• This topic has 13,621 replies, 208 voices, and was last updated 38 minutes ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 13,481 through 13,520 (of 13,622 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • reluctantjumper

All that tells me is that just over 20% of the British public are so ignorant and/or stupid enough to still think it was a good idea despite ALL the evidence to the contrary.

binners

Am I getting this right?

Years of chaos down the line the DUP and the UK government have basically accepted the Northern Ireland Protocol that Theresa May negotiated in 2018?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Yes the DUP take a while to make up their minds….

doris5000

In the words of Sam Coates from Sky News:

The British government are trying something quite hard:

They’re trying to tell the DUP that something has changed about the way Britain relates to NI and they’re trying to get rid of checks.

They’re trying to tell the EU that nothing has changed.

And they’re trying to tell the Brexiters that everything is fine and this doesn’t reflect the UK’s ability to embrace Brexit freedoms.

Not all three things can be true. And everybody inside government knows it.

Del

I imagine the generous bung of 3.3bn greases the wheels somewhat. 🙄

binners

So we now have the worst of all worlds, rendering the whole Brexit exercise utterly pointless?

Well, I never saw that coming.

kelvin

Years of chaos down the line the DUP and the UK government have basically accepted the Northern Ireland Protocol that Theresa May negotiated in 2018?

She envisioned some of these “not-brexit benefits” being UK wide though. Admittedly the end result might not have ended up that way… but these arrangements definitely do not. This is not the end though… we have decades of trying to resolve the Ireland/NI/UK/EU/RoW trade offs and special cases as we work around NI not being in the SM & CU but All Ireland trade and society being at the centre of everything for Ireland, NI, the EU and the RoW (especially North America)… even if not for the rUK (or more accurately perhaps, England). The voters in rUK might chose to ignore NI when it comes to making big decisions… but the reality is that all UK governments have to deal with other countries who do consider Ireland and the NI as of far greater importance then the people of England do. They can’t ignore NI, even when their voters choose to.

Kryton57
    kelvin

BBC Radio4 PM show describe this NI deal as “the final piece of the Brexit jigsaw falling into place” … they haven’t got a clue what’s still to come, have they.

Poopscoop

kelvin
    BBC Radio4 PM show describe this NI deal as “the final piece of the Brexit jigsaw falling into place” … they haven’t got a clue what’s still to come, have they.

Got to have been pencilled by a true believer that’s for sure!

Wonder of they know/care that we still haven’t started all the border checks yet, or the impending meds shortages and all the other sh*t about to roll in?

frankconway

Telecoms inflation-plus price increases are not driven by brexit.
    Government and Ofcom listened too much to service providers and too little to consumers.
    There is a growing lobby for the ‘plus’ element to be removed; Martin Lewis – Mr MSE – is pushing this hard.

Poopscoop

Talk of the devil!

New Brexit food checks will test Britain’s supply chains

This time, the government are really going to do it. There is no going back. They are going to push the button on a new type of trade border coming into Britain from the continent.

we know why they are going to actually implement the changes this time as well, don’t we? Continuing to salt the earth before the election! F*****rs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68135059

Sandwich

Yes the DUP take a while to make up their minds….

Dinosaurs are known to have very poor response times to external stimuli.

kelvin

and even provide an incentive for both the UK and EU to work together to lower these barriers

Ahh… a Brexit benefit… new barriers create an incentive to work to reduce those barriers…

The impact is most likely to be seen on deli counters rather than supermarket shelves.

As always. Brexit is anti-SME and local
    shops and pro globally owned large corporations. The opposite of what people voted for.

Poopscoop

Ahh… a Brexit benefit… new barriers create an incentive to work to reduce those barriers…

Yep, a long painful slog to get back… to where we were.

Except we still wont be because of the rest of the putrid sh*t burger still left for us all to consume.

The whole thing is so nihilistic/infantile.

binners

I bet this whole cobbled together Northern Ireland arrangement has fallen apart before the weekend, courtesy of the DUP.

THIS IS WHAT YOU VOTED FOR YOU ****ING BRAIN-DEAD ****S!!!

Poopscoop

binners
    I bet this whole cobbled together Northern Ireland arrangement has fallen apart before the weekend, courtesy of the DUP.

THIS IS WHAT YOU VOTED FOR YOU ****ING BRAIN-DEAD ****S!!!

Channel 4 news did make me laugh. They had a NI correspondent/ political expert on. He said that the loyalists are fixated on what they perceive to have lost but never mention the fact they are still very much in The Union etc etc.

The interviewer said, “so they are glass half empty types?”

He replies whilst laughing a little, “they can’t even see the glass frankly.”😂

binners

I saw that and he’s only saying what we’re all thinking.

The guardian have just published an article saying much the same. The opening paragraph says it all…

Two years ago, the Democratic Unionist party (DUP) collapsed the power-sharing institutions at Stormont in protest at post-Brexit trading arrangements. At the time, I chatted to somebody with insight into unionist thinking. I remarked: “Surely they’re not that stupid?” They replied: “Yes, they [bleep] are.”

The DUP is celebrating this breakthrough – it should be apologising for the lives it has ruined

I mean we all know you have to as thick as mince to be thinking Brexit was a good idea, and all the Brexiteers have spent the last 8 years (Christ, is it that long?!) proving that point, but the DUP are on another level. I’ve seen cow pats with a more evolved sense of reasoning

This whole latest Farago will never see the light of day

Caher

Not sure the DUP are really that concerned by Brexit, the much bigger elephant in the room is they’re no longer the majority in a state created just for them.

mattyfez

Not sure the DUP are really that concerned by Brexit, the much bigger elephant in the room is they’re no longer the majority in a state created just for them.

Winner winner chicken dinner! Open borders with the EU and the UK, what’s not to like? I wonder what it will do to the property value in NI over the next few years?

finephilly
    Free Member

I’m willing to put money on there being a united Ireland within 10 years. In the meantime, there must be a lot of smuggling going from Ireland–>N.I.–>British Mainland.

binners

I’m quite enjoying the rabid Brexiteers telling us that its absolutely brilliant that NI now has ‘the best of both worlds’ and in the next sentence trying to justify how that would be a frankly terrible thing for the rest of the UK.

Bob Seeley was on Five Live this morning trying unsuccessfully to square that particular circle

tjagain

Anyone else think the DUP have been sold a pup here and that this scheme will not survive contact with the EU / reality or if it does it will not deliver what the tories say?

binners

For once I agree with you completely TJ. Its notable that its the leadership of the DUP pushing this, without anyone knowing what it actually involves. All I’ve heard from the rest of them is that they’re reserving judgement until the’ve read the small print.

Once the detail comes out I expect the whole thing will fall apart on first contact with reality.

It’ll be the standard NO! from shouty DUP people, who really seem to be struggling with the whole concept of it being the 21st century

Its the unsquarable circle. It always was. If its acceptable to the DUP then no way will the EU accept it and if its acceptable to the EU then no way will the DUP accept it. Hence the going round and round in ever decreasing circles for years

kelvin

‘the best of both worlds’

How good does that sound?

Gimme, gimme, gimme!

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Sold a pup possibly but maybe a bit more nuanced than that.

1. Tories look like they fixed something (they haven’t)

2. DUP made to look like difficult gits again.

3. Leave a divided NI for Labour

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

My question is has the EU agreed to a change?

tjagain

oldman – not yet but the change is minimal I think

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I thought the EU mandated the integrity of their market? If you cancel checks on the sea border surely those checks will need to be reinstated at the land border?

No checks mean free movement of goods?

onehundredthidiot

Personally I think it’s an excuse to suspend the parliament. DUP are struggling more with Sinn Fein being in the top jobs. It’ll fall apart again hopefully the incumbent has to serve xx years in a working devolved government and not just xx years from election to election, if latter I can almost pinpoint the date DUP allows stormont to sit again.

Poopscoop

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member
    I thought the EU mandated the integrity of their market? If you cancel checks on the sea border surely those checks will need to be reinstated at the land border?

No checks mean free movement of goods?

It is and always was going to be a fudge. Luckily the EU value the GFA more than the tories/brexiteers do.

tjagain

Personally I think it’s an excuse to suspend the parliament.

Of course it was

mrmo
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s an excuse to suspend the parliament.

Also the perfect chance to extract some more money.

dudeofdoom

FTFY

Also the perfect chance to extract extort some more money.

dudeofdoom

BTW wasn’t it the anniversary yesterday 🙂

Brexit Update

Still,never gonna find out which law my fellow countryman were so appalled by they had to leave the eu or a quantifiable Brexit benefit for the masses that offsets the losses 🙂

dudeofdoom

They are still pedalling the vaccine rollout as a benefit 🙁

kimbers

nicely summed up here

fadda

They are still pedalling the vaccine rollout as a benefit 🙁

Didn’t we get overtaken by some of the EU anyway?  Think we were only temporarily the bestest ones…

kelvin

Yup… we got out of the gate first… using a vaccine developed and produced in the EU and approved using the EU rules we were still operating under.

Edukator
    Free Member

I was stupid enough to waste time fact checking some of that Brexit update guff. I stopped at London being the best place in the world to live. Car production is down year on year every year since 2016. Growth rate ? Well if you cherry pick favourable dates and the worst possible reference countries for comparison it might look good, but now look at GDP per capita and Germany is way ahead even if it’s not growing. Innovation? Choose the the most favourable poll with contested criteria and you win, stick to what innovation really means and you end up behind Belgium.

https://fr.finance.yahoo.com/news/25-most-innovative-economies-2024-203515105.html?guccounter=1

When spin = bollocks.

Viewing 40 posts - 13,481 through 13,520 (of 13,622 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.