Viewing 40 posts - 10,881 through 10,920 (of 13,537 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • kelvin

Her message about the children of NI not wanting yo go back to the Troubles their parents lived through is very valid.

A point lost on my Brexity parents. Dad was in the RAF, and occasionally went over their for a day or two, and I remember my mum being terrified for him.

It wasn’t lost on my mum. She remembers the stories that my Dad (also RAF) came back with from his stints there. She’s an elderly Daily Mail reader who voted remain… because of his (and her) experiences of not just NI, but also Germany, Cyprus etc.

binners

I spent a lot of time over there during ‘The Troubles’ in South Armagh and Derry and whats been patently obvious from day one is that this lot have not the remotest understanding of what the reality of it was like for people

They are disrespecting all parties involved with their casual dismissive attitude to an incredibly hard won peace.

Its crazy that people in Brussels and Washington are more concerned about peace in Northern Ireland than those charged with maintaining that peace in Westminster

That in itself shows just how unfit for office this lot are

matt_outandabout

Its crazy that people in Brussels and Washington are more concerned about peace in Northern Ireland than those charged with maintaining that peace in Westminster

That in itself shows just how unfit for office this lot are

It does.

We have old (university) friends over in NI, and they just have nothing positive to say. They feel abandoned by Westminster, that Stormont is just unable to get a grip, and worry for the future. His family is from Cork, and they have for the first time in a generation started speaking about maybe moving back to Ireland.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

I see Lord Frost is doubling down and seeing if he can insult the Americans a bit more, because everything else is going so well, lets really piss them off too

In other news Stanley Johnson has just got French citizenship so he can carry on enjoying the rights his son just removed from everyone else. Which is nice…

kelvin

The rich don’t need rights… they have the means. Freedom of movement gave us plebs access to other countries without having to earn loads, or be a multiple property owner. I know a police officer who left the force here (after getting fed up of dealing with the sexism)… rented a cheap flat in France… put her daughter in the local school… and got a low paid temporary job to keep her and her youngster ticking over. She’s now an English teacher there, and her daughter is at University in another EU country. It’s normal people like them that benefitted from FoM… the likes of Johnson Sr, who let’s face it doesn’t even need to work… will always have opportunities all over the world.

dudeofdoom

The rich don’t need rights… they have the means. Freedom of movement gave us plebs access to other countries without having to earn loads, or be a multiple property owner.

Yep, I’ve had a life in which I’ve seen the opportunities i’ve had the luck to take advantage of removed.

Free Nursury school,School Milk,free further education(they paid you as well)and cheap houses and living/working in Spain.

I think it stinks.

I think you need a couple of grand a month and health insurance to now retire here or pony up 500k€ In housing for a golden visa.

dudeofdoom

As for the Troubles, I remember leaving Marks and Spencer’s (may even be C&A- had the large nice internal staircase for the old Bristolians)in Bristol due to a bomb warning and remember the Park St Wimpy getting it’s windows blown out by a bomb nearby, even Bath got that arcade blown up.

It’s easily forgotten how it used to be, I also remember sas soldiers getting pulled out a car and beaten to death by a crowd(in the news).

It was a different world then thou so I’m not sure it’s suddenly going to descend into those times again but some people just need something they can use to cause mischief.

grahamh
    Free Member

I also remember sas soldiers getting pulled out a car and beaten to death by a crowd(in the news).

I doubt that very much, as they where Royal Single regiment and not SAS. </pedant>

dudeofdoom

Yep your right,but remember I’m remembering this from my memories at the time as on the tv news and reported sun at the time it was happening.

A quick google brings up

https://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.co.uk/25th-anniversary-soldiers-dragged-from-car-and-murdered-belfast/

Sends a shiver down my spine reading all the details.

grahamh
    Free Member

Colleges of my sisters ex, who was deployed to NI at the time.

mrdobermann
    Free Member

Is it true that if an SAS member is killed in action they are reported as being from their original regiment rather than SAS?

doomanic

I remember my mum checking under the car every time she went anywhere while my dad was doing a 2 year tour in NI.

matt_outandabout

A thought of returning to violence in NI is worrying.
    It is though just the cherry on the sh*te cake that is brexit. The ‘unintended’ and ‘unexpected’ consequences of a policy of isolation, withdrawal from practical systems and political collaboration that worked (albeit not perfectly) for over 40 years. The lies, the lack of care, lack of understanding and selfishness that is the brexit process was very immediate. The ongoing consequences are a slower, stronger and more harmful process.
    Who was it who said brexit is the mistake of a generation?

matt_outandabout

To also add: we’ve a minister and department for brexit opportunity.

Where do I find thier output – the opportunity they are being paid to promote and which I was promised?

MoreCashThanDash

Where do I find thier output – the opportunity they are being paid to promote and which I was promised?

He’s busy putting notes on the desks of civil servants who are working from home delivering the shit the government have promised.

Cannot wait for him to appear before the Public Accounts Committee to justify the work of his department 😎

cchris2lou

Aged 20, wanting to improve my english, found a job in a hôtel restaurant next to Dartford bridge, jumped in the car drove all day, ferry et voilà. Found my Wife, 3 Kids, bought small flat, house and bigger house. 3 différent jobs over 20 years. Only once had a racism incident.
    Moved back to France in 2017.

Impossible now thanks to Brexit

Sandwich

behind the scenes, Johnson always quietly folds when actually faced with tough choices with real world consequences

Just like Thatcher then!

Flaperon

The short-sightedness and attitude of “well, it doesn’t bother me” from the people responsible for negotiating the agreement was astounding. Thanks to the incompetence of Grant Shapps, I cannot work legally anywhere in Europe because my professional qualifications are no longer recognised. Conversely, my job in the UK can be taken quite cheerfully by an EU citizen.

It would have take just a tiny bit of effort on his part to ensure that our qualifications are reflected both ways, but he was too lazy to do it.

I will never forgive this Government, the ministers, and above all the racist and/or elderly ignorant pricks that voted for it in the first place.

dudeofdoom

It would have take just a tiny bit of effort on his part to ensure that our qualifications are reflected both ways, but he was too lazy to do it.

Ah details, the public don’t want details 🙂

It’s almost like they did it to keep you in.

kelvin

I like Nancy Pelosi.

It needs to be made very clear that it’s not just her stating her own personal position…

dovebiker

Some might forget the close link between domestic terrorism, organised crime and smuggling between the north and the south when you have differing tax regimes for things like petrol, tobacco and any other commodity that can be illicitly traded. Ditching the Protocol and any tax/duty harmonisation means that whole can of worms gets opened again.

dudeofdoom

TBH it’s what irks me that you need to be in something ‘like’ the SM and CU to really make everything work without causing the pain that has been/going to be inflected.

Lots of pain for a few cheap lamb cuts an steaks an blue passports and I doubt if the funding that was promised to replace the eu schemes will ever been seen at the levels it was.

molgrips
    Free Member

I doubt if the funding that was promised to replace the eu schemes will ever been seen at the levels it was.

Of course it won’t. This is what amazes me. People thought that Tories would invest in their areas. That’s just not what Tories do, it’s not what they’re about. Anyone who knows the first thing about politics would know that.

dudeofdoom

Interesting article on ta interweb bout our bubbles

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61408745

In the UK, the number of people existing solely in just tiny political echo chambers online are “not nothing, but the figures are smaller than you might think”.
    The estimate, he says, “is that 5% of UK internet users are in a left wing echo chamber, and 2% in a right wing echo chamber,” but he says this has to be put in the context that “26% of internet users in the UK have not accessed any online news at all in the past week”.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

But molgrips, the vast bulk of the populace know nothing about actual policies, or inter state relations, or intra state governance… and don’t care. They are easily lead, and do not think. As some unpleasant Austrian once pointed out.

The single opportunity so far is that of the useless Minister for Victorian Workhouse Reintroduction getting a new title.

Much like the Minister of Levelling Up. Do let us know how that one is going, Gove.

dudeofdoom

This space intentionally left blank

Well may as well put an interesting fact that RM has a cock on his family coat of arms.

dudeofdoom

Ah don’t forget the covid vaccination roll out.

It’s a lie but what’s another to friends.

Truth is always the first casualty of ‘war’.

intheborders
    Free Member

The rich don’t need rights… they have the means.

Yep, and applies to the majority of their life – see abortion, rich women can always get a safe abortion.

And to agree with the FOM for ordinary folk – early in 2000 we’d an issue at work in our German business unit. It needed someone with ‘character’ to go over and ‘sort it’.

They asked me whether I would. Within 2 months I’d rented a house, personally as we didn’t like the offer of a company flat and wanted a garden (OH and 1 y/o), and moved with everything in the back of a wagon, including my motorbike. UK house emptied on the Monday, they got the ferry and we met them there on the Wednesday and moved in.

Neither I nor the company had to ask anyone for ‘permission’.

And when I’d sorted it out, just moved back.

Now, this would need a lot of effort on the part of the company to sort out, and quite frankly, they’d just employ an EU27 passport holder to do it instead.

Leaving note – an EU27 passport holder now has more rights in both the EU and UK than I have. Why? Because the idiots not only voted to remove my FOM, they then voted for a hard-right Govt that can now remove my right to a UK passport.

dudeofdoom

I was actually at a Brit enclave in Spain yesterday idly wondering about all the people that had sold up and moved over without the requirement for health insurance and a minimal monthly income.

No more just rocking up moving in and signing on the ‘padron’.

FOM was great tbh, you got the rights without needing a big wedge.

dudeofdoom

Tbh there were regs and rules but the amounts required to fulfil them were way less than now.

And even in my notsobrit area they are fining people for driving on U.K. licences(not tourists- residents or if you put yourself on the padron ).

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Load of lies or enemies of the people? What are your thoughts?

Emails

tjagain

Riiding round the highlands this week its obvious how many cafes and hotels are running reduced service or hours for lack of staff. One chap said £14 per hour was being advertised for cleaners and still trouble recruiting

trailmonkey

One chap said £14 per hour was being advertised for cleaners

So proof that Brexit will increase wages and opportunities then ?

** I voted remain and still think that Brexit is the worst thing that has happened in my lifetime but there’s little point using a positive to try and prove a negative**

kelvin

Paying someone that doesn’t exist an imaginary wage doesn’t prove much. Many bits of the UK will really struggle for staff this summer. Rural areas of Scotland in particular. Not paying anyone anything, because there is no one doing the job, isn’t exactly going to help the local economy.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

We are about to see a good old fashioned recession… this will to some degree adjust the labour market (in an unpleasant way)

Demand on all goods even food is dropping at a phenomenal rate. If we all cut back by even 10% then the impact is huge. All the indicators are there, even Rushi cant borrow his way out of this one.

Apparently nothing to do with Brexit.

dovebiker

Lots of businesses on the islands still struggling to recruit hospitality staff this far into the season. One cafe has closed and another running reduced hours due to lack of staff. The whole issue of cleaners/housekeepers on the islands is increasingly contentious – there was a bit of a stooshie on the local FB page when a non-islander was looking for someone to clean their rental when there’s an absolute dearth of long-term rental accommodation for locals such as teachers and nurses. Besides, £250/weekend for 6 months of cleaning up some else’s shit is hardly rolling in it. I trade at the local market – everyone’s sales are way down in comparison to last year.

mrmo
    Free Member

Leaving note – an EU27 passport holder now has more rights in both the EU and UK than I have. Why? Because the idiots not only voted to remove my FOM, they then voted for a hard-right Govt that can now remove my right to a UK passport.

As an Anglo/Irish dual, I now have more rights than anyone else in Europe. Now remind me who are the idiots.

tjagain

Pub i am in tight now also is on reduced service for lack of staff

Direct tesult of brexit cos these highland pubs ran for years on eu staff ongap years. Even with good wages being offered tbey just cannot get staff

doomanic

Doesn’t seem to have affected the amount you appear to have drunk…

gardentiger
    Free Member

Now remind me who are the idiots.

Leave voters.

Viewing 40 posts - 10,881 through 10,920 (of 13,537 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.