Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 13,615 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • Cougar

Following on from That Thread:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/eu-referendum-are-you-in-or-out/page/1929/

Where do we go from here? What brave new worlds are we expecting? Positives, negatives? By popular demand, fill your boots on a new thread. Welcome to Brexit Britain 2020.

richardkennerley

Well the fireworks going off down my street just woke my three year old daughter up and now she’s crying, so it’s not started well for us. Selfish gits.

kelvin

We had one firework about 8pm. Was hoping for more. It is a bit damp out there though.

Poopscoop

Yep, fireworks here too along with loud drunken shouting.

chewkw
    Free Member

To the muppets in govt do these or we will vote you out!

Immediately come to mind …

Get rid of the business rate
    Establish free tax zone in all regions for science, medical, technology and manufacturing companies.
    Tax free for all start-ups for 5 to 10 years
    Tax free for all export based companies
    All patented invention gets tax free for 10 years
    Council tax freeze or reduction for 10 years (better still reduce to 20% of the current rate)
    Income tax adjustments

Many more …

Where do we go from here? What brave new worlds are we expecting? Positives, negatives? By popular demand, fill your boots on a new thread. Welcome to Brexit Britain 2020.

There will be a period of adjustments … negatives at first but after that all positives … unleashed your innovation!

Poopscoop

Sorry, want to repost this in this thread. This sums up the “unity” to come….

Farage a short while ago:

Brandishing a 50p coin, he suggests that unrepentant remainers now ressemble “flat-earthers”, even Tony Blair has accepted the battle is over and UK will not rejoin the EU.

“The fact is that the war is over. We have won…Let us celebrate like never before.”

F*** you farage and your myopic cronies. There will be a Rejoin day before I push up the daisies you ****.

tpbiker
    Free Member

So apparently farage thinks all unrepentant remainers are ‘flat earthers’

Well better that than being an absolute xxxx.

Apparently the war is over..no Nigel, if it had been a war you’d be hiding in your basement cowering like the horrible little runt you are…

As you can tell I’m not a fan..

tenfoot

Hopefully he’ll clear off and leave us in peace now. Totally sick of seeing his toady little face on the telly.

myti
    Free Member

My brexit was going pretty well (bottle of rioja and a veggie tart) till i made the mistake of going on Facebook and I’ve just had this personal message: Sky news said 70 percent of Brighton wanted to stay in Brexit? I know you’re a big remainer so how do you feel that at 11pm the UK doesn’t give a shit about what Brighton thinks? Wtf shouldn’t you be enjoying your big day not bating remainers for sport?

avdave2

A land in which moderators arrive late to the party and then close down those who got there first

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/post-brexit-britain-thread/

jag61

And so it begins… good luck everyone 🦄🦄

gauss1777
    Free Member

Get rid of the business rate
    Establish free tax zone in all regions for science, medical, technology and manufacturing companies.
    Tax free for all start-ups for 5 to 10 years
    Tax free for all export based companies
    All patented invention gets tax free for 10 years
    Council tax freeze or reduction for 10 years (better still reduce to 20% of the current rate)
    Income tax adjustments

😂😂😂

bruneep

avdave2 wrote:

A land in which moderators arrive late to the party and then close down those who got there first
    https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/post-brexit-britain-thread/

Yeah was wondering why it was closed and the a new same was opened.

Guessing because he can

crazy-legs

Hopefully he’ll clear off and leave us in peace now. Totally sick of seeing his toady little face on the telly.

Oh God, the media will have his odious features all over TV for the next 2 years as he tells everyone else what should be happening, gloats over “his” victory and generally hogs the Question Time limelight. I consider an awful lot of this shitshow the fault of a lot of the media – even the supposedly impartial BBC have got fully behind Brexit, given him and other **** several thousand percent more airtime than they deserve and given them all a lovely easy ride with no difficult questions.

Nothing left in this country appeals to me any more. Most of it appalls me.

chewkw
    Free Member

😂😂😂

😅

Cougar

A land in which moderators did what you all agreed you wanted to do in the previous 2000-page thread. I mean, I literally clock-watched to set this up despite spending half of this week in the hospital with bugger all sleep for the last two days.

I appreciate that ‘doing what you say you’re going to do’ is a bit of an alien concept in brexitworld, but still.

There’s probably a metaphor here, or something. I’m too tired to care, goodnight.

amodicumofgnar

Farming is going to be an interesting one countryside could be heading for a big shake up. I’m more on the expecting farming to be thrown to the wolves in the way every other primary and manufacturing industry has been. Dont think I’ve ever heard anyone on the conservative side talk of the NFU in the same way they talk about other unions. I think that kind of sets the scene.

Caher

Feels like 1974 again, apparently.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Wait a minute, the other thread closed and I forgot to ask – did we get a deal in the end? I got so hacked off with it all, I think I must have missed it.

chewkw
    Free Member

I’m more on the expecting farming to be thrown to the wolves …

Doesn’t have to be that way unless you have muppets in govt.

… did we get a deal in the end?

If I can recall it is ongoing so not yet.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Tonight I’m partying like it’s 1999. Oops no, I meant 1939.

kelvin

did we get a deal in the end?

We have a withdrawal agreement… tonight wouldn’t be the nothing event that it is otherwise. It means we can stay in without a say ‘till the end of 2020 (or the end of 2021 if our government changes its mind and asks for an extra year). A trade deal (or if you wanted to handle the next bit sensibly, an association agreement) needs to be negotiated next… before we leave… or it’s no deal cliff edge time all over again.

squirrelking
    Free Member

So you’re saying it’s a dead cert then?

frankconway

To infinity and beyond……

chewkw
    Free Member

Tonight I’m partying like it’s 1999. Oops no, I meant 1939.

More like … I gotta feeling (by The Black Eyed Peas) and a lot of hangover tomorrow.😄

Poopscoop

No way, no bloody way will I ever get behind Brexit. Not ever.

Conciliation can go **** itself.

Rejoin, Rejoin, Rejoin!

Poopscoop

Off to watch a movie now but wanted to be around for this bit.

Good luck all, chickens coming home to roost soon.😁

jimster01

Just saw a classic on BBC news – interviewer – so you’re glad we’re leaving Europe.
    Interviewee – yeah, no more EU ruling us, got our sovereignty back.
    Interviewer – will you notice any difference?
    Interviewee – no
    Me – WTF 🤦‍♂️

I am just so disappointed in how this country has gone down in the last few years.

Dickyboy

The last leg on c4 was pretty amusing if that’s a brexit bonus?

andytherocketeer

In the hotel, in the EU, with my complementary free beer, celebrating the fact that I’ll never have to see that Muppet’s ugly mug ever again, nor hear him give his approval of whatever the govt comes up with on BBC news. Good riddance farage.
    The journey to reaccession begins.

pondo

A land in which moderators did what you all agreed you wanted to do in the previous 2000-page thread. I mean, I literally clock-watched to set this up despite spending half of this week in the hospital with bugger all sleep for the last two days.

Can I be the first to say thank you to the old thread? I learned a lot about Brexit from it and, whilst I disagree that it should have been closed, I also appreciate that it’s a very accurate reflection of reality, that a page has been turned and the game reset.

I’m gonna give every leaver I find on social media absolutely as much crap as I can. 😀

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I appreciate that ‘doing what you say you’re going to do’ is a bit of an alien concept in brexitworld, but still.

There’s probably a metaphor here, or something. I’m too tired to care, goodnight.

Cheers Cougar.

frankconway

As with most of the ‘serious’ threads here, my understanding has been broadened and deepened so thanks to matt for starting a thread which, I’m sure, he never envisioned running to 70k+ posts.

PJM1974
    Free Member

For Christ’s sake, it’s not too late.

Get the Killfile, I promise you it’ll save your sanity. You’ll thank me in about ten years.

Drac

I’m at work tonight, heard about 30 seconds of fireworks, no pubs around here are doing Brexit parties and seen a single union flag but seen a few EU ones.

I bet when I head to SE in Northumberland tomorrow night, Saturday, that I’ll see a few union flags. I’ll be in peak gammon town, a town ran down by a conservative government that this election voted a Tory MP. 🤦🏻‍♂️

TiRed

TSA guard at Philadelphia International Airport just wished me Happy Brexit Day with a huge sense of irony. He said he loved England and was sorry for me.

Off to the plane now for a flight home to a new, smaller country. Bah!

Oh and Mrs Tired is flying the Eu flag from our front window. Nobody has thrown a brick yet.

dudeofdoom

Big Ben Bongs

Well someone did say they’ve been quiet.

Drac

Brilliant

Poopscoop

Bloody superb!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://theoutline.com/post/8605/wheres-my-elephant-theory-of-history?zd=1&zi=lazbm3uo

According to my dad, there are two major theories of history. The first, the “conspiracy theory,” holds that there exists a shadowy elite behind all the various outrages which constitute the whole grim story of mankind, deliberately manufacturing evil to suit their nefarious designs. The advantage of subscribing to the conspiracy theory is that if you were to find some way of unraveling the conspiracy, you would be able to make everything all better.

But the second theory, which my dad personally would always say he subscribed to, is the “cock-up theory,” holds that all the bad things that happen are essentially just mistakes: that it is human to err and so, ultimately, nothing can ever really improve. Incremental gains, sure, can sometimes be made, but someone is always bound to cock things up again.

My dad tended to raise the cock-up theory against my naïve attempts at teenage dinner-table Marxism, since he assumed that any sort of central state intervention — under which he included any attempt to make things better for people using politics — was likely to result in more cock-ups. So I guess the distinction between these two folk historiographies has always bugged me.

Which is why I’m going to sketch a third one. Call this the “where’s my elephant?” theory of history (I got this phrase from someone who follows me on twitter who goes by “JamesFerraroFan”).

The “where’s my elephant?” theory takes it name, of course, from The Simpsons episode in which Bart gets an elephant (Season 5, episode 17, to be precise). For those of you who don’t know the episode: Bart wins a radio contest where you have to answer a phone call with the phrase, “KBBL is going to give me something stupid.” That “something stupid” turns out to be either $10,000, or “the gag prize”: a full-grown African elephant. Much to the presenters’ surprise, Bart chooses the elephant — which is a problem for the radio station, since they don’t actually have an elephant to give him. After some attempts at negotiation (the presenters offer Principal Skinner $10,000 to go about with his pants pulled down for the rest of the school year; the presenters offer to use the $10,000 to turn Skinner into “some sort of lobster-like creature”), Bart finds himself kicked out of the radio station, screaming “where’s my elephant?”

The story is picked up by the news (Kent Brockman: “Isn’t that what we’re all asking in our own lives? Where’s my elephant? I know that’s what I’ve been asking.”), which leads to the presenters being threatened with the loss of their jobs, which leads to them to obtain the elephant for Bart. Bart has won his joke prize, but now he must deal with the joke’s consequences. Predictably, the elephant proves impossible for the Simpson family to keep — it costs them a huge amount of money and does a significant amount of damage to local real estate. In the end, they give the elephant away to an animal sanctuary. A few seasons later (in the episode in which the Simpson family hosts Apu’s wedding in their back garden), Bart is barely able to remember that he even had an elephant at all.

In short then, the “where’s my elephant?” theory holds the following:

1) If you give someone a joke option, they will take it.

2) The joke option is a (usually) a joke option for a reason, and choosing it will cause everyone a lot of problems.

3) In time, the joke will stop being funny, and people will just sort of lose interest in it.

4) No one ever learns anything.

So what evidence is there that the question “where’s my elephant?” has somehow been in the background throughout the history of our species, the driving force behind all human events?

Well, here’s one somewhat news-relevant example: On Friday, the UK will officially leave the European Union. In a sense, this event will conclude the almost four years of political turmoil that have raged in my home country following the June 2016 Brexit referendum. But of course “in a sense” is doing quite a bit of heavy lifting here. In truth, the agreement to withdraw passed by Boris Johnson’s government only really settles a few formalities about what will happen the day the UK ceases to be an EU member state, with much of Britain’s future relationship with Europe still to be agreed upon (questions of how trade will work, how the borders will work, etc.). Given the difficulties still to come, it is no surprise that the conservative Tory party — which most recently campaigned on a platform of pretty well ending Brexit, and indeed politics in general, forever — have moved to ban the word “Brexit” after January 31. Brexit will remain with us — and yet, even as it continues to happen, it will be forced into feeling like a distant memory, the after-image of some unpleasantness we no longer wish even to understand.

And perhaps it was the same with Boaty McBoatface. In hindsight, everyone should have always known that people were going to vote for Brexit — because a few months before the referendum, a poll to name a new vessel owned by the British National Environment Research Council was topped, following a social media campaign, by the suggestion “Boaty McBoatface”. In the end though, the public were denied the opportunity to call a research vessel something manifestly very silly, with the then-Science Minister Jo Johnson (Boris’s centrist, anti-Brexit brother) intervening to ensure that the boat would be called “RRS Sir David Attenborough.” “Boaty McBoatface” still became the name of something — but only one of Attenborough’s remote-controlled submersibles. As with Brexit, the Boaty McBoatface poll saw the public voting en masse for the joke option, the option no-one ever expected them to choose — in part, one suspects, simply because the people in charge had not thought to plan for what would happen if they did so.

The difference, of course, is that the Boaty McBoatface vote was trivial enough to be dismissed, but then-Prime Minister David Cameron had held the Brexit referendum in order to resolve an internecine conflict within his own party, which made that act of voting for the joke option significant enough to trigger a constitutional crisis.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 13,615 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.