Viewing 40 posts - 3,001 through 3,040 (of 13,619 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Anyone ever seen some of the really properly rough bits of America with third world style poverty? Coming soon here….

I will sit here for a while longer, job, house etc, but if this carries on the way it’s going I will be making use of the Irish passport and getting off this rock.

joepud
    Free Member

Anyone ever seen some of the really properly rough bits of America with third world style poverty? Coming soon here….

Yep and the sad thing is the majority of people that voted Tory wont have the advantage of private health care when it all goes wrong. Like a turkey voting for xmas is the phrase I would use. Its absolute joke how Boris can tell the whole country his deals “oven ready” and for us to now be in a position of a no deal Brexit is nothing short of negligence. If you voted Tory you must hang your head in shame, and realise this is all your fault!

doomanic

I’ve got private health care through work, unfortunately my family doesn’t. If I’ll still have a job after the shit really hits the fan is another matter altogether…

13thfloormonk

If you voted Tory you must hang your head in shame, and realise this is all your fault!

I’m inclined to agree with this myself, but knowing some Tory/brexit voters, there is a degree of just trusting politicians to do the right thing and to know what they are doing, which to a degree is right and proper, and you could argue that it is only reasonable to assume that the newspapers are telling the truth and that the government is acting in our interests, and if this is not the case then it is only our government at fault. Am not sure you can blame voters for simply taking politicians at face value, however naive that might sound in this day and age…

reluctantjumper

So where’s the Oven Ready Deal? The easiest deal in history? They need us more than we need them? Oh yes, none exist. What a complete and utter joke. I want to type more but I’d A get banned and B break the swear filter.

He looks… Not quite “pleased with himself”, but strangely satisfied in that speech…

He looks like a smug, odious **** to me who I will quite happily punch in the face until it caves in under the constant pounding I’ll give it.

WTF is an Australia deal???

Nothing. Australia don’t need a good relationship with the EU as they have the whole of Asia on their doorstep. We don’t.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

So, game over then. Bring forth the omnishambles.

I for one look forward to the breakup of the union but only because I am being selfish and hope my recent ancestry qualifies for Scottish citizenry.

mrmo
    Free Member

an Australia deal that is good that Australia want to change it

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/australia/index_en.htm

eskay

I’m inclined to agree with this myself, but knowing some Tory/brexit voters, there is a degree of just trusting politicians to do the right thing and to know what they are doing

I had a chat with a Brexit Johnson loving colleague earlier and his response was ‘at least we have a strong leader not like cornflake or trout face’.

No idea who trout face’ is but that is what you are up against.

And he loves blaming the EU for negotiations going nowhere.

Philby

I bet it’ll be the bloody traitorous Leave voters who will be down the supermarkets stockpiling for the inevitable lack of supply of European foods come January! Boris’s ‘oven-ready’ deal was as oven ready as all those turkeys from Tesco last Christmas that were found rotting when people peeled the wrapper. He and his band of intellectual lightweight cabinet members should be tried for treason.

dovebiker

Anyone ever seen some of the really properly rough bits of America with third world style poverty?

Yup, I helped set up a JV in a fairly rural part of Kentucky about 20 years ago and got the chance to go to some fairly rural parts of the state, plus Ohio, Tennessee and Georgia visiting mom and pop type family businesses, Bo and Luke Duke complete with dungarees (sadly no Daisy). I also went to Johnson City, NJ just across the river from Philly visiting a company in a predominantly black neighbourhood – pretty stark reminder of a divided country.

sgn23
    Free Member

He and his band of intellectual lightweight cabinet members should be tried for treason.

I’ve often said that Cameron should be tried for treason. He’s the fool that started all of this.

dissonance

Yep and the sad thing is the majority of people that voted Tory wont have the advantage of private health care when it all goes wrong

Whats sad about that? They made their choice they get to reap the rewards. My sympathy is for those who didnt make that choice.

Klunk
    Free Member

Anyone ever seen some of the really properly rough bits of America with third world style poverty?

I always found LA quite strange, obviously they thought the same about me (being a brit I was the only person walking for 30 miles). Staying on Lincoln all very nice an prosperous 2 blocks over and it’s steel shutters, steel grills armed guards and wind up yer windows.

kelvin

Win-win, nothing like us “pessimists” warned about, back in 2016…

BAIT
    AND
    SWITCH

kimbers

did camp america thing working with kids on welfare

Ive also worked with youths in some rough parts of north london

what I saw in America has never left me and made me realise even the poorest here have some basic rights and access to healthcare that the richest country in the world doesnt offer to their poorest

anyway

back OT

Johnson will fold at the last minute, this is just bluff & bluster as usual

avdave2

It strikes me that this shower of shit looked back and saw a time when Britain was great and that greatness, that wealth was built on Empire, and they looked around and saw that there was no where left to invade and to conquer and then along came a man with real vision and said to them you don’t need to exploit anyone but the people who surround you, your own country is full of people ready to be worked to death and used in any way you want. These people don’t really matter, any number of them can be used up, ground down and exploited and you need not lose a minutes sleep over it. And what’s more they’ll be convinced all their misery is nothing to do with you anyway

mrmo
    Free Member

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1316887009198141441

Gets better, so if there is anything you want to import, the seller is going to get hit. Those days of cheap Schwalbe tyres etc from Germany. Over. The days of UK distributers being able to ramp prices because there is no competition! FFS

DrJ

how Boris can tell the whole country his deals “oven ready”

Happy to be proved wrong but iirc the “oven ready deal” was the withdrawal agreement which has now been in operation for a while. Which is not to say that it isn’t a total shitshow.

mrmo
    Free Member

Happy to be proved wrong but iirc the “oven ready deal” was the withdrawal agreement which has now been in operation for a while. Which is not to say that it isn’t a total shitshow.

which also included the NI protocol that they want to ditch.

Riksbar

Looking at some of the Brexit supporters’ comments around social media it feels as though if they got their wish and all the Remain supporters did actually leave, there would be a sort of reverse of Douglas Adams’ ‘B’ Ark scenario. Instead of losing all the telephone sanitisers account executives, hairdressers, tired TV producers, insurance salesmen, personnel officers, security guards and public relations executives, instead Britain’s would shed most of its health workers, engineers, software designers, and people who actually know how to make a complex society run smoothly(ish) would be gone, and you’d be left with hedge fund managers, landed gentry, newspaper columnists and management consultants at one end of society, trying to deal with brickies, plasterers, plumbers and pensioners to keep the country functioning.

kelvin

Happy to be proved wrong but iirc the “oven ready deal” was the withdrawal agreement which has now been in operation for a while.

We know that. The conflation of the Withdrawal Arrangement with a Trade deal was deliberate though. GET BREXIT DONE. The WA will be ripped up next year if we don’t get a Trade Deal… the government have made that clear (only after being elected).

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Dead Cats all round…

grum
    Free Member

Britain’s would shed most of its health workers, engineers, software designers, and people who actually know how to make a complex society run smoothly(ish) would be gone

You forgot all the artists, musicians, dancers, architects, graphic designers, sound engineers etc who make that society have nice things in it.

cchris2lou

The WA wasnt the oven ready deal . The oven deal was a trade deal .

5thElefant
    Free Member

You forgot all the artists, musicians, dancers, architects, graphic designers, sound engineers etc who make that society have nice things in it.

That’s the b-ark.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Is a Turkey that voted for Christmas ready for the oven?

I feel like this Christmas is one where they smoke alarm goes off – a lot.

grum
    Free Member

That’s the b-ark.

I’ll go on the b-ark then please

Klunk
    Free Member

from the bbc comments 🙂

The government have now started construction of their new theme park in Kent to promote their new gaming idea. The idea of the game is you hide your lorry among 7000 other lorries for 3 days and then see if you can find it again.

The game is called:

TRUCK AND TRACE.

PS. Don’t forget to bring your Kent passport or you won’t be allowed to play.

Riksbar

Good point, and educators, researchers, academics, lawyers and do-gooders who give a society the ability to improve itself, the list goes on…

lister

When DID ‘do-gooders’ become an insult and how?
    Clearly the opposite of a do-gooder isn’t something a civilised person would want to be so how has it become such a charged word?

Northwind

It’s odd, isn’t it. I’ve always been proud to be a do-gooder. It’s a bit like how suddenly good manners became “political correctness” and could and should be laughed at, not being a dickhead makes you a “social justice warrior”, and being anti-fascist became evil.

I have to admit, I’m comfortable I’ve taken the right positions on most things like this in my life, but, my god, the bad guys are better than us at the messaging.

binners

I can give you an exact date… June 24th 2016. The day the prevailing ‘winning’ feel in this country officially became a nasty, petty, small-minded, backward-gazing, racist, insular, hostile, xenophobic load of old sepia-tinted ‘2 world wars and a world cup’ neo-colonial old bollocks!

I’ve endured this shit for 4 years now and it’s presently coming to the conclusion we all said it would.

I fully expect it to get far, far worse. **** this shitty little country!

p7eaven
    Free Member

It was an established insult back in 1980s. I heard it at times from both friends and strangers (for the specific joint crimes of picking up litter and being employed by a national nature conservation charity)

*edit. Here:

https://sgp1.digitaloceanspaces.com/proletarian-library/books/10e41c125e445e97a419cd9b623d398f.pdf

My Most Brexit/Tory Friend has such a disdain for ‘do-gooders’ because he ‘knows their motives are selfish/perverted’

tjagain

On the odd occasion I have got into debate with trumpers, when they call me a liberal I explain that in europe that is a compliment. It drives them crackers

intheborders
    Free Member

I for one look forward to the breakup of the union but only because I am being selfish and hope my recent ancestry qualifies for Scottish citizenry.

If you want to be Scottish, move here and commit – don’t just try and take advantage once you’ve decided rUK isn’t for you.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m waiting for my multi national employer to pull out of the UK as tariffs make us uncompetitive against our European competitors then I’m moving to Scotland……or France.

binners

My odd Lexiteer mate is saying It was always going to be this way as the EU needed no deal so that the resulting economic misery is seen by the rest of the EU as a warning to other countries about leaving.

So this is all the EU’s fault. They were always going to ‘punish us’ with no deal.

I mean…what can you say to these people?

grum
    Free Member

It’s a bit like how virtue signalling has become the ultimate online insult. I see it sometimes but often it’s just applied when people don’t like that others have better morals than they do.

And ‘arsehole signalling’ is seemingly just fine, or to be lauded in fact.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I mean what can you say to these people?

Nothing. Prevailing narrative ‘wins’. Takes all. In a race to the bottom it just has to play out until that ‘bottom‘ is reached. I’m no longer an optimist.

intheborders
    Free Member

My odd Lexiteer mate is saying It was always going to be this way as the EU needed no deal so that the resulting economic misery is seen by the rest of the EU as a warning to other countries about leaving.

So this is all the EU’s fault. They were always going to ‘punish us’ with no deal.

I mean…what can you say to these people?

Congratulate them on their foresight and remind them that based on this it means they actually voted to suffer (since apparently they knew the outcome).
    And then remind them that based on this they also voted so the majority of UK citizens would be worse off and have less rights (especially those with a crap life, as it’ll become shit).

Then walk away.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,001 through 3,040 (of 13,619 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.