Home Forums Bike Forum Bivvy spot around Ilkley/Skipton/Bolton Abbey?

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mcfly.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bivvy spot around Ilkley/Skipton/Bolton Abbey?
  • hardtailonly

Hi, posted this query up on the Bearbones site, but figured this place probably has more traffic, and likely some local knowledge …

A mate and I are planning a quick bivvy Thursday night out from Leeds. Have a few hours to play with on the Thursday, but need to be within a couple of hours ride back to Leeds for Friday morning. Looking at options around Ilkley/Bolton Abbey/Skipton.

The ground is pretty wet under wheel, with more rain on the way between now and then. So, somewhere that drains well would be good, also fairly well protected from westerly showers/breeze.

I’ve been eyeing up Barden Moor, think there are some shooting huts up there, anyone know whether they would make a good bivvy spot, and whether you’d get away with using one?

Or, any other suggestions?

Ta.

chestrockwell

Barden Moor is very exposed and very grim in poor weather. A better spot would be Skipton Moor, along the Roman Road. Once you get above Skipton and past the quarry there are plenty of spots for a couple of kms that offer good shelter if you jump over the wall on your right where the trees are. Follow the track until it levels off and bingo!

Used to camp up there all the time as a child and seen plenty of people doing the same as you over the last few years.

montgomery
    Free Member

Huts like these, you mean? Spent the odd night up there; the available local water source is a bit grim, decent enough spot along a dry through route otherwise.

martinhutch

There are a few spots tucked away on the east/south east side of Barden moor, one in particular springs to mind if you need shelter from westerlies. But there is a fair bit of works traffic up the main track to the higher reservoir at the moment, and the gamekeepers are out and about, so you’d need to be pretty discreet.

mrchrist

Ilkley moor has a few options.

You could find a spot in the woods at High Moor by buckstones at the far end of the moor.

I have camped out out the moor last year with no bother. There are a few dry stones wall you could camp next too as well. Loads of options.

Fyi – Took me 2 hrs to cycle back to Ilkley from the city centre last year with a heavy pack and going via esholt, chevin and the canal.

hardtailonly

@montgomery … yeah, that’s the kind of thing.

@martinhutch
    … Guess we’d aim to be arriving 7/8pm, leaving 7ish the next morning. Not sure what kind of shifts the gamekeepers keep,do you think we’d be OK, or are we better off looking elsewhere? Any particular spots you could recommemd more specifically?

Have bivvied on Ilkley Moor and up Denton Moor / Lippersley Pike before … Guess they’d have the advantage of not having gamekeepers around?

mrchrist

I have seen estate staff around the farm above Denton but never in the moor.

mcfly
    Free Member

Top of Beamsley Beacon is a great spot, with a brilliant view to wake up to

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.