Member

Same here, but then my wife arrives home and tells me she break the banjo if I don’t get some lessons.

chakaping

I’m not sure what the question is, but I wandered into Fopp the other day and was taken aback to learn the going rate for a vinyl LP is about £30 now.

That might steer me to CDs if I were building a collection.

Yak

Vinyl and streaming. And vinyl from record fairs or other secondhand sources. When my last cd player died I didn’t replace it. My van still has a cd player though so they do get listened to.

scud
    Free Member

Still have 2 Technics 1210’s and new X-One mixer, so i’m the two extremes, vinyl as it is a physical process, the singlespeeding of audio!

And streaming when i am just “listening” to music in background.

Remember when they said CD’s could be frozen, covered in jam and fag ash and would still work? Half the ones i owned had terrible skipping in them after a few years

I tend to have a rule, vinyl if the music was actually made in an analogue way (including dance music) and streaming if it recent music and produced for streaming really, as i tend to find that it doesn’t often translate well to vinyl (or sound any warmer..) but that might just be my ears

On a side note, over 50% of all vinyl sold in the US is to people who don’t own a turntable and the third largest vinyl pressing plant in the world does nothing but Fleetwood Mac reissues..

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a minstrel follow me around when I am out and about.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the question is, but I wandered into Fopp the other day and was taken aback to learn the going rate for a vinyl LP is about £30 now.

Back in the 90s a new CD album was what, £12 say? 1995 relative today would be £24 so £30 isn’t crazy for vinyl I think.

hightensionline

But if you’re arguing for CDs on the basis of convenience, why wouldn’t you stream instead?

Is true, unless Spotify (or whichever streaming service) doesn’t have the album you want to enjoy, which happens pretty regularly for me. Also applies to the remastered versions that become default; these sometimes aren’t the definitive or preferred version, regardless.
    I suppose the physical nature of even a CD is a nice thing, also.

hightensionline

Back in the 90s a new CD album was what, £12 say? 1995 relative today would be £24 so £30 isn’t crazy for vinyl I think.

Absolutely. A £15.99 CD from 1995 works out at £31 using the inflation calculator.

ransos
    Free Member

Is true, unless Spotify (or whichever streaming service) doesn’t have the album you want to enjoy, which happens pretty regularly for me

Fair point. It’s a very rare thing for me and remastered vs original doesn’t bother me for casual listening. I have about 300 CDs in boxes in the loft, I can’t say I’ve missed playing them. I do like to play a record though on the rare occasions I have time.

chakaping

Absolutely. A £15.99 CD from 1995 works out at £31 using the inflation calculator.

Yet CDs haven’t got so pricey?

seriousrikk

I stream nearly all the music I listen to. I find spotify ‘very high’ quality sounds identical to CD through my current equipment.

But I still buy merch including CDs and Vinyl to support the artists. I know the smaller artists don’t make a great deal of money on CDs but do better out of Vinyl. I’m actually building quite a nice (niche) vinyl collection at the moment which I look forward to being able to actually listen to one day when I get round to buying a record player.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a minstrel follow me around when I am out and about.

Nice, i couldn’t afford to spring for the paid subscription.

kormoran
    Free Member

Same here, but then my wife arrives home and tells me she break the banjo if I don’t get some lesson

You’re finbar Saunders yeah?

poolman
    Free Member

I buy vinyl as I like owning it, I usually listen to youtube and watch vids via some decent powered speakers, but display albums on shelves.  Most albums I haven’t even opened.  Hmv want 30 to 40 quid an album, I rarely pay more than 25, unless it’s super collectable.

zilog6128

A £15.99 CD from 1995 works out at £31 using the inflation calculator.

that price was insane though, the result of the music industry bigwigs ripping off everyone including the consumer.

nicko74

CDs for backup and ripping to my NAS for streaming round the house.

Vinyl for sitting down and actually listening to music in one room.

It’s an expensive approach though

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.