Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 13,618 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • dudeofdoom

In or out of the EU it’s always the EU’s fault 🙂

Anyway there’s no such thing as no deal it’s ’Australian Style deal’,they’re way ahead of you all and have already starting preparing,mobile concrete barriers and acknowledging the distinct lack of frictionless trade.

Get in early and get the bad news out or rebrand.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

They’ll try to successfully continue to spin it as the EU’s fault, but the blame for this upcoming economic suicide will lie firmly wherever the press and electorate fancy.

ftfy

Cougar

The EU says a promise isn’t good enough

Were you surprised? I was surprised.

tjagain

No deal was always what Johnsons paymasters wanted. It was only ever going to go that way.

somafunk

No visas for low skilled workers

Well….off the top of my head that stupendous idea will totally **** a number of business i know of in Dumfries & Galloway, from care homes, fish processing, food manufacturing, farming, hospitality/ local shops etc…etc.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said the new system would mean “the brightest and the best will be able to come to the United Kingdom”.

As long as the job pays more than £25,600

Ive never earned anywhere near that amount ffsake, Dya think the shit will hit the fan/barn door/face before we leave at the end of the year or at some point in the next 9 months?, for some reason September is raising my spidey sense hackles, i hope it crumbles around them and come the new year we will march en-mass into Westminster and reclaim the parliament.

Yeah i know there is zero chance of that happening but if i screw my eyes shut really tight i can almost imagine a revolution in the air, on second thoughts that’ll never happen either will it?

want to protest?, let the police know first, there’s a good citizen

binners

Another load of totally unworkable, right-wing ideologically-driven nonsense that won’t survive first contact with the real world.

Seems like government policy is to keep pacifying the flag-waving thicko’s, xenophobes and racists even if that means producing more pie-in-the-sky, cake and eat it policy/fantasy that will be impossible to implement and financially catastrophic. And just from a practical point of view, the Home Office have an absolutely fantastic track record of administering this kind of thing.

I don’t think you have to be mystic Meg to know what will coming down the line right behind the proposal to kick all the foreign low paid workers out. Priti Patel tellingly referred to the policy as ‘encouraging the economically inactive into the economy’. So then… A Norman Tebbit ‘on yer bike’ retread, where if you’re unemployed then you’re off to Norfolk to pick fruit or we stop your benefits.

She then said that it’s also to encourage investment into automation. Automate what? picking fruit, cooking in cafe kitchens and wiping old peoples arses?

MoreCashThanDash

I’m sure all the Brexit voters will be delighted to know that the only jobs they are going to get back are the unpaid low skilled ones they haven’t been prepared to do for the last 20 years. At least until we get a few free trade deals under our belts involving free movement with wherever 🙄

And I love the fact that the qualifying salary is higher than the EO salary of the Home Office staff approving the application

dannyh
    Free Member

Automate what? picking fruit, cooking in cafe kitchens and wiping old peoples arses?

I reckon the fruit picking and arse wiping machines could be co-designed to share technology and thus drive down costs.

Just as soon as we harness unicorn-fart-power, obviously.

But it is just the BELIEF I lack, you see, there must be more entrepreneurial types out there just waiting for the sunlit uplands of brexit to provide them with the impetus to succeed.

kelvin

While it makes perfect sense to welcome those with PhDs and well paid posts from all over the world… it’s hardly the ‘sticking it to the global elite’ message of 2016, is it? As I’ve been boring on about for four years now, ending FoM is an attack on the freedoms of working class people… the well off and/or top level educated people will continue to have opportunities across Europe (including the UK)… yes, it’ll be more difficult for them to go and work, live and learn where they want, but it’ll become next to impossible for those without the means.

How much is Malta charging millionaires to get their EU passports and citizenships?

kelvin

totally **** a number of business i know of in Dumfries & Galloway

Did you see Newsnight last night? Watch it if you want your blood boiled.

Basically, Scotland’s businesses and services can go jump. Maitlis doing the English Nationlists in government’s job for them.

igm

As I’ve been boring on about for four years now, ending FoM is an attack on the freedoms of working class people

Going to have to agree with you there Kelvin. The main things stopping me working in other countries are my mastery or otherwise of languages and whether or not I want to live there. And that was true with FoM too – but I don’t represent the average.

dazh

I’m sure all the Brexit voters will be delighted to know that the only jobs they are going to get back are the unpaid low skilled ones

On the bright side it will expose the fecklessness and entitlement that generally exists in the UK population. Lets see if our native working class heroes step up to do the jobs that they cry are being ‘stolen’ by foreigners. I very much doubt they will. British jobs for british people!

kelvin

Same barriers for me igm… it’s not a selfish moan.

binners

Basically, Scotland’s businesses and services can go jump.

I don’t think they will be unique in being thrown under the Brexit bus there. They’ll be joining a long list of people who are about to be bent over.

It’d probably be quicker to make a list of which areas of the economy are not about to be sacrificed on the idealogical alter of Brexit

We’re about to witness a ‘rebalancing of the economy’ that is going to make the Thatcher revolution look like a minor bit of tinkering at the edges. All under the guise of nationalist populism. Only the hardest of hard Brexit’s is going to suffice. A complete and total break with European norms

There are going to be many, many losers and very few winners. I think we can all guess who those winners will be though.

BoardinBob

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51550421

This will surely decimate the hospitality industry in the UK. In the highlands for example, there are simply not enough people to fill the roles in the hotels and restaurants. In London and pretty much every big city, hotels are staffed predominantly non UK nationals.

Where do the government think we’re going to magic up people to fill these roles once we slam the door shut on FoM?

tjagain

One argument is that employers will have to put up wages to attract staff in these roles. £25000 however rules out nurses which is utterly ridiculous

dudeofdoom

As I’ve been boring on about for four years now, ending FoM is an attack on the freedoms of working class people

I agree with this as well.

I’m sure I know someone who voted leave then retired in Spain very happy to vote for its removal but took advantage of it 🙁

zilog6128

This will surely decimate the hospitality industry in the UK.

You’re saying you WANT to live in a society where the wealthy are waited on by poorly paid immigrants? Maybe these “big city” hotels need to change the way they operate, stop exploiting staff.

binners

With the right-wing ultra-neoliberal project that is Brexit, under a Tory government with a massive majority, I’m sure we can all count on an end to the exploitation of workers being one of the definite outcomes

kerley
    Free Member

Yeah it would be great if everyone in hospitality, care workers, fruit pickers etc,. earn’t £26K
    How that would actually work and the impacts it would have are not simple though.

dudeofdoom

Dya think the shit will hit the fan/barn door/face before we leave at the end of the year or at some point in the next 9 months?, for some reason September is raising my spidey sense hackles, i hope it crumbles around them and come the new year we will march en-mass into Westminster and reclaim the parliament.

Yeah i know there is zero chance of that happening

Dunno I have a feeling that if the truck drivers strike they’d be in a world of pain, no petrol or food on the shelves and Boris and his cronies will be nailed to the wall by the their own.

kimbers

The points based system is just for show, it’ll end up with the same amount of immigration , low skilled & unskilled, but people will believe the hype.

edhornby

Zilo – you’re not wrong about wages of the lowest paid, but that doesn’t solve the problem that UK labour market isn’t as mobile/geographically distributed as politicians assume, and pushing staff costs will push the room price up which makes us less competitive because the UK will be a lot more expensive than France, Germany and all the other EU countries with tourism, services, banks etc

kelvin

Maybe these “big city” hotels need to change the way they operate, stop exploiting staff.

Rural hotels are even more reliant on non-locally born staff than city hotels. People move. We need that. I fear it’ll be decades before that fact properly informs government policy again.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Dunno I have a feeling that if the truck drivers strike they’d be in a world of pain, no petrol or food on the shelves and Boris and his cronies will be nailed to the wall by the their own.

Fantasies of karmic retribution for those who engineered all of this are just that. Fantasies. They will continue living high and dry, profiting from crisis and moving on to soft-retirement and book deals as soon as. The divided electorate shall be blaming each other and the EU via social media. Tabloids and TV Punch and Judy reality shows such as QT and Piers TM will stir the pot and keep it boiling. All the usual suspects calling each other ‘liars’ and ‘losers’. Then the Next Leader arrives to mop up and lead us to Glory. His supporters won’t be nearly so cuddly as these posh, narcissistic crisis capitalists.

BoardinBob

You’re saying you WANT to live in a society where the wealthy are waited on by poorly paid immigrants? Maybe these “big city” hotels need to change the way they operate, stop exploiting staff.

The wages of the hospitality industry is a completely separate discussion.

What about those that have come to work in the hospitality industry in the UK for cultural enrichment, professional development, to advance their English skills etc?

All gone. No more.

dudeofdoom

Characteristics Tradeable Points
    Offer of job by approved sponsor No 20
    Job at appropriate skill level No 20
    Speaks English at required level No 10
    Salary of £20,480 (minimum) – £23,039 Yes 0
    Salary of £23,040 – £25,599 Yes 10
    Salary of £25,600 or above Yes 20
    Job in a shortage occupation
    (as designated by the MAC) Yes 20
    Education qualification:
    PhD in subject relevant to the job Yes 10
    Education qualification:
    PhD in a STEM subject relevant to
    the job Yes 20

I think Kimbers right.

binners

If you’re in any doubt what is driving this then there’s a Tory MP (Tobias Ellwood) on Five Live now echoing Priti Patels message this morning.

This is about ‘driving the economically inactive back into the workplace’ and reducing the benefits bill.

It has been pointed out to him, as it was with Priti Patel that with unemployment at an all time low, the ‘economically inactive’ are mainly the sick, disabled, full time carers, students and pensioners.

So we’re still none the wiser as to who’s supposed to do these jobs? People in wheelchairs, perhaps? Your gran?

It’s clear already that this is completely unworkable nonsense. Unusual for one of Joris Bonsons bright ideas

sobriety
    Free Member

unemployment at an all time low

I read many years ago that the unemployment figures were in real danger of getting so low that the lie was exposed, don’t tell me that the idiots in charge actually believe them?

binners

Well they can have it one way or the other. Not both.

Either the unemployment figures are accurate, in which case this policy is absolutely ludicrous, or the unemployment figures are total bollocks.

Hmmmmmm…. I wonder which it is?

dudeofdoom

Fantasies of karmic retribution for those who engineered all of this are just that. Fantasies.

No fantasies here for retribution,they loved Thatcher but soon put the knife in when they thought they’d lose an election with her.

dannyh
    Free Member

No fantasies here for retribution,they loved Thatcher but soon put the knife in when they thought they’d lose an election with her.

Which is great when you are trying to get rid of deranged leadership and replace it with something more sensible.

I’m not quite sure that would happen nowadays.

molgrips
    Free Member

In amongst the ranting there is a discussion on economics to be had here if anyone’s interested. But I suspect not.

She then said that it’s also to encourage investment into automation. Automate what?

There are lots of machines that exist to do manual jobs that I’ve never seen used here. Stuff like laying block paving, digging out tree stumps and such. I suspect that we don’t see them here because we can employ immigrants on a low wage instead. Question is, is this a good idea? Too much cheap work might just keep people trapped in low skill jobs, because the people who work in them get no training or investment. If there are fewer people to work in the low skill jobs and they can become automated, the proportion of people in higher skilled jobs would increase by default which could/should(?) result in growth of skills? I’m not sure but it’s worth thinking about.

I know this is a thread for remainer ranting so I’m not expecting any intelligent economist answers… 😉

binners

There are lots of machines that exist to do manual jobs that I’ve never seen used here. Stuff like laying block paving, digging out tree stumps and such.

Molls… go and get a quote to get your driveway block paved or some tree stumps removed then get back to us and see if you still think those are low skill, low paid jobs

And when you’re in Sleepy Meadows care home for the terminally bewildered, which one of those machines would you like to wipe your arse? 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

which one of those machines would you like to wipe your arse?

Tree stump remover, got to be.

kimbers

digging out tree stumps and such.

like these guys?

https://www.ruskins.co.uk/tree-moving

null

watched a row of them moved at my last work, pretty cool to watch

it might be true that we have underinvested in tech, but I see no reason why this will suddenly be reversed

the collapse in apprenticeships in the last decade has as much if not more to do with the privitasiation of learn direct as FOM

technical education in this country is woeful, weakening of unions also contributed to heavily this

whats not mentioned when tories get a raging semi about ‘australian points based immigration’ is that student loans in australia can be used for technical education, not just uni.

There’s also deathly silence about social care, either costs for this will have to rise massively or these rules will have to be changed on immigration

Its pretty obvious that cummings envisages a services, R&D, finance based economy, with manufacturing going from 20 to 5% ? of the economy, but those red wall seats are going to be hit the very hardest by this, wholesale education & training reforms will be needed to stop these regions getting a repeat shafting, exactly as they did as the mines closed.

dudeofdoom

And when you’re in Sleepy Meadows care home for the terminally bewildered, which one of those machines would you like to wipe your arse? 😉

After meeting the minimum requirement retirement age of 95 and having your ‘Britanniac’ care plan fully paid up to the minimum 300,000 uk$ of course.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not expecting any intelligent economist answers…

It would probably help had you made an intelligent point in the first place.

dudeofdoom

whats not mentioned when tories get a raging semi about ‘australian points based immigration’ is that student loans in australia can be used for technical education, not just uni.

They don’t really get a raging semi over it they just need something to get in the papers and on the news that makes their believers think happy Tory thoughts.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 13,618 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.