Home Forums Bike Forum Brake rotors 220mm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brake rotors 220mm
  • peter1979
    Free Member

Apparently my brake rotors are worn to the point that they need replacing so I’m looking for suggestions for replacements. It’s for a full fat ebike, and the current ones are 220mm SRAM. I’m running Shimano Sian brakes if that makes a difference.

The guy in the shop suggested galfer but I can only see 223mm, so would that mean I need to find a new adapter?

silentgrunt

Honestly you can’t go wrong with Shimano rotors IMO

I run these and they are absolutely fine – https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-sm-rt66-6-bolt-rotor-58403.html

£10 for the 220mm is a bargain price too

Onzadog
    Free Member

The difference between 220 and 223 is a slim washer under the caliper both ends. It’s 1.5mm radial difference

Tracey

I think Galfer rotors are thicker than SRAM or Shimano rotors. Might be a tight fit with a new rotor and new pads

dc1988

I use the Magura MDR-P rotor, it’s thicker as well as larger so should dissipate heat and resist bending better than standard thickness rotors. It’s a fair bit cheaper than the SRAM HS2 as well

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve got the Hope 220/200 ones on my ebike. Looking at the wear pattern on the 200 I’m suspecting it’s actually 203 (even though they only made these ebike rotors in round numbers at the time). If your calipers have the space I’d go as thick as possible – a 220mm rotor gets more easily warped/bent than a smaller one – mine are 2.3mm thick.

bikesandboots

Magura MDR-P rotor, it’s thicker as well as larger so should dissipate heat and resist bending better

Also, just look at the thing!

scruff
    Free Member

I have a 223 Galfer on my ebike, with galfer adapter I think and magura MT7s.
    Im convinced it makes my forks significantly flex more (160 mm lyriks) when braking hard.

kelvin

Might be a tight fit with a new rotor and new pads

It is. New Zees and Galfer on my new build… just about impossible to make silent at slow speeds… but some big wet days out and that’ll soon change.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Uberbike ones have been good for me so far, no warping issues despite being quite light for 2mm thick 220mm rotors

joebristol

I use a Sram centreline 220mm rotor with a Code RSC on the front of my Sentinel. Moving from 200mm to 220mm gave a useful increase in braking power I thought.

The centreline in 220mm are said to be  2mm thick rather than 1.85mm thick (smaller sizes). I do notice when they get hot that they run slightly – they don’t when cold. So they must be slightly warping under heat.

I think if buying again I’d try the new hs2 rotors.

a11y

I ran 2.0mm thick Magura Storm HC rotors in 203 and 180 with my Shimano Zees without any clearance issues.Unsure they’re available in bigger than 203mm though.

Briefly tried a 2.3mm thick TRP rotor in my Zees but couldn’t get it set up not to rub. Now swapped to TRP brakes with their 2.3mm rotors (220f/203r) and brilliant.

scruff
    Free Member

I have 2.3 TRPs in my Codes, works fine.

honourablegeorge

peter1979
    Apparently my brake rotors are worn to the point that they need replacing so I’m looking for suggestions for replacements. It’s for a full fat ebike, and the current ones are 220mm SRAM. I’m running Shimano Sian brakes if that makes a difference.

The guy in the shop suggested galfer but I can only see 223mm, so would that mean I need to find a new adapter?

I went from 220mm SRAM disc to a 223mm Galfer disc on the front of the ebike, and yes,Ii changed adapter, the Galfer ones are a tenner or so

You could bodge with a washer but much better off with the proper adapter, as a bonus the Galfeer one uses four bolts, instead of threading a long bolt into the soft material of the fork and loosening again whenever you need to bleed/align etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.