Home Forums Bike Forum Bob Ibex shock service/replace/upgrade?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bob Ibex shock service/replace/upgrade?
  • BigEls
    Free Member

Hi all, I just got a tatty old Bob Ibex trailer.

The main shaft of the stock is corroded and in a sorry state. How do I get the shaft off the threads body as there looks like a lip or circlip keeping it in there.  Any help appreciated.

Have others upgraded to a different cheap shock with some dampner as the Bob one just looks like just a coil spring?

Anyone upgraded the pivots to bearings?

BigEls
    Free Member

Anyone with a Bob Ibex trailer to the the rescue?

Ambrose

I’ve got an Ibex. From memory it’s a really simple undamped unit. I’ve never serviced it in any way at all. I’ll take a look tomorrow if you can wait.

BigEls
    Free Member

Amazing. I can wait.  No sweat.

Thanks Ambrose. The centre shaft is corroded and stiff. Needs a refurb if I can or replaced with another shock.

Ambrose

I stripped it down as far as I could but couldn’t get past the circlip. Internally I have nothing more to offer, sorry about that. TBF my unit despite being almost 20 yo is in really good condition. Once the spring is removed it’s clear that it is an undamped set-up. The plain bushings are some kind of plastic. I’d suggest that they are some kind of compliant substance to take into account the slack build tolerances. With this in mind I wouldn’t replace with bearings especially considering whereabouts they are and the exposure to cack they will inevitably be subjected to.

Ambrose

Edit to add that there’s some kind of basic (friction?) damping.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.