Home Forums Bike Forum Bivvy tarp – any better than the Decathlon one for the price?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bivvy tarp – any better than the Decathlon one for the price?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got one, poles are made from re-cycled boat anchors, but the tarp itself has been fine.

jamiep
    Free Member

1kg is heavy for bikepacking. Alpkit’s Rig is certainly more spendy but a reasonable balance of price/weight and is made of material that dries out quicker

dknwhy

I’ve got the decathlon one and it is great for the money, in fact a bargain but I wouldn’t use it on my bike as it is far to heavy, bulky and takes too long to dry out.
    It’s huge as well!

ninfan
    Free Member

Tenth Wonder are amazing quality and value

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

as it is far to heavy,

It’s huge as well!

The obvious solution is to cut it in half, then it’s a 500g tarp :-p

AlexSimon

The standard ‘which budget tarp’ answer used to be the DD Hammocks
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/tarps

They used to be £30 from ebay for the 3×3, but I haven’t checked recently. They’ve got lots of attachment points and are pretty light. A tad noisy in rain compared to some, but very good overall.

scotroutes

The whole advantage of the tarp/bivvy set-up is to reduce weight and bulk. On that basis, I’d just pay the extra and get something lighter/more packable.

flashes
    Free Member

You can get lighter tents……………

Chew
    Free Member

Avoid uPVC tarps. They are heavy, dont back down small and will soak up water and take an age to dry out.

Look for Silnylon. Much lighter, packs much smaller and doesnt absorb water, although more pricy.

Alpkit are a good place to start as well as a look around ebay

joshvegas
    Free Member

Second the dd tarp if its just for trying out strong enough to make a decent tent too!

Rich
    Free Member

1kg includes the ridiculously heavy poles which you wouldn’t take backpacking.

The tarp alone weighs around 600g which is reasonable for the size.

I just wish it had a few more tie-out points.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Agree with flashes it is so heavy you might as well get a tent.

numbnut
    Free Member

The Terra Nova tarps are worth a look.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bivvy tarp – any better than the Decathlon one for the price?’ is closed to new replies.