• This topic has 13,621 replies, 208 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 10,921 through 10,960 (of 13,622 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • martinhutch

Leave voters.

Now, that’s not fair. Some of them were cynical opportunists.

gardentiger
    Free Member

Now, that’s not fair. Some of them were cynical opportunists.

You’re absolutely right. I must learn to watch my p’s and q’s.

binners

Watching Question Time last night was interesting. It was from Belfast and I’ve never seen an audience so angry

And with good reason. There can be no starker illustration of the absolute folly of Brexit than the present situation in NI. But then it was always going to be like that. The Good Friday Agreement is, was and always will be completely incompatible with the whole principle of Brexit and the NI protocol

The audience was completely divided. On the one hand you have those that are reasonably happy as they are enjoying the advantages of essentially remaining in the Customs Union and Single Market. And who can blame them? The fact that NI trade is prospering stands as daily evidence of the utter stupidity of this whole ludicrous project.

Then you’ve got the permanently irate idiots of the DUP who still can’t seem to accept that Boris Johnson sold them down the river for the sake of Brexit. It was pointed out to them repeatedly that Theresa May negotiated a deal that addressed their concerns but they voted against it, then they voted for Johnsons deal, complete with border down the Irish Sea

God knows where we go from here. Unilaterally ripping up deals? The collapse of the GFA?

But Northern Ireland is presently a right mess, politically, and that is entirely down to Boris Johnson and his band of Brexiteers. The irony of that being that they don’t actually give a flying ****!

gardentiger
    Free Member

But Northern Ireland is presently a right mess, politically, and that is entirely down to Boris Johnson and his band of Brexiteers.

Nature abhors a vacuum…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

God knows where we go from here.

United Ireland.
    Independent Scotland.

gardentiger
    Free Member

United Ireland.
    Independent Scotland.

Ultimately yes. Probably.

But how much blood will be spilt in the interim?

And for what?

Greybeard
    Free Member

the permanently irate idiots of the DUP who still can’t seem to accept that Boris Johnson sold them down the river for the sake of Brexit

I could be completely wrong (I’ve tried to understand Irish politics but don’t always succeed) but it looks to me as if the DUP voted for Brexit specifically to screw up the GFA and strengthen border controls between NI and Éire.

binners

I think you’re crediting them with too much intelligence there.

gardentiger
    Free Member

it looks to me as if the DUP voted for Brexit specifically to screw up the GFA and strengthen border controls between NI and Éire

In a sense that politics is not real ‘yes’. The reality that results is always, seemingly, a surprise to the nutjobs and idiots. Despite having had it pointed out to them beforehand.

Such is life. If a majority of people can be duped into believing inevitable consequences are ‘Project Fear’ then we are ****ed.

For example- what do you think happens when you turn your back on frictionless trade with your closest neighbours? And ones that form a bloc of 27 countries with a combined supply and demand that far exceeds your own?

You don’t need to be a professor of economics to work that one out.

greyspoke
    Free Member

The Good Friday Agreement is, was and always will be completely incompatible with the whole principle of Brexit and the NI protocol

The GFA is incompatible with a hard Brexit. The NI protocol is compatible with the GFA, so the EU believes. The impossible triangle consists of the protocol, the Brexit the UK negotiated and a UK – wide free trade zone. Pick any two.

gardentiger
    Free Member

Pick any two.

Johnson struggles to pick his nose. Ask Carrie – if you can find her.

Edukator
    Free Member

As an Anglo/Irish dual, I now have more rights than anyone else in Europe.

Which rights do you have over say Anglo/French dual? Or Canadian/French dual?

dudeofdoom

Meh,well it’s been over a month since I last drove as my U.K. driving licence isn’t recognised in Spain and I can’t take a driving test as you need a residency to hold a licence.(that was also supposed to to be in days err a month ago).

It’s an interesting perspective, these little gotchas.

tjagain

Edukator – residence rights in the UK and freedom of movement into the UK – because of the UK / Ireland common travel area

Edukator
    Free Member

I have that as Anglo/French, TJ. And a French/Canadian would have fredom of movement in Canada and the EU which is EU plus one country other too.

Any dual Anglo/Somewhere in EU give you the same rights as dual UK/Irish so I’m intrigued by these extra UK/Irish rights as opposed to any other UK/European dual, hence the question in my last post.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I doubt that very much, as they where Royal Single regiment and not SAS. </pedant>

🤔

dissonance

if the DUP voted for Brexit specifically to screw up the GFA and strengthen border controls between NI and Éire.

The charitable interpretation is they saw that with the increasing blurred border if we remained inside the EU that long term trend being inevitably to a reunited Ireland and so hoped the brexit would manage to disrupt it.
    The less charitable is they are a bunch of creationist nutcases whose only modern political idea was the cash for ashes corruption.

tjagain

Edukator – its freedom of movement without even needing a passport Look up the ireland / Uk common travel area. An irish passport gives you more rights.

martinhutch

Beep, boop, Sterling crisis incoming, right on cue!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-30/sterling-risks-existential-crisis-with-em-parallels-bofa-says

Stagflation, Oil Crisis, Sterling Crisis, Trade Crisis

What else do we need to complete the ‘Sick Man of Europe’ 70s collection? Mass unemployment, I guess, but that’s a bit further down the track.

tjagain

We do have mass unemployment. Its just hidden by zero hours contracts and throwing folk of benefits

martinhutch

But it’s OK, number five on the list of potential Brexit benefits appears to be derestricted ebikes.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1618395/Brexit-news-Boris-Johnson-2000-ideas-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-suggestions-EU-rules-update

The other stuff also appears to be pesky regulations that stop people dying, stuffing up the environment, or hurting other people, or being worked to death or paid properly. And hoovers.

No mention of banana bendiness though, so I’m disappointed.

kelvin

Vacuum cleaners

kelvin

🤡

Edukator
    Free Member

Edukator – its freedom of movement without even needing a passport Look up the ireland / Uk common travel area. An Irish passport gives you more rights.

But Irish People do need a passport card or a Passport book to travel in the EU and NI citizens need a UK passport. The Irish passport card costs £35 and only lasts 5 years max or as long as the passport book so is at least as expensive as a full French passport per year.

I would argue that EU citizens who can travel the whole Shengen/EU on a free identity card have greater freedom of movement.

dudeofdoom

The other stuff also appears to be pesky regulations that stop people dying, stuffing up the environment, or hurting other people, or being worked to death or paid properly. And hoovers.

Yep, the vacuum cleaner seems an unhealthy obsession and the fracking, I can’t believe that people woke up and put an x in the leave box as fracking was on their mind or they wanted a faster ebike.

Not sure they’ll be happy with the ebikers ripping around at 40mph+ everywhere and you could always previously get one without losing all your working rights.

molgrips
    Free Member

Point 7 in that list – remove benefits for agency workers?!

What the actual ****?!

kelvin

You seem surprised. You shouldn’t be.

Harry_the_Spider

6 years… and this is the best that these arseholes can come up with?

More powerful vacuum cleaners.

kelvin

We already have more powerful vacuum cleaners than we had before the stricter environmental regs were introduced… they want the regs changed to allow for less efficient ones… ie. ones that use more power, rather than have a more powerful action. Heavens knows why. Let’s just burn the planet to teach those pesky euro types that they can’t push us around.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Increase company profits; make the rich richer; make the poor poorer; sod the environment… What a list of the top 9 Brexit benefits.

Cougar

Heavens knows why.

Because we don’t like being told what to do by foreigners.

All the anti-EU sentiment really is that simple. Even if regulations are in our best interests; even if we aren’t actually being told what to do by foreigners; even if in fact it is – well, was – us telling foreigners what to do. It doesn’t have to have any bearing in reality or rationality. Incandescent lightbulbs, bananas of questionable bentness, vacuum cleaners, pounds and ounces, passport colours, it’s all their fault. It’ll be leaded fuel and bloody shillings next, mark my words.

You could tell people that Brussels has told us not to drink bleach and the gammon flag-shagger quarterwits would be down at Wilco tomorrow stripping the shelves clean of own-brand Domestos for no other reason than just to be ****ing contrary.

dudeofdoom

All the anti-EU sentiment really is that simple. Even if regulations are in our best interests; even if we aren’t actually being told what to do by foreigners; even if in fact it is – well, was – us telling foreigners what to do. It doesn’t have to have any bearing in reality or rationality.

Yep it’s a bit sad.

The fact they could only pick the best 9 out of 2000 as well, couldn’t even round it up tells you something of the er quality of the suggestions and actually having to ‘fish’ for benefits after you persuaded the people to vote for it would ring alarm bells.

Still flags out and wave.

dudeofdoom

To me the culmination of Brexit is that it is cloaking the U.K. in a mist of lies and the creation of a fantasy reality/history.

The years I lay in bed wanting to leave the EU so I could have an easier holiday pay calculation (said no one):-)

I really can’t get over something that most companies online payroll provider handles is even a ‘thing’.

(We managed it to do it when I worked in a shoe factory running the mainframe payroll software back in the day,printing payslips was fun).

frankconway

From rees smogg’s list up there ^^^
    Number 9 – reduce requirements for electrical safety testing, including PAT.
    H&S problem right there with added implications for negligence and corporate manslaughter.
    What a half-wit.

kelvin
    kelvin

Boris Johnson Broke Britain…

gardentiger
    Free Member

You could tell people that Brussels has told us not to drink bleach and the gammon flag-shagger quarterwits would be down at Wilco tomorrow stripping the shelves clean of own-brand Domestos for no other reason than just to be ****ing contrary.

That really is rather well put.

dudeofdoom

TBH joining the Single Market would be a Brexit benefit as we couldn’t do it before(by virtue of er already being in it 🙂

In the long term pretty much expecting the U.K. to do something but it won’t be sold as a rejoining, a lot of Brexit pain goes away with it.

H&S problem right there with added implications for negligence and corporate manslaughter.
    What a half-wit.

That’s the issue with the ebike and van thing as well TBh.

The electrical safety stuff isn’t even eu it’s a U.K. thing.

They may as well just close down the HSE and remove any requirements of the necessity of driving licences and drivers hours etc just have a big free for all.

Their voters love a health and safety ‘gorn mad’ when it’s not their kids dying in silly avoidable work accidents,HSE regs usually come in after someone’s proved the need for em.

TLDR ooh look a squirrel.

gardentiger
    Free Member

It’s also a pity no one thought of that before the referendum, a few bleach-related absences from the polling booth might have tipped the balance in favour of us grownups. 🤦

And no one would have realised they were in need of medical attention either – bright red and foaming at the mouth being normal for them. 🤣

igm

Have we done the Tobias Elwood advocating re-joining the single market / customs union as a solution to cost of living, queues at Dover and The NI protocol yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 10,921 through 10,960 (of 13,622 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.