Home Forums Bike Forum Brand x dropper post not locking (and not a problem with the cable/rod).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Brand x dropper post not locking (and not a problem with the cable/rod).
  • anono

Good news – I picked up one of the bargain brand x dropper posts in the crc fire sale.

Bad news – after a couple of weeks its failed.

It won’t lock at all.  As soon as you sit on the post it drops. But when you take your weight off it, it rises.

Problem happened quite suddenly during a ride

Definitely not an issue with the cable or the the actuation rod getting stuck – I didn’t fancy risking a return to crc/evans/ashley so I’ve taken it apart to check.

Any suggestions for what might be going wrong??

quentyn

It’s not the cable being too tight is it ? Does it lock if the cable tension is released completely?

DickBarton

Make sure the cable isn’t pulled through frame…it might not allow the cable to go far enough to lock the post…if it suddenly happened then likely the outer cable has been pulled and now stretched.
    If it isn’t that, check the inner cable isn’t too tight and not going far enough to allow the lock to happen.

anono

Thanks, but certainly not a problem with the cable getting stuck.  I’ve taken it apart and disconnected the internal cable/cord. Still the same problem.

Whats obvious is that the brass keys are way smaller than they are on the other ascend posts I’ve got.

racereadysuspension
    Free Member

As you’ve already ruled out the cable and actuator, it sadly means the cartridge has failed prematurely. As these are fully sealed units there’s nothing you can do to repair. It’s not possible to open up the cartridge due to the rolled and crimped ends. There is no other option other than to source a new cartridge.

In light of the fact that Brand-X were owned by the Wiggle Chainreaction group, spares are currently unavailable. However, the Raceface Aeffect droppers are identical to the Brand-X Ascend and as such all spares are identical. The only constraint is that the Raceface Aeffect cartridges are only available for internally routed versions. They’re also £70rrp due to the packaging saying Raceface vs the £30rrp for Brand-X packaging. The cartridges are identical though

anono

@raceready Thanks, although not quite what I wanted to hear.

My post is externally routed so can’t even use the race face spare.

racereadysuspension
    Free Member

@anono
    If yours is 170mm you’re in luck as I have two left in stock

anono

It is… I’ll pm you.  Cheers !

anono

Big thanks to race ready!!

Firstly for taking the time to respond, followed up with quick delivery and great price.

Thanks also to STW – without which none of this would be possible.

funktopus
    Free Member

@racereadysuspension do you still have the other one? Today my externally routed 170mm Brand X Ascend XL suddenly developed the exact same problem. Would love to take it off your hands if it’s still in stock.

benpinnick

ot enough air is often the issue – they need a certain amount of air pressure for the lock to work right.

chakaping

And sometimes the actuator can foul on something in the frame (e.g. bottle boss in my case) and stick “open”.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.