Home Forums Bike Forum Canyon Grail. Curious take on drop bar content.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Canyon Grail. Curious take on drop bar content.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I think I need to look at this a bit longer before jumping to a conclusion.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/4425/the-canyon-grail-reinventing-the-handlebar

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/gear-news/canyon-launches-grail-gravel-bike-double-decker-hover-bar.html#pmJrLybUEOMHl3DV.97

Apologies, not worked out the image share on my phone yet.

rOcKeTdOg

that would be a PITA to bar tape

chakaping

Canyon, in a way, has attempted to reinvent the handlebar to help meet ‘rider demands of a bar that is compliant on the tops for added comfort cruising across rough surfaces, and stiffer on the drops when sprinting or descending – and which can also be used to air dry clothing.”

Fixed it for them.

Looks intruiging though, might be of interest if I were gravel inclined.

bluebird
    Free Member

Ow my eyes!

downhillfast
    Free Member

Is it a flat bar? Is it a drop bar? Or is it neither ?  And both?

Weird for sure. May just work quite well though, knowing Canyon.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not read it all yet so I might have missed it, but how is this different from a short upright stem?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The top of the bars are only supported by attachment to the drops, which provides compliance when riding on the tops. The stem attaches to a support member between the drop section.

chakaping

Well the obvious difference is that you have a choice of two “flats”.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tomhoward

Stiffer in the drops for sprinting, comfierer on the tops for cruising apparently.

Specialized will have to hand over the ‘fugliest bar’ crown…

rOcKeTdOg

Weird for sure. May just work quite well knowing Canyon.

may just have tolerances all over the place if the Canyons we’ve had in the shop are anything to go by and have been warrantied knowing Canyon

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Specialized will have to hand over the ‘fugliest bar’ crown…

While their riser drop/steerer condom combo is indeed fugly, the current title holder is….

Bonus points for the aero bottle on a front suspension gravel bike, too.

lunge

I understand the theory, though i don’t agree with it. It’s a gravel bike, so surely you want vibration damping when on the drops as that’s what you hold when descending (maximum control and easy access to brakes. You could argue you want stiffness when on the hoods as that’s where you’ll be when you do any hard efforts like short steep climbs. The tops are just a bit of an irrelevance aren’t they?

Plus, is just looks horrible.

So yeah, it’s a no from me.

monkeyboyjc

Personally the bar alone would put me off purchasing that bike. You’d have to go for a test ride first to see if you get on with the bike as there’s 0 chance of replacing the bar/stem setup for something conventional.  Not exactly easy to test ride canyons. The bar position is fixed as you cant change the roll, being a one piece bar and stem. The drop position for your hands is also fixed as you need to hook your thumbs around the lower flat bar, which would definitely aid control but not great for long rides. OK so the tops are flexible to aid comfort – but surely more conventional swept gravel bar with a good tape and multiple positions is just as good for comfort (not an area ice had an issue with on my gravel bike).

Other than the bar stem the only thing that sets the bike aside from others is the vcls seatpost which, have owned 2 in the past OS excellent – but it’s avaliable separately to the bike.

Only a max 40mm tyre size also puts me off. Canyon day that this is because they want a tyre with no compromises. Surely plumping for a max mid size gravel tyre will only give a compromise – not great off road, not great on road. I’d much rather have two wheelsets – one 700c with 35-40c and one 650b with big 2″ or 47mm tyres

It’s canyon so I’m sure people will love the price.  But I certainly wouldn’t buy one. Don’t expect that bar to be around in a couple years.

AlexSimon

7 sizes in the range is impressive! 2XS to 2XL

Anyway. I think the bar flexiness thing is a red herring. I think they did it so it still looked like a racy bike, even though it’s got high bars.

It kind of works – in that every bike with a high-rise stem looks awful.

Klunk
    Free Member

how is that any different to “normal” drops with a stupidly steep rising stem ?

doesn’t look particularly easy or comfortable !

or even just the “normal” seattube and stem

AlexSimon

doesn’t look particularly easy or comfortable !

I agree – I don’t think it’s intended for that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

:)

oldnpastit

We have reached Peak Gravel Bike.

mrchrispy

at least it has loads of places for lights and computers :D

avdave2

You wouldn’t want to crash with your hands on that lower bar would you!

monkeyboyjc

Canyon say that you shouldn’t in any circumstances use the lower flats as hand positions as you could end up with broken wrists in event of a crash.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wonder if Specialized will look kindly on them using the ‘Hover Bar’ name…

cheers_drive

I like it and the bar would be good on gravel or rough roads but on singletrack you’d want to be on the hoods for twisty corners, not sure how complaint the bar is there?

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh man that does not look pretty. Also, where does your thumb go when you’re in the drops?!?!?

mtbfix

Who wants flexible tops? That’s just where you keep your lights and gps, no?

Mind you, it’s drawn a lot of interest so a big win for the marketing dept.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm… kinda like the concept…

When I used to ride a lot, on gravel on my CXer, I will admit there was maybe once when I thought I needed a slightly higher bar position.. other than that I rode it head down/arse up which I think is the right way.. 🤩

But these days I’m so far off trend that I didn’t even know Canyon made a Gavel bike.. I’ve only just gotten round to liking thier CXer ..

🤷‍♂️💣

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Also, where does your thumb go when you’re in the drops?!?!?

Klunk
    Free Member

I will admit there was maybe once when I thought I needed a slightly higher bar position..

the bar tops are in exactly the same position as any other gravel bike though, the stem just comes out at the top of the head tube.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah I can see that.

dragon
    Free Member

Lemond  Scott

dragon
    Free Member

Gravel bike old school, got suspension forks and everything ;-)

shermer75
    Free Member

Drop-ins!! Lol

jameso

This and lycra shorts with pockets in the same week?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It haz teh mudguardz

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m in a 80s road cycling group on FB.

They are foaming at their mouths

sirromj

I didn’t even know Canyon made a Gavel bike

Chris Clark smashed it to pieces*

*curious music content.

genubah
    Free Member

Don’t know about the bike, but love the memes

bikergbr
    Free Member

“While their riser drop/steerer condom combo is indeed fugly, the current title holder is….”

Sorry to return to an old thread.
    What make is this?

Thanks

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Grail. Curious take on drop bar content.’ is closed to new replies.