• This topic has 13,621 replies, 208 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 10,841 through 10,880 (of 13,622 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • kimbers

I see Truss has said the government will chuck out the NIP for the 127th time

Im sure if they keep repeating the threat over and over the EU will suddenly start taking them seriously

binners

Don’t be so sure. Latest polling shows that the majority of people in Norn Ireland now think the NIP has been a positive thing for the NI economy (of course it has! Its essentially kept them in the EU!) and those that don’t are largely bowler-hatted dinosaurs who still live in the 19th century and are deluded and thick enough to think that Tories in Westminster actually give a flying **** about them.

So now would be the perfect moment for them to actually do it

martinhutch

atest polling shows that the majority of people in Norn Ireland now think the NIP has been a positive thing for the NI economy

So much so that arguably they gave it a mandate at elections last week. But obviously, will of the people and all that.

kelvin

Really is worth following the Bloomberg accounts and staff…

martinhutch

Looks like the UK will be back to eating cold beans out of a can rather than feasting on Johnson’s ‘oven-ready deal’.

binners

I know that it’s John Redwood and he’s absolutely hatstand, but what alternative universe do these morons inhabit?

This ‘oven-ready’ deal was apparently absolutely bloody brilliant when they all voted for it

When it comes down to it, I don’t think even this lot are stupid enough to start a full blown trade war with the EU while also really pissing off the US, in the present economic climate

Actually… they are that stupid. They’re going to do it, aren’t they?

The headbangers are finally going to get their ‘No Deal’ Brexit, after all

kelvin

They’re going to do it, aren’t they?

Not yet. But they will promise to do it when they need to stir up the English electorate to come out to vote for them and keep them in power. Expect more campaign leaflets with a Union Flag next to their candidate’s name, and the European flag next to the name of their main opponent. Draw up the battle lines… “we’re on your side”.

bigrich

the norn iron protocol requires the human rights act to be law in the UK. unfortunately, the government are also tearing that up, because freedom or something.

mrmo
    Free Member

Expect more campaign leaflets with a Union Flag next to their candidate’s name,

Be nice for a bit of honesty and drop the union flag and replace it with cross of st george. The Toradh are little more than the EDL now.

binners

It looks like the US is just having a word of the ‘don’t be a dick’ type to Johnson about the NIP

On the Guardian now:

President Biden is urging Boris Johnson not to abandon the Northern Ireland protocol, the Times reports. It says:

The White House made clear its opposition to the strategy in its first public comments since the Times revealed that ministers had given up on talks with Brussels and planned to introduce legislation scrapping large parts of the controversial protocol.

‘The best path forward is a pragmatic one that requires courage, co-operation and leadership,’ a spokeswoman for the White House said. ‘We urge the parties to continue engaging in dialogue to resolve differences and bring negotiations to a successful conclusion.’

Northwind

binners

requires courage, co-operation and leadership,

Oh dear

kelvin

Still true…

dudeofdoom

The headbangers are finally going to get their ‘No Deal’ Brexit, after all

TBH what did the ‘deal’ actually deliver and was it in reality that great compared to no deal.

dudeofdoom

but what alternative universe do these morons inhabit?

One that serves their purposes and I don’t think it’s alternative.

reluctantjumper

Looks like the UK will be back to eating cold beans out of a can rather than feasting on Johnson’s ‘oven-ready deal’.

Sadly I’ve always though that we need to hit absolute rock bottom before the nutters will admit that Brexit is a terrible idea and that we should reverse as much of it as possible. That looks to be the path we are taking. Hopefully it’ll all play out over a few weeks, not drag on for months.

Johnson revokes the NI agreement.
    The EU immediately invoke the penalty clauses.
    Goods movements stop.
    The current govt are made to look absolute fools.
    Sense is finally found and the long journey to somewhere near where we were before the vote is started.

What is likely to happen is we get to the point where goods movements grind to a halt only for the Gammons to rise up saying it’s ‘The nasty EU’s fault!” and we drag on like that for the next decade.

I feel sick just thinking about it all.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m limited in what I can do on a huge project at work, because I’m not an EU citizen any more.

mrmo
    Free Member

What is likely to happen is we get to the point where goods movements grind to a halt only for the Gammons to rise up saying it’s ‘The nasty EU’s fault!” and we drag on like that for the next decade.

I feel sick just thinking about it all.

I am not sure you want to hear this, but I am expecting it to get far worse yet. The US paymasters are looking for their paydays. The NHS needs to be sold off, with the scrapping of Human rights expect the death penalty to reappear and obviously abortion rights need to be scrapped.

intheborders
    Free Member

I am not sure you want to hear this, but I am expecting it to get far worse yet. The US paymasters are looking for their paydays. The NHS needs to be sold off, with the scrapping of Human rights expect the death penalty to reappear and obviously abortion rights need to be scrapped.

This.

I’ve been predicting that Capital Punishment will be the headline policy at the next General Election for a while now.

If anyone is personally confronted by someone wanting Human Rights legislation scrapped, just ask them which of theirs they’re looking forward to losing.

matt_outandabout

I’m limited in what I can do on a huge project at work, because I’m not an EU citizen any more.

Indeed. I had an online seminar yesterday for a project we wrote pilot, resources and training for under Erasmus+ It’s now a huge round 2 Erasmus+ project working with thousands in education across Europe – and we’re not involved and needing to backfill that lost income with the replacement for Erasmus+.
    Oh wait. That’s right. There isn’t a replacement.

And sadly I also am coming round too thinking that we may see 20 years of sh*t economy and lack of opportunity, while a generation who voted out die off, before some bright spark suggests European Union wasn’t that bad really and perhaps we should join…

dudeofdoom

It can get worse than that thou,I’m physically in the EU but can’t work in other eu countries other than my country of residence.

I don’t need to so it’s not affected me but there are people it affects.

There’s no escape from the Benefits of Brexit.

dudeofdoom

And sadly I also am coming round too thinking that we may see 20 years of sh*t economy and lack of opportunity, while a generation who voted out die off, before some bright spark suggests European Union wasn’t that bad really and perhaps we should join…

You don’t need to re-join thou,just sign up to agree to a few things.
    SM and FOM, and it will probably end up being sold as a Brexit benefit in 2034.

binners

I’ve been predicting that Capital Punishment will be the headline policy at the next General Election for a while now.

I’ve been saying the same. Because it is surely the logical destination for their culture war. They’re saving this for when things are really bad with the cost of living crisis etc.

I expect them to offer a referendum on the return of capital punishment as a central part of the next election and they’ll then launch a campaign of hate that will make the Brexit campaign look civilised and honest in comparison. A referendum they’ll win, obviously, after vilifying any objectors as hand wringing, namby-pamby liberal elite who take the side of murderers and rapists

I bet Priti Patel goes misty-eyed at the prospect of signing actual death warrants

dudeofdoom

I’ve mentioned it in cross-threads but the issue with Driving licences in Spain has thrown up an interesting look at how selfish people actually are with Brexit and ‘being all right Jack’ and it’s not the ones you’d think.

A number of people cannot now exchange a U.K. driving licence for a Spanish one, in theory once you are resident here you have 6 months to do it but before Brexit it wasn’t always being applied and they extended cut-offs till May 30.

Cue people asking advice on the situation via the Spanish Citizens Advice Bureau,similar to the U.K. one on Facebook.

Result tons of pile on over how you should have done it and you knew it has coming, it’s all your fault, I did mine in 2 days etc Ad infinitum.

Not noticing and ignoring the moderators announcing that you do not know peoples circumstances and very grumpy moderators.

People are still awaiting residency and without residency they won’t issue you with a driving licence.

I can’t see a reason you’d be even looking at the Spanish CAB unless your resident in Spain but kicking people when they are down and espousing how you did it x years ago and it’s all your fault.

I can only assume there seems to be a strain of gammonic U.K. immigrants in Spain.

Can they be returned under the withdrawal agreement 🙂

gardentiger
    Free Member

It’s almost as though the gammony loudmouths that this ‘government’ appeal to just like picking fights for their own sake. Not actual fights where you might get hurt, obvs, but culture war type fights where they can act the big man whilst concealing the big yellow streak down their backs.

A government designed to appeal to nationalist knuckle draggers.

Ace.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

While Britain (or UK or The Royal Republican Freestate of Greater Rutland or whatever we end up being called) is just a inconvenience to the EU, it (we) will be left dangling and made to perform for “treats”.

It will take the die off of one, possibly two generations before we are compos mentis enough to effectively “rejoin” and for the EU citizens and governments to “forget” how we behaved.

Didn’t we try to join the common market three times but were rejected twice as it was thought we would just be divisive trouble makers?

nickc

Turns out customs borders are a massive pain in the arse for everyone – If only someone had told them at the time, eh?

binners

I thought that borders weren’t an issue any more, because…erm… technology?

mrmo
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-61412523

Looks like the Tories have an alternative use for the poor, gladiators, next bring back public executions for Saturday entertainment.

mrmo
    Free Member

People are still awaiting residency and without residency they won’t issue you with a driving licence.

Thanks, I hadn’t realised there was an issue with that, which might offer a defence for some.

mrmo
    Free Member

A referendum they’ll win, obviously, after vilifying any objectors as hand wringing, namby-pamby liberal elite who take the side of murderers and rapists

As someone of Irish heritage I am more than aware of what this will mean, look at those Irish fitted up for Guildford or Birmingham, they would have been long dead. Tell me that the Met is trustworthy not to fit up people for crimes today.

gardentiger
    Free Member

Didn’t we try to join the common market three times but were rejected twice as it was thought we would just be divisive trouble makers?

A lot of that was De Gaulle being, well, De Gaulle. He actually made Harold MacMillan cry at one point. Then took the piss by telling an audience he wanted to say “Ne pleurer pas, m’lord”.

But yes, we had to accept not to be a pain in the arse when it came to the ‘special relationship’ with the US and any colonial pretensions we may have still been nursing.

The ‘special relationship’ did mean something so long as the US wanted the UK as an unsinkable aircraft carrier and a base for polaris subs.

Now it is the EU that has a better relationship with the US and ‘we’ look like a bunch of prats. Which ‘we’ are.

binners

Hence all Johnson’s posturing over Ukraine. He has to maintain the impression with the gammons that ‘we’ are not now a complete irrelevance, when that’s exactly what ‘we’ are.

The international equivalent of Sleepy Pastures, retirement home for the terminally bewildered

gardentiger
    Free Member

The international equivalent of Sleepy Pastures, retirement home for the terminally bewildered

It’s a good analogy because many dementia sufferers can remember what happened 80 years ago, but not what happened more recently.

🤔

kelvin

Have we all seen the special final episode of Derry Girls now? Very, very good. No spoilers here though (and you need to watch all three series first). Anyway…

gardentiger
    Free Member

^^^

Basically the UK (the country where I live) being told to **** off and grow up by the US.

What a time to be alive.

pondo

I like Nancy Pelosi. 😀

Greybeard
    Free Member

while a generation who voted out die off,

For the record, I’m part of that generation, and I voted Remain, and almost everybody I know of my age voted Remain (apart from one idiot, an acquaintance not a friend, who has a house in France he used to spend 5 months a year in, and voted Leave)

martinhutch

Basically the UK (the country where I live) being told to **** off and grow up by the US.

What a time to be alive.

As a UK Citizen, I approve this message. 🙂

binners

They’re just letting it be known that the English Exceptionalism of the Brexiteers is going down no better in Washington than it is in Brussels.

I’m sure that they’re also aware that despite all the posturing, when it comes down to it, behind the scenes, Johnson always quietly folds when actually faced with tough choices with real world consequences, no matter how much bellicose tub-thumping he’s very publicly done prior to it.

They’ve been threatening to trigger article 16 every week since they signed the withdrawal agreement. Even Instgram Liz’s statement the other day was essentially saying ‘we really will do something! Honest! I’m here making a statement in parliament about it and everyfink!’

I’m sure the EU collectively sighed and said ‘yeah… whatever….’, then went about their business doing grown-up stuff

MoreCashThanDash

Her message about the children of NI not wanting yo go back to the Troubles their parents lived through is very valid.

A point lost on my Brexity parents. Dad was in the RAF, and occasionally went over their for a day or two, and I remember my mum being terrified for him.

Viewing 40 posts - 10,841 through 10,880 (of 13,622 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.