Home Forums Chat Forum Block paving drive cost per sq/m

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Block paving drive cost per sq/m
  • spooky_b329

Considering pushing the boat out and actually paying someone to sort my drive out, the cost is about what my gut was telling me but I think my wife was hoping it would be a bit cheaper.

With high demand for home improvements and short supply of materials, we’ve only managed to get one quote so interested to hear any opinion of the cost.

Break up steeply sloping concrete drive (23 metres) and dig down 230mm, including removing a fair bit of turf, poor quality topsoil and chalk (probably two or three 8 wheel tipper loads on top of the normal quantity) to extend the drive.

100mm crushed concrete and 50mm sand and then blocks.

3.2 metres aco raindrain and a new soakaway.

They’ve quoted £14k for 138sq/m of drive, which is about £100 per sq/m. Bear in mind extra garden removal and the steep slope which probably makes it a bit more fiddly. Are they in the right ballpark? Still trying for a couple more quotes no one else has committed to come and take a look yet!

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Don’t do it, you will spend the rest of your life cleaning and weeding it.
    The worst thing I ever did years ago.

Think I’d look at concrete or epoxy if doing it again….

Merak

^ he’s right you know.

You want that stamped epoxy that looks like cobbles, or anything you want it to.

It’s such a huge amount of money, you want to be able to enjoy a maintenance free driveway…you’ll never have to weed again.

wzzzz
    Free Member

As above…

I’d get an exposed aggregate concrete driveway.

https://www.creative-driveways.co.uk/exposed-aggregate-concrete/

spooky_b329

Interesting, thanks. I was considering concrete but I’d like it done properly with nice joints, troweled rounded edges, good brushed finish…some of the websites I looked at had some pretty average looking efforts in their galleries!

However I wasn’t aware of the exposed aggregate style concrete, looks like it’s got potential.

I don’t think imprinted concrete would be suitable as I have to reverse my rwd camper up it…it needs a run up to get up without using (and instantly smoking) the clutch and when it’s wet it’s fairly easy to run out of traction. I’m not sure epoxy would cope either, especially as the extra bit of drive would be turned/dry steered on so would probably peel the epoxy. And it would need a new concrete drive for the epoxy anyway the current one isn’t structurally sound.

airvent
    Free Member

For balance we have a 22 year old block paved driveway and it’s fine, no loose blocks and the weeds don’t get through. They might have had a weed barrier put down before laying it or something.

martin_t
    Free Member

If you do decide to go with block paving, I would suggest going for clay rather than concrete.

Concrete pavers are dyed to achieve the colour. Over a few years this fades and they all end up looking grey regardless. On the other hand, with clay pavers the colour is inherent in the material. Indeed as they weather if anything they look better. They are a fair bit more expensive than concrete pavers but then the cost of the pavers only makes up a minor percentage of the overall cost.

mechanicaldope

We have block paving and it was there when we moved in 12 years ago. An occasional weed and its fine. Cant stand the look of the stamped resin drives. Think they look absolutely terrible. If you do that you may as well replace what grass you have left with astro for the complete barbie mansion look.

jim25

£100 per metre. London based

spooky_b329

Annoyingly I can’t find anyone that advertises exposed aggregate concrete in the South East!

I’m not sure I want to pay someone to practise their technique on my drive, I’d rather use someone that can show me a few examples of recent jobs!

mlltt

The stamped stuff is okay until it’s cold and damp and then it’s very slippery.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Block paving drive cost per sq/m’ is closed to new replies.