Home Forums Chat Forum Broadband and home phone – PlusNet or Vodafone?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Broadband and home phone – PlusNet or Vodafone?
  • cp

Nailed it down to either of those two I think.  Anyone with +ve or -ve experience with either?

PlusNet router looks crap, but their offices are just down the road here in Sheffield 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got plusnet, it arrived, it’s connected.

Yep thats it, works and delivers internet

Drac

Keep away from Vodafone, you can use your own router with Plusnet if you don’t like the one they supply.

Nico
    Free Member

Plusnet for me. Pretty happy.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Changed to vodafone a few months ago. I wasn’t an existing mobile customer but they offered me the lower price of £20/month for 38MB fibre.

They failed to notify my previous supplier so I’ve been paying 2 fee’s. Phoned up and they have agreed to credit my account for the overcharges.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>For some reason I can’t seem to set up an online account without a Vodafone mobile number and the girl on the phone couldn’t help so if I need anything I just have to call them up. They seem to answer fairly quickly atleast.</span>

There was also some confusion about whether they needed to send out an Engineer or not to switch my line over.

They don’t seem too professional to be honest but I’ve had no connection issues since switching.

Alphabet

I’ve been with Vodafone for a few years now for mobile, broadband and home phone. No problems and cheaper than BT who I was with beforehand.

I believe you can use your own router now and they will give you your username and password if you ask although I haven’t tried. I think I read this somewhere but double check if using your own router is a must have.

tintim

I’m on Vodafone. I wouldn’t recommend their router though very unreliable, so I use my own.

cp

Great feedback thanks folks.  Looks like a consensus swaying to plusnet

Cheers!

ads678

Plusnet router does look bloody awful and their website is shocking to use, but I haven’t had any problems with the phone or internet. Can get the BT sport app for £5 a month (cheaper at first I think) with plusnet if thats of any interest. I use it quite a bit during the Rugby season and don’t have any problem with streaming/casting.

docrobster
    Free Member

Another happy plusnet user here. Since 2003. Customer service only used once in that time and resolved the issue admirably. My mum and Mum in law also have similar stories to tell.

Re the router. I’ve slways used my own. On the fibre bundle and when I switched I declined their offer of sending one. Rest of the family seem happy with the free routers though for standard broadband.

scuttler

Plusnet router works well. Like most people on here I’m paid to understand tech but at home I can’t be arsed and what we do have works well with it (some home plugs, various i-devices and some Bose wireless speakers). I rarely reboot it (current uptime > 40 days). Like you I thought it’d need replacing but thought I’d go with it until I found a reason to replace and 3-4 months into the contract I haven’t yet found a reason.

I had to buy a 3-d printed bracket from ebay to mount it on the wall under the stairs but that was it.

Plusnet service is good, home phone continues to work as a phone and as a BT offshoot, the BT Sport App was cheap to add (and subsequently remove – rolling one month contract) for Champions League action if you care about that sort of thing.

franksinatra

I’m a relatively content Plusnet customer. Its reliable and works. I begrudge paying for a landline phone as it is only ever used when my mother in laws phones and we don’t want to speak to her anyway. I’m therefore always on the lookout for a good value broadband only deal.

I’m interested in the chat about router though, it hadn’t occurred to me to swap this.   I find the router signal is quite weak, can I just swap it with any old router and, if so, any recommendations?

scuttler

I have a Plusnet Hub One (white flat-faced) router. The only issue I’ve had with it centrally placed in a reasonably modern normal sized 4 bed detached house (get me) is with a laptop whose chipset preferred 2.4 Ghz wifi over 5 Ghz and as such had some interference with bluetooth gizmos. When I forced the laptop to prefer 5 Ghz it’s been rock solid. I knew it was a device rather than router problem though as all other devices were stable.

Not sure what alternatives there are but plenty of guidance out there on the Plusnet forums and other sites.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’ve been with Plusnet for ages now, I pay the line rental in advance for the whole year to save a bit of cash.  They give me free unlimited broadband because I’ve been with them for so long!

The BT app is tempting at £5/month and they do a pretty good SIM only deal so may move from EE.

All in all, I think they’re very good.

sadexpunk

i too begrudge paying for a phone line that i dont want (im with virgin at the mo) but im paying relatively little per month (£23 bb + unwanted phone line, no tv package)

how much y’all paying for your ‘bb only’ deals with plusnet and voda and how fast is it? think mines officially 100Mb now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I left Plusnet for Vodafone, got a free sonos play1 and saved about a tenner a month. Vodafone much quicker than Plusnet was, other than that good experiences with both.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sadex, I’m 30 a month, 80Mb linespeed, no line rental. No calls, but I didn’t want any anyway, as we never use the phone.

weeksy

Interesting and timely thread…

I’m unhappy with BTs pricing but VERY happy with their service.

Sadly for me, when you factor in BT Sport for MotoGP/football… there’s only 1 real option.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There are likely to be customer service ratings online somehwere, or on Which @ your library

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Broadband and home phone – PlusNet or Vodafone?’ is closed to new replies.